Bird Dog Expense

WRO

WKR
Breeders for the most part are not dedicated hunters, they are "breeders". If you have 5-10 dogs there is no way you are getting that many dogs out in a given year to know what you have. Unless you hunt every day, which they don't. They are in it to sell dogs, and thats it.

That's a really big assumption that well far fetched at best.

Most of the sporting dog breeders (pointers, don't know shit about swamp collies and labs) run the piss out of their dogs all year long. Breeders need titles to sell dogs, the only way to get titles is to run them.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
A few pics of some backyard bred dogs..... :)

Attachments

• Mike Montana.jpeg
    Mike Montana.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 23
  • Mike Oregon.jpeg
    Mike Oregon.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Woody Region 9 AA.jpeg
    Woody Region 9 AA.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 23
  • Woody Region 9 SD.jpeg
    Woody Region 9 SD.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 23

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Blu, I actually bred this dog in my backyard. So she is 100 percent a backyard bred dog, and there are a million people lined up for a pup if we ever breed her.

KurtR

WKR
A few pics of some backyard bred dogs..... :)
Your really reaching as most back yard bred dogs are by two dolts that have "good" dogs so they think and breed them. I am assuming alot as it looks like you have done all the stuff that comes from responsible breeding be it genetic testing and what ever else your doing in the pointing world. But to say breeders such as Candlewoods who has a 3x Nfc and countless FC/Afc in the retriever world dont do it as good or know what they have for dogs as a back yard breeder does is just crazy.

Reactions: WRO

WRO

WKR
Your really reaching as most back yard bred dogs are by two dolts that have "good" dogs so they think and breed them. I am assuming alot as it looks like you have done all the stuff that comes from responsible breeding be it genetic testing and what ever else your doing in the pointing world. But to say breeders such as Candlewoods who has a 3x Nfc and countless FC/Afc in the retriever world dont do it as good or know what they have for dogs as a back yard breeder does is just crazy.

Everyone has a 10" dick and the worlds greatest dogs on the internet..

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider

I have no idea what goes on in the retriever world, or who anyone is. In the pointing dog world, which is what this guy was asking about I have a ton of knowledge and experience. I have seen thousands of dogs at trials and in real world applications. The large majority of good dogs, and winning dogs dont come from "breeders". They come from dedicated individuals like myself, as most breeders are breeding dogs, not working dogs. Not all breeders, but the majority.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone has a 10" dick and the worlds greatest dogs on the internet..
Thats the cool thing about trials, you cant fake showing up. I didn't fake showing up. The dog that I took RU to almost won the Nationals the month before the trial I attended. I have seen and competed against some of the best pointers in the country. I am not near as active now as I was then, but I still know a good dog when I see it.

I also have watched countless people be in the same position you are right now in determining what they should do as far as a dog is concerned. I gave you great advice that will go a long ways, find a dedicated hardcore wild bird hunter and buy a dog from him. That way you know your getting a dog out of parents who are proven, dedicated wild bird hunters. I know tons of people if you would like recommendations.

WRO

WKR
Thats the cool thing about trials, you cant fake showing up. I didn't fake showing up. The dog that I took RU to almost won the Nationals the month before the trial I attended. I have seen and competed against some of the best pointers in the country. I am not near as active now as I was then, but I still know a good dog when I see it.

I'm confused, you said above titles weren't important..

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
I'm confused, you said above titles weren't important..
Some are and some aren’t. Based on your responses I am assuming your knowledgeable about titles and what goes into them. So let’s get started:

Are you referring to tests or trials? In the test are you referring to the German system or Navhda? Are we talking NA or VC type tests?

If trials are we talking AKC, American Field or NSTRA?

Horseback or walking?

Wild bird or planted bird?

Grouse trials or western trials?

Gun dog, shooting dog or all age? Open or Amatuer?

Which ones specifically are you interested in and how they would apply to a hunting dog. Let’s start there and I can give you a better idea how each trial/test format would be relevant in your dog search.

