Black kettle info

Heading to Oklahoma at the end of the year for rifle whitetail. Was doing g some research on Black Kettle not much out there but it's close to home so figured to give it a chance. I read alot about there and heard it's like a pumpkin patch of hunters. Was wandering if there are places to hike in and get away from people. I live in Arizona so used to hunting coues deer in the mountains of Southern Arizona. So was hoping for some advice about this place or more public land to hunt. I know how some people are about out of state hunters coming into there areas but I have tons of respect for wildlife and other hunters. So any kind of advise would be greatly appreciated thank you very much

Honyock

WKR
I can't comment on Black Kettle, but I can tell you we have a limited amount of public land (non-draw) that is worth hunting and if it holds a good deer population, the Orange Army will be there. Most of the good public land is draw hunting through the controlled hunts process. I've lived in Oklahoma all my life and unless you can draw a good tag, leasing or paying is about the only option now. The days of knocking on doors is pretty much over.

jlmatthew

FNG
Are the non-draw public area's lacking in deer numbers, quality? or both

Been toying with the idea of Oklahoma too

Honyock

WKR
Are the non-draw public area's lacking in deer numbers, quality? or both

Been toying with the idea of Oklahoma too

If you are bow hunting (no restrictions on crossbows) there are some opportunities on the public land, if you go before the Orange Army shows up. We have a lot of deer and I'm sure that some of the public land has some good bucks, however the better units are pretty much all draw (muzzleload and rifle). We have a liberal bag limit (six with no more than two bucks) and about 50% of the bucks killed are 2.5 years and under. Don't understand why they don't shoot does and let JR grow up, but it is what it is. If I was going to hunt public land, I would bow hunt and look at the northwest or northeast part of the state (Salt Plains, Osage Western Wall). There's also quite a bit of public land in the southeast part of the state. The wildlife website is "wildlifedepartment.com" and it will show the public land. As stated above, most of the private land is leased. My lease is in southwest Oklahoma and almost all of the land in the southwest is privately owned. PM me if you have any questions.

OP
Coueshunter520
Well it's getting closer to November. Been doing a bunch of research on the public land found some really good areas on onX in sandy sanders. Gonna give that a try before black kettle. Bought a new rifle to take to Oklahoma man it's a beast. WEATHERBY MARK V 6.5-300. Got a load ready for some big white tail. Sandy sanders looks to have more glassi areas which I'm very familiar to glassing a spot for all day.

Jlingle

FNG
Sandy is open to archery and muzzleloader only. We’ve killed some nice deer out there, but it isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s very difficult hunting.

OP
Coueshunter520
6.5-300

Attachments

• 20230519_171522.jpg
    20230519_171522.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230617_074530.jpg
    20230617_074530.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230617_094628.jpg
    20230617_094628.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 11
If you go, wear snake gaiters. Had a up close experience with Mr Diamondback last muzzleloader season. Snakes are thick out there.

LostArra

WKR
If you are bow hunting (no restrictions on crossbows) there are some opportunities on the public land, if you go before the Orange Army shows up. We have a lot of deer and I'm sure that some of the public land has some good bucks, however the better units are pretty much all draw (muzzleload and rifle). We have a liberal bag limit (six with no more than two bucks) and about 50% of the bucks killed are 2.5 years and under. Don't understand why they don't shoot does and let JR grow up, but it is what it is. If I was going to hunt public land, I would bow hunt and look at the northwest or northeast part of the state (Salt Plains, Osage Western Wall). There's also quite a bit of public land in the southeast part of the state. The wildlife website is "wildlifedepartment.com" and it will show the public land. As stated above, most of the private land is leased. My lease is in southwest Oklahoma and almost all of the land in the southwest is privately owned. PM me if you have any questions.
Oklahoma "manages" deer for opportunity not age structure or "quality". Look no further than rifle season during the rut.
I've quit worrying about it. I've never been a rifle hunter but the opportunity management allows me to bow hunt for 3 1/2 months.

Jlingle

FNG
If you’re dead set on hunting black kettle, shoot me a pm and I’ll point you toward a couple spots I’ve seen good ones.

Also. You're looking at a map right?

Black Kettle is a lot of small parcels. There's no hiking far in.