Blackhorn209 in stock @ Midway

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
BH 209 is hands down the best black powder substitute on the market. If it was not the price would like pyrodex or 777.

One 8oz can will last about 2.5 or three years. What is so expensive about 34 bucks or so a year?

My rifle has maintained its zero going on 15 years or more. I shoot a couple test shots each season and then hunt and kill 4 or 5 deer a year.

I do shoot some pyrodex in a MK85.

Dualsight

FNG
Yep. They keep selling it, and people pay the price. But I just don't see why that powder specifically has had such epic price increases when the other BP lines have not. Across the board price increases i understand, but singular product increases seem to point to price gouging to me.

Any thoughts on why BP209 alone had such epic increases?

October 1, 2020

Hodgdon Powder Company Acquires Blackhorn209 | Muzzleloading News

This is about the time I remember the price starting to really escalate.

I been shooting 3 50grn white hot pellets for the last 3 years and i have had 0 issues. I do have a jug of 209, is it even worth switching?

What's the differences between measuring with weight / volume?

OP
Shō[t]gun
It’s worth at least shooting it since you’ve got some. Not sure about the velocity claims but it’s definitely the easiest to clean and push down following bullets compared to the other pellets and loose powders I’ve tried.
Weight should get you more consistent velocity spread. Volume can be inconsistent, especially between tubes with printed levels. But at muzzleloader velocities with super low BC’s it’s not really that noticeable until you’re trying to stretch out pretty far with a really accurate gun. Worth it to some, not worth thinking about for most.

I been shooting 3 50grn white hot pellets for the last 3 years and i have had 0 issues. I do have a jug of 209, is it even worth switching?

What's the differences between measuring with weight / volume?
Bh209 is far superior to any other sub.

As long as you have a consistent volume measuring technique you won’t see much benefit to weighing charges. (Lots of guys don’t have a consistent technique though.) If you do volume measure, get yourself one of the adjustable brass funnel- top measures. The tubes aren’t accurate or designed for measuring powder - good for storing it in though.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Considering the across the board price increases of all hunting gear the increase in BK209 is not that surprising.

A can lasts me a bit over 2.5 years. That is not expensive in my opinion. Plus I shoot two different muzzeloaders.

Take primers for example, they have come down some, about 90 a brick. They used to be half that. Face it our sport is becoming more and more expensive. It's not going to change.

The best plan in my opinion is to stock up now. Prices are not going to return to pre covid prices. BK209 is a high quality premium powder that takes much of the hassle out of shooting muzzeloaders.

I for one will continue to buy it while still complaining about gas prices which does no good either.

One last word: 777 would be an absolute last resort for me as it is dirty and not as accurate as BK209. JMHO!

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot loose 777 since it came out. It has NEVER let me down and cleans up easily with hot water and Dawn. I bought 5, 10oz cans of BH209 and it wasn’t for me. I had some hang fires (using the correct breechplug and 209s) and I didn’t like how it cleaned up. It didn’t clean up like my smokeless ML.

With that said, BH209 is an easy pass for me. I’m either using my smokeless or will be using 777 with the CVA.

Yep. They keep selling it, and people pay the price. But I just don't see why that powder specifically has had such epic price increases when the other BP lines have not. Across the board price increases i understand, but singular product increases seem to point to price gouging to me.

Any thoughts on why BP209 alone had such epic increases?

Price gouging would be if BH209 were the only BP sub available and the state game agencies started giving muzzy tags for free, they'd raise their prices from $80 per bottle to $200 per bottle

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Love this forum but in the end it's up to the end user to decide what components to buy and use. There are enough powders of varying quality for all users and their wallets.

I just cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars yearly on gear, leases ex to then skimp on powder or bullets. But each to his own.