BlackOvis Anchor Point 800 Fill Welded Down Jacket and Pant Live Field Review

The no DWR on puffys is just plain dumb in this day and age. It probably makes them a little heavier and they wanted a certain weight for marketing.

Just had L/M jackets delivered today along with M pants. They're now including a packet of DWR wash in the shipment which I think is a nice touch considering the anchor point line doesnt have any dwr. Maybe enough guys messaged them about using a dwr wash that they felt obligated? Definitely a negative for a lot of people myself included. Another big talking point with these is the seam welding. Theres much more surface area without insulation than a sewn through baffle as seen in the previous pictures. I didn't purchase these to be an absolute furnace so its not a huge deal to me. This pant/jacket combo isnt something I'd grab when things are absolutely frigid. Overall I like the jacket but I'm not blown away. The quality seems good but the fit isnt for me. Its more of a boxy cut and the wide suit jacket like shoulders are a bit odd. Im 6' 165 and the M fit me everywhere but the sleeves. With a T shirt and peloton 240 underneath and my binos up to my face the cuffs rode up my wrists about 3 inches. My elbows and shoulders felt tight as well. Im kinda lanky but have never had anyone comment about having freakishly long arms. My L kenai and L peloton 240 sleeves are right on the money for reference. The L anchor point sleeves were perfect but I had way too much room in the body.

The M pants barely fit my 33in inseam. Theyre snug in the thigh and just right on my 32in waist. The extra reinforced material is a nice touch on the knees and butt. I care about the fit of a puffy pant less than a jacket since Im definitely not walking around in the pants.

Long story short all 3 items are going back. I think the pricepoint is good and theyre a decent value for the down fill but I couldn't overlook the fit considering there's no treated down, no factory DWR and welded seams.

Thank you for this info, exactly what I was looking for. I'm 6'1 and only 145 so I was worrying about the M being too short and the L being too wide/boxy. The pants would definitely be too short for me too.

Thank you for this info, exactly what I was looking for. I'm 6'1 and only 145 so I was worrying about the M being too short and the L being too wide/boxy. The pants would definitely be too
Thank you for this info, exactly what I was looking for. I'm 6'1 and only 145 so I was worrying about the M being too short and the L being too wide/boxy. The pants would definitely be too short for me too.
I think you’d be surprised with the inseam. I bought a size large and was worried the inseam would be too short. They end right at the the top of the dorsum of my foot. I believe size large are a 31” inseam and they actually aren’t too short. Even for me with a 34” inseam. I actually think cutting them short is a good idea.

Bearsears

WKR
So the NIkwax TX direct was about 50% effective for me. I have some Atsko Permanent Water Guard spray showing up on Friday Im going to try.
Update: the Atsko worked much better. Water is beading up and rolling off decently now. If there is pressure applied to a water spot it will still wet out like most dwrs but at this point I'd say its functional. Id say it would do fine in the first few minutes of a storm while I'm digging rain gear out or from condensation in a tent but I wouldn't trust it long in wet conditions.

Had a chance for the first outing with the jacket and pants last weekend on a two hour ride in North Idaho out looking for sheds. Odin is not fond of the Quad ride🤣.....have to say first impression is these are a very good buy at this price point. Sizes run true for my normal fit large in pretty much everything and both larges fit perfect. Bottoms were layered over one layer of standard pants and the jacket over two layers. Temps were in the low 20s so it was a brisk morning but I was snuggly. Hopefully Mother Nature will keep things in North Idaho on the cool side over the next month to thoroughly test...ask away with questions.

***Update 8/3/21*** Full Review Available Here.
Good to know. I purchased a jacket and my son was laughing at me because when I held it up to the light at the French doors you could see light coming in from the doors through it. He bought a mountaineering down jacket from England with a waterproof shell and has a lot more down in it and folds down to about 8”x12”

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I've been following this thread for months. My question is if you were wearing these pants and sitting on snow or some place you knew was wet, wouldn't you just wear a pair of rain pants over them? I have done some winter backpacking with my down jacket and when I know snow is there, I just put my rain jacket over it.

I know its not cold yet but is everyone still enjoying their Anchor Points? I see they are still sold out in Large for tops and bottoms.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I dropped a message to Black Ovis about the Anchor Point Pants to see when they would be back in stock and if they would have DWR. They said they should be coming available shortly and the new pants would have DWR applied. I was also told the price would be the same.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dropped a message to Black Ovis about the Anchor Point Pants to see when they would be back in stock and if they would have DWR. They said they should be coming available shortly and the new pants would have DWR applied. I was also told the price would be the same.

That’s fantastic. Thanks for doing the leg work to get that info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spoke with blackovis customer service a couple minutes ago and they said the new shipment will be the same as the original with no DWR.

I‘m going to try Grangers 2 in 1: Down Wash and DWR. I‘ll let you all know how it went. I’ve had really good results with just about any piece with Grangers products.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
September 14th - 18th
Temps were 28-32° F at night

I slept in the Anchor Point bottoms. It was a fantastic way to make the cold night comfortable. On the “warmer” nights I zipped them off without leaving my sleeping bag.

8500’-10,000’ with lots of wind during the day.
They simply packed down in my Kifaru light and small. During the early morning glassing sessions the side zips made it easy to toss them on while I sat and glassed. Then I’d pop them off to relocate and repeated the process.

Pro Tip: the pant legs are wider at the thigh than the ankle (obviously), so when you’re wearing full sized boots, bring the zippers to knee hight for easy zip-off pant removal.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used my jacket and pants all season. I had to add a lot of layers to help the jacket keep up. It’s a jacket, not a winter coat.
The pants rode in the pack all season and they were a life saver several times.
Still have the water repelling issue, but on dry days, they were great.

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I used my jacket and pants all season. I had to add a lot of layers to help the jacket keep up. It’s a jacket, not a winter coat.
The pants rode in the pack all season and they were a life saver several times.
Still have the water repelling issue, but on dry days, they were great.

That is good to hear. I am not too worried about the jacket since i picked up the Kiraru LPP. I am mostly looking at the pants since the price point is pretty good. Have a late season montana rifle elk hunt coming up next year that i am preparing for.

nacgoat08

FNG
I got an email from BO that said these are back in stock now...definitely interested after seeing all these good reviews.