Blade Steel Comparison

kpbrown31

FNG
Is S35VN steel becoming the new favorite in hunting knives? Say in comparison to S30V or S90V? Currently in the market for a good fixed blade knife (~$200) to carry on backcountry hunts. The Argali Carbon and either the Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter or Saddle Mountain Skinner are a few knives I'm considering.

It seems on here that most agree that S90V holds an edge great, but can be a little difficult to bring an edge back to while out hunting.

sndmn11

WKR
S90v is easy to sharpen, I'd say easier than the other two you listed because it will wear significantly less. Just like it is easier for someone who is in shape to train for a marathon versus an out of shape person.

I think s35vn is too similar to s30v to matter, and I think s30v is close to worthless.

You should be able to get s90v havalon sharp and keep it that way with minimal effort and no special items.

kpk

WKR
I agree with sndmn. I've got a bunch of Benchmades in s30v and have not been impressed. I think if you were using s90v and at least taking decent care of it, you shouldn't have to worry about it dressing an animal or two.

I've now replaced my "nice" benchmades with a spyderco mule team in magnacut. I REALLY like the el cheapo Victorinox knives for work horses though - very hard to beat.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think s35vn is too similar to s30v to matter, and I think s30v is close to worthless.
Worthless? My S30V knife has been fantastic. I started using it in 2012, and after completely breaking down a big bull, I got home and it would still slice paper. I've used it on several other elk, a moose, and a sheep since, and it's in my pack......sharpened and ready to go for the next one. I'm sure there are "better" steels out there, but I haven't once thought that mine was lacking to the point of needing to upgrade.

sndmn11

WKR
Worthless? My S30V knife has been fantastic. I started using it in 2012, and after completely breaking down a big bull, I got home and it would still slice paper. I've used it on several other elk, a moose, and a sheep since, and it's in my pack......sharpened and ready to go for the next one. I'm sure there are "better" steels out there, but I haven't once thought that mine was lacking to the point of needing to upgrade.

Yes, without question, that class of steel doesn't hold a candle to what is available.

I used a Benchmade Altitude in AK for moose. That was a joke. I could get about 30 seconds of work before it was completely dull. My sv30 and and sv45 knife were fantastic with a quick touch up in the in middle. Not saying there isn’t better but my experience was not great with 90. I do like 35 and really like 45 so far but this is like Chevy/Ford. We like different things for different reasons.

sndmn11

WKR
I used a Benchmade Altitude in AK for moose. That was a joke. I could get about 30 seconds of work before it was completely dull. My sv30 and and sv45 knife were fantastic with a quick touch up in the in middle. Not saying there isn’t better but my experience was not great with 90. I do like 35 and really like 45 so far but this is like Chevy/Ford. We like different things for different reasons.
The s45vn knives I have sent out have gotten favorable feedback. I think Magnacut and s45vn are two great alternatives (for stainless) with all around characteristics that most want, the former being the bee's knees.

My experience with sharpening the hard wear steels is that people aren't hitting the apex and far fewer are polishing off the burr. If one can feel the burr the job isn't done. With a hard wear steel the burr is easier to leave behind but folds over in use and the apex is lost because it is covered. Whereas with a low wear steel that burr works away with ease and you are using the edge to cut.

manitou1

WKR
My S30v will go through 6-8 animals with just a quick touch up on a steel. Thinking back, over the past several years I have never actually touched this knife to a stone or sharpening belt... just a ceramic steel! I break down multiple animals a year with it, but butchering does go to other knives.
Heat treat and blade geometry make a difference also.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
If I recall reading, s35vn was an improvement according to crucible, of sv30. By adding a more malleable alloy it was less brittle and tougher on bones, knots etc. wear resistance or edge retention is slightly less.

For my use cpm’s: s35vn, cm 154, cm D2 and 3v are my steels of choice. Great balance of toughness, edge holding water resistance. All hard to sharpen and in use difficult to discern they feel similar. Also add elmax and love good ole A2 as favorites.

I also love fallkniven 3g, just don’t know long term it’s toughness comparatively but cuts great great edge retention and sharpens a bit easier than all of above except A2.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I’m an S30v fan, have a Spyderco paramilitary 2 as my EDC. I abuse it, and it keeps an edge.

I am interested to see others opinions as well, but me I can’t imagine getting significantly better.

OP
K

kpbrown31

FNG
S90v is easy to sharpen, I'd say easier than the other two you listed because it will wear significantly less. Just like it is easier for someone who is in shape to train for a marathon versus an out of shape person.

You should be able to get s90v havalon sharp and keep it that way with minimal effort and no special items.
Interesting. I'm no expert, but just figured the s35v would be somewhat favorable since it seems the Argali Carbon is a very popular knife and I noticed that's what it is made of.

OP
K

kpbrown31

FNG
I agree with sndmn. I've got a bunch of Benchmades in s30v and have not been impressed. I think if you were using s90v and at least taking decent care of it, you shouldn't have to worry about it dressing an animal or two.

I've now replaced my "nice" benchmades with a spyderco mule team in magnacut. I REALLY like the el cheapo Victorinox knives for work horses though - very hard to beat.
Did you have any Benchmades in s90v that you didn't like? Benchmade seems to be a favorite by many, but maybe I just need to forgo any of the s30v blades that they put out and pay the extra $$$ for the s90v line.

sndmn11

WKR
Interesting. I'm no expert, but just figured the s35v would be somewhat favorable since it seems the Argali Carbon is a very popular knife and I noticed that's what it is made of.
Being a low wear steel, it is easy to machine and presents as sharp easier. It is also stainless, and comes across as improved (higher number and add an N) due to the niobium but that seems to have translated to being tougher at the expense of edge retention.

sndmn11

WKR

feanor

WKR
If you have a price range of 200 or so, you may want to look hard at the premiums steels. I personally would be upset to spend that kind of money for S35v. Of course you’re paying for the brand too with some companies. S90V is flat out great for skinning. You may want to hold out a little longer and see if some knives in Magnacut come up too.

kpk

WKR
Did you have any Benchmades in s90v that you didn't like? Benchmade seems to be a favorite by many, but maybe I just need to forgo any of the s30v blades that they put out and pay the extra $$$ for the s90v line.

I do not have any in s90v. I've got 4 that are s30v. 2 were gifts and 2 I picked up cheap on clearance at scheels (before they started rolling out the s90v models).

I really like everything about the benchmades - other than the steel I have in them. If you're already spending benchmade money, spend a little more for the better steel IMO.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv never been a big fan of s30v or s35vn. They don’t really excel in anything. Iv found them to be fragile on the edge, more prone to chip.

S90v and elmax are good steel but I don’t think most have the know how to put a good edge on one. I prefer elmax on my kitchen knives. It holds a hell of an edge.

3V and AEBL are also up there on my list for basically stainless and easier to sharpen.

While I can get along with carbon steel on a hunting knife it’s not preferred by me anymore. Just too much maintenance needed.

When discussing any of the steels above, proper heat treatment is going to make as much of a difference as the name of it.

Yes, without question, that class of steel doesn't hold a candle to what is available.
I have several benchmades in S30v and S90v, including a saddle mountain skinner(30) and altitude (90). My saddle mountain skinner did a bear, 2 mule deer and 2 bull elk before it needed sharpening. Thats pretty impressive. My S30v blades have performed extremely well. I have kind of turned into an M390 fanboy, but my S30v knives probably still get a bulk of the work for hunting and edc.