Blade Steel Comparison

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yes, without question, that class of steel doesn't hold a candle to what is available.
It doesn't have to "hold a candle to what is available", it just has to get the job done to my (or anyone else's) satisfaction. If my worthless knife gets through a bull without dulling, I'm satisfied. Lamborghini's don't make all other vehicles worthless either. ;)

sndmn11

WKR
It doesn't have to "hold a candle to what is available", it just has to get the job done to my (or anyone else's) satisfaction. If my worthless knife gets through a bull without dulling, I'm satisfied. Lamborghini's don't make all other vehicles worthless either. ;)
But they might make the Miata worthless to the person who appreciates the Lamborghini. I am happy you like your knife. I think the original question was about a comparison of steels, so I answered.

I really like this chart:

OP
K

kpbrown31

FNG
Truth be told, I’ve gone to exclusively using the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife for all field dressing; the weight savings, never-worry edge, and keeping things clean with frequent swap outs has made me a believer over the last 6 years. And my favorite fixed blade hunting knife that zipped through elk like butter was an old buck vanguard s30v with the Bos heat treatment…like butter
If I'm around the house and skinning animals then I'm okay with the smaller blades, but I don't like the risk of accidently cutting myself while changing blades in the backcountry. Although a small risk, not something I want to risk losing a couple of days traveling back to town and missing out on hunting time.

And something about a fixed blade just feels more real than disposable blades

manitou1

WKR
If you are in the $200+\- range, you might look at Bark River knives. They offer Elmax, S3, S30v,S90vS45v,s35v, A2 blades on their knives.

Mpw20

FNG
My vote goes to Magnacut and 3v. In my non scientific testing they field dress, skin and breakdown deer better than the other steel mentioned here. That said every butcher I’ve ever watched uses regular kitchen knives and a steel to produce same or better results.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Several years ago I was having trouble keeping an edge on my 5 or 6 high carbide blades. I could get then sharp but it seemed to dull easy. I started reading on one of the blade forums and learned what was going on. The Readers Digest version is that I was getting the "other" steel sharp but not the carbides in the steel. It is impossible to sharpen and takes something harder than a stone to sharpen carbide like a diamond plate. After I bought diamond plates for my Apex Pro, it made all the difference in the world. My currently used hunting knife is made from M390 steel and I don't need to touch it in the field. The most use with this particular blade in one season was skinning and quartering 2 moose and 2 caribou. This was with two of us working on the animals together so not all with my knife. But I would use my knife for cutting down the back hide and neck which on a moose is crazy tough and thick. Even after the season it felt just as sharp but I still re-hone it because I want it as sharp as possible and also I enjoy doing it! I have had great luck with S30v, Elmax and M390 once I learned how to properly sharpen them. I don't own a blade with S90V so can't comment.