Bipod vs tripod vs shooting sticks

roperking

FNG
I have a couple of Two Vets NO NAME tripods. These are not the lightest option in the back country and are way over kill for just glassing. I use the Two Vets NO NAME JR for glassing and the bigger one when I'm hunting . The stability the big one provides for the shooting portion is worth the weight penalty for me. I may be able to get away with something lighter but most of my rifles hover around the 12lb mark.
They definitely are not the lightest option, but I have used a two vets at PRS matches for a while and they are solid. Hard to beat for the money. I usually carry my RRS when I go hunting just because it is a bit lighter for the same stability.

ofl0926

WKR
I’ll probably invest in one and to start training with it. Are there any good videos to learn from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foldable Underwood shooting sticks. 20+ years, taken shots out to 375 yards with no issues on pronghorn to elk. However, based on experience and evaluation if I was going further I would go for something more stable.

slowelk

WKR
They definitely are not the lightest option, but I have used a two vets at PRS matches for a while and they are solid. Hard to beat for the money. I usually carry my RRS when I go hunting just because it is a bit lighter for the same stability.

What do you think it is about the design of the RRS that contributes to its greater stability? To my untrained eye, the two vets and the rrs don’t look meaningfully different.

What do you think it is about the design of the RRS that contributes to its greater stability? To my untrained eye, the two vets and the rrs don’t look meaningfully different.
I honestly don't know if they are or not. I've not had the opportunity to shoot off one but if I had to guess I bet RRS carbon tubes are stiffer than Two vets. My Two Vets purchases are driven from an availability stand point. If I can get similar support from a lighter package I don't have a problem paying the money.

jjjones7

FNG
I’m a big fan of quad sticks for hunting. I’ve been in to many situations because of terrain or vegetation that I cannot get prone. The ones I’m familiar with are the Rudolph optics or stable sticks. Takes a little practice to get the hang of but they’re awesome. I’m comfortable shooting standing to 600 with my Rudolph’s.

One of the main advantages to the tripod is I already have it there to glass from . When you hunt deep gear that servers more than one purpose is very valuable from a space or weight stand point. I can use my trekking poles if all i need to shoot off is a pair of sticks. Gear that only serves one purpose is hard for me to justify unless absolutely necessary.

roperking

FNG
I didn’t say one was more stable than the other. The stability is not noticeably different from one to another. The difference is in the weight. The twovets will be slightly heavier. Both are great tripods.

slowelk

WKR
I didn’t say one was more stable than the other. The stability is not noticeably different from one to another. The difference is in the weight. The twovets will be slightly heavier. Both are great tripods.

So it’s just lighter/higher quality carbon.

Lawnboi

WKR
You also have a couple options with RRS, lever lives on my range/short bipod, thumb screw on my long field bipod. The thumb screw is quite a bit more compact and also lighter. D9912F08-8874-439A-A9B4-16F806D3025A.jpeg

Does anybody make an arca bipod adapter?
I just put the new RRS USR R-Lock rails on my rifles and got the SC-ARC bipod adapter they make for my Atlas CAL. It's definitely got a cool factor to it, I'll give it that. My main motivation is I want to be able to use a bipod even with a full length rail. Though the bipod is likely not going to be on the rifle unless the situation arises. I think attaching to the tripod would be a better option for most terrains I plan to hunt.

mouri010

FNG
What would be the easiest way to attach an optic plate to a rifle to mount to a tripod? I have a vortex tripod and believe they take arca Swiss plates.