KurtR

WKR
I have no idea what goes on in the retriever world, or who anyone is. In the pointing dog world, which is what this guy was asking about I have a ton of knowledge and experience. I have seen thousands of dogs at trials and in real world applications. The large majority of good dogs, and winning dogs dont come from "breeders". They come from dedicated individuals like myself, as most breeders are breeding dogs, not working dogs. Not all breeders, but the majority.
Do you do genetic testing and all the due diligence to breed healthy dogs? I dont know what problems pointers have but eic and hips are big in labs so you breed two carriers and you have affected dogs . Thats what most backyard breeders look past then some one has a dog that is sick or crippled (hips) its whole life. I think the semantics is where the divide here is. Back yard breeders by my definition is some one who is just pairing two dogs to make a buck. Breeders are people in it to better the breed and make dogs that can perform at any level. From my take i would consider you a breeder. I dont think numbers are a hard line as some bigger kennels put out winning dogs in the fc and hunt test world as results prove it as do the smaller kennels.

WRO

WKR
Some are and some aren’t. Based on your responses I am assuming your knowledgeable about titles and what goes into them. So let’s get started:

Are you referring to tests or trials? In the test are you referring to the German system or Navhda? Are we talking NA or VC type tests?

If trials are we talking AKC, American Field or NSTRA?

Horseback or walking?

Wild bird or planted bird?

Grouse trials or western trials?

Gun dog, shooting dog or all age? Open or Amatuer?

Which ones specifically are you interested in and how they would apply to a hunting dog. Let’s start there and I can give you a better idea how each trial/test format would be relevant in your dog search.

Ahh now we're into multiple questions.

0 shits given on NA, Navda, or AKC titles. None of those deal with drive and range.

Nastra is interesting, AFC and AKC, preference to horseback as you can reel a dog in, not push one out.

Don't care on wild vs planted as the vast majority are planted. A dog with a bad nose can't find either well.

Puppy derby points don't matter as consequentially as there are lots of titled puppy's that don't make the big show.

Open preferably as it takes a truly great dog to win open vs AM, and AM can win the open if it's good enough.

I'm not looking for a dog, I have one to finish breaking, one in the fly away stage. Next one will be an EP from a trainer I know.

I don't do GSP's but seeing as how your in Idaho, most of the notable Setter breeders locally in the valley also run trials and titles. I'm sure there's show breeders that don't.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Do you do genetic testing and all the due diligence to breed healthy dogs? I dont know what problems pointers have but eic and hips are big in labs so you breed two carriers and you have affected dogs . Thats what most backyard breeders look past then some one has a dog that is sick or crippled (hips) its whole life. I think the semantics is where the divide here is. Back yard breeders by my definition is some one who is just pairing two dogs to make a buck. Breeders are people in it to better the breed and make dogs that can perform at any level. From my take i would consider you a breeder. I dont think numbers are a hard line as some bigger kennels put out winning dogs in the fc and hunt test world as results prove it as do the smaller kennels.
I dont health test any of my dogs. I have tested for a specific gene in a shorthair litter I did as the male was a carrier of a specific disease. In the pointer world I dont really know of any major players that health test on pointers, the specific lines that are popular have been around for decades. If there were dogs breaking down we would know about it. Health testing is more popular in the niche breeds, I also feel its a sales strategy for certain people. If the dog cant compete from a performance standpoint, they pivot to health testing and charge $2500 for a puppy.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Ahh now we're into multiple questions.

0 shits given on NA, Navda, or AKC titles. None of those deal with drive and range.

Nastra is interesting, AFC and AKC, preference to horseback as you can reel a dog in, not push one out.

Don't care on wild vs planted as the vast majority are planted. A dog with a bad nose can't find either well.

Puppy derby points don't matter as consequentially as there are lots of titled puppy's that don't make the big show.

Open preferably as it takes a truly great dog to win open vs AM, and AM can win the open if it's good enough.

I'm not looking for a dog, I have one to finish breaking, one in the fly away stage. Next one will be an EP from a trainer I know.

I don't do GSP's but seeing as how your in Idaho, most of the notable Setter breeders locally in the valley also run trials and titles. I'm sure there's show breeders that don't.
I have trialed all over the west. Both wild and pen raised, and have had success in most venues. Wild bird trials are the epitome of field trialing. In pen raised trials you have dogs running horse paths and finding 10 finds in 30 minutes. In the hour wild bird CH in Montana and Idaho a dog may have 2-3 distinct finds on wild birds. Lots of STF as the difficulty in pointing wild birds versus pen raised birds is quite dramatic. Pen raised trials are boring as most birds are just tossed from the back of horse, very few people really put forth the effort to plant correctly.

I know most of the notable field trialer's that compete in American Field, including the Idaho ones. The Robertson's are pretty well known in the setter world. I judged quite of few setter derby's at the Idaho Open this last fall and saw some nice ones. I prefer a pointer over a setter. There is a guy in Utah that runs some really nice setters. Once again almost all of those guys are hardcore amateur handlers/hunters and not breeders.

(American Field) Also most dogs that run open also run amateur stakes. All derbies are usually open, cause a win qualifies a dog to compete in all CH as an adult. Versus if its an amateur stake they can only run in am. stakes. Besides the major circuit and the 50-100 dogs that run in that, most dogs that compete are amateur owned.

I prefer wild bird experience over everything else. I have seen and watched CH dogs that I wouldnt feed. So that is why I highly recommend buying dogs from people you know and trust, and not some "breeder".

I would love to know what trials you have run in! The pointing dog world is pretty small, we may have run into each other before.

WRO

WKR
The Robertson's are pretty well known in the setter world. I judged quite of few setter derby's at the Idaho Open this last fall and saw some nice ones. I prefer a pointer over a setter. There is a guy in Utah that runs some really nice setters. Once again almost all of those guys are hardcore amateur handlers/hunters and not breeders.

What's your definition of a breeder?

Robertson's throw 5 or 6 litters a year, Talmadge and Todd Marriott throw 5 or 6 litters a year, Phil at circle B has a few litters a year.

I'm sure we'll run into each other at a couple.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
What's your definition of a breeder?

Robertson's throw 5 or 6 litters a year, Talmadge and Todd Marriott throw 5 or 6 litters a year, Phil at circle B has a few litters a year.

I'm sure we'll run into each other at a couple.
Talked to Talmage this morning. I don’t know the other guys beside what they post on social media. But I have trained with and competed against Talmage. I wouldn’t consider him a breeder, he is a very knowledgeable dog man. And get his dogs out like crazy and has had success at the highest level. But Talmage is the kind of guy you buy dogs from, he works the shit out of his dogs. When I think of a breeder, it’s a fancy website of a guy with a dozen dogs trying to sale as many puppies as he can.

I didn’t know Robertson’s we’re still breeding setters! He would be one of the few reputable breeders IMO. Most just breed pedigrees and don’t do anything with their dogs. Throw a health test on a dog and charge $2500.

KurtR

WKR
I dont health test any of my dogs. I have tested for a specific gene in a shorthair litter I did as the male was a carrier of a specific disease. In the pointer world I dont really know of any major players that health test on pointers, the specific lines that are popular have been around for decades. If there were dogs breaking down we would know about it. Health testing is more popular in the niche breeds, I also feel its a sales strategy for certain people. If the dog cant compete from a performance standpoint, they pivot to health testing and charge $2500 for a puppy.
Interesting thats good that they are that healthy. Labs i would not touch a dog that does not have health certs. to many bad people have tried to make money breeding dogs that never should have been bred.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting thats good that they are that healthy. Labs i would not touch a dog that does not have health certs. to many bad people have tried to make money breeding dogs that never should have been bred.
I agree with you. I know it’s a problem in the lab world. I have never had anyone asking me about health certs and I have never asked. Most of the time I have been around the dogs for years before I buy a puppy.

WRO

WKR
I didn’t know Robertson’s we’re still breeding setters! He would be one of the few reputable breeders IMO. Most just breed pedigrees and don’t do anything with their dogs. Throw a health test on a dog and charge $2500.

Tim had a really great looking litter this year (if I wasn't full I would've bought one) bad ass outcross litter with a sweet pedigree, Anita had couple litters last year, I had one of her pups that unfortunately got hit by a car.

I don't know anyone that's dumb enough to have dozens of setters or GSP's in a puppy mill locally.

The best wirehairs I've seen all have came from "breeders" I have a smoke creek dog, have hunted with a couple Cascade dogs, (had a litter with cascade Abe and my dog) and a couple bone point dogs.

Most of the "breeders" I see from your definition sell off breed dogs like Weims, Griffs, and Vislas.

I did by my Gordon from a guy with a fancy website, but I've also seen his dogs run a lot on the field and he's a pretty good friend.

bdg848

WKR
Think of it as just $100 a year over the life of the dog for a great hunting partner and friend.