Black Hills Archery

I’m looking for a lil local knowledge or opinions related to the hill city area ofSouth Dakota my upcoming hunt. Any deer archery 10/16 is my ETA
I’m a Californians but not a commiefornian happy to share and exchange notes on other hunts, areas etc. thanks!

Beagle001

FNG
Set modest standards, be mobile, and enjoy a wonderful part of the world. Really beautiful area. If you have time midday or tag out early, there are lots of neat POI to check out- the caves are a personal favorite, and Custer Stare Park is always fun

KurtR

WKR
Lots of whitetail. Have seen a few mule deer in all my years in that area around the hills. Lots of tourist attractions around there hunting wise I would go a ways north south or east

remnnate

FNG
Lots of whitetail. Have seen a few mule deer in all my years in that area around the hills. Lots of tourist attractions around there hunting wise I would go a ways north south or east
I agree with this. Get more toward the outer edges of the unit. Foothills type stuff. You'll see more deer than you will have opportunities to take one. Don't get discouraged, it will be a matter of the right spot at the right time.

OP
C
I agree with this. Get more toward the outer edges of the unit. Foothills type stuff. You'll see more deer than you will have opportunities to take one. Don't get discouraged, it will be a matter of the right spot at the right time.
Thank you!

cjdewese

WKR
Went through that area for vacation a few years ago with the family. Beautiful area with a lot of deer from what I can tell. If you get some time to drive through custer state park, do it.

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes. Also if you are a fisherman bring along a fly rod or a small spinning rod. Tons of water to fish around that area.

Last edited:

Beagle001

FNG
This is a very good point. You should see plenty of deer. Having good, close opportunities is tougher than you’d imagine, but once you find the deer, you’ll find them in good numbers- at least the whitetails. Muleys are much less dense