Bivy vs tent.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for opinions on whether I should get a Canvas Cutter Summit Bivy or a stone glacier 1P. Cost isn’t an influence on this decision. Looking at something to backpack in with. Already have a bag and pad.

I'd go SG between those two if there's a chance you need to spend a day in the shelter due to weather.

Haven't tried the SG but have tried a couple 1P trekking pole shelters. Argali and Durston X-Mid. I sold the Argali. Would definitely recommend the Durston.

JohnB

WKR
I'd go SG between those two if there's a chance you need to spend a day in the shelter due to weather.

Haven't tried the SG but have tried a couple 1P trekking pole shelters. Argali and Durston X-Mid. I sold the Argali. Would definitely recommend the Durston.
What did you not like about the Argali compared to the Durston?

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I will always pick a tent before a bivy. But I wouldn't get either of those two for the weight alone, there are much lighter options including more room.

Ive got a lot of good use out of my 2 person (better for one person) Six Moon Designs Haven tent system. About 2.5lbs.

Im ging to be testing out the Borah Bivy this archery season. May want to look at that

Poser

WKR
I'm sure the canvas cutter has its place and I personally use bivy sacks quite a bit, but, as a stand alone shelter, you get in and/or out of that setup one time in the rain and you'll be looking for a new shelter. Bivy sacks are great for when there's no room for a tent, say, sleeping in a mule deer bed on a 30 degree slope, or for when there's little chance of weather and you want to be fast as possible getting to sleep and getting going. If there is going to be weather, you want a tarp overhead or everything inside the bivy gets wet as you get in and out and, getting dressed and undressed inside of it, while doable, absolutely sucks. That shelter is an option for someone with multiple shelters. Buying one as your only shelter without an overhead tarp (which defeats the purpose) is a big mistake.

What did you not like about the Argali compared to the Durston?
The Durston was easier to pitch properly for me, I like the dual vestibules, and I preferred the poles being outside the inner. The only thing I don't love about the Durston is the geometry of the fly/inner can make it tricky to align to a small sleep spot. But that comes with experience.

Bearsears

WKR
This year Im going with a Durston Xmid1 fly, Katabatic Gear Pinion bivy, and a 5x9 tarp. Ultimate verastility and still pretty light. Sleep in the bivy only during nice nights. Setup the xmid in poor weather and use the tarp for in between/rain and sun protection during the day.

EdP

WKR
If I was going to use a bivy it would only be with a tarp over it to have the covered space for cooking, packing up, changing up, etc. When I looked at the weight of bivy plus tarp it was a wash between that and a 1P tent. For the same weight I would rather have the tent.

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
Stone glacier Sky Air. Like a bive, but you can breath, vestibule, and just all around better. Lightweight and takes up little space. Inner on bottom, tent and vestibule on top. Also super easy to setup with sticks if you want to leave it up and take your tracking poles

Attachments

• 17234784574745504680237431623528.jpg
    17234784574745504680237431623528.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 24

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I did the bivy thing for awhile. I guess it depends on the weather you are hunting in. I live and hunt in the PNW where it tends to rain a bit. I found that a long night in a bivy in the rain in Oct is not awesome. By the time you take a tarp in to add some additional weather protection for gear and stuff you may as well just have a tent.

vladkgb

FNG
Gossamer The One, uses your trekking poles to setup, gives you enough room to sit up inside, has a vestibule. Super light and small.

(not my pic)
1723487626243.png

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry a shaped tarp and feel comfortable with it and a bivy through October and into November here in N ID. If the plan is to stay out for multiple nights at a base camp then a tent often gets loaded in my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beauty of a bivy is near limitless campsites and the speed of setup. Adding a tarp greatly increases comfort during foul weather. This is not optional; always bring a tarp.

That said, a DCF shelter likely wins in the weight department. But modern tents are so good it takes some of the sport out of backcountry hunting. Bivying in a blizzard or thunderstorm provides just the right amount of terror to make it exciting.