Bipod vs shooting stick

While rifle or muzzleloader hunting elk what do you guys prefer to use for a rest, bipod mounted to your weapon or shooting sticks and does it depend the weight
A bipod is more stable overall. I use a Spartan for hunting which isn’t attached full time. Only when I’m setting up to shoot.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I use my trekking poles for a lot of my kneeling or sitting shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you like the Spartan,I've been looking at them but haven't pulled the trigger yet in getting one
I do like it. It’s lightweight so I always pack it. If it was heavy I know I wouldn’t pack it on some hunts. It’s not going to be as stable as some others. So the trade off is less weight less stability.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Do you like the Spartan,I've been looking at them but haven't pulled the trigger yet in getting one
Not the quoted post but I’m a fan of the setup. For elk specifically, I’d stick with just a bipod unless I was already packing my tripod. I have a Spartan bipod and Spartan pro head for my tripod. The pro head isn’t the greatest for glassing, but I like having the ability to shoot and glass off a tripod and/or switch to a bipod all without changing any adapters.

AE72D8F3-301A-45FD-93EA-18ADCA7D75E8.jpeg
2C8D4A1B-9472-4215-93DB-342C179E7253.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Not the quoted post but I’m a fan of the setup. For elk specifically, I’d stick with just a bipod unless I was already packing my tripod. I have a Spartan bipod and Spartan pro head for my tripod. The pro head isn’t the greatest for glassing, but I like having the ability to shoot and glass off a tripod and/or switch to a bipod all without changing any adapters.View attachment 535515
View attachment 535516
Nice setup...what caliber is your rifle

Hnthrdr

WKR
Trigger stick tripod, use it as one of my trekking poles, great for glassing with binos and good for kneeling and standing shots, if I can go prone I’m shooting off my pack so I don’t mess with bipods. I do like the look of the detachable lightweight ones

So far I've always used a bi pod. Always a struggle though, hate having the weight of a bipod but often end up needing to set up quickly. fumbling around with shooting sticks or trekking poles to get set up isn't my favorite.

Still looking for the best set up that allows me to shoot sitting and doesn't take a long time to set up. so far a harris 13-27 is by far the quickest, easiest and most stable. But its also heavy and a pain to having hanging off the front of the gun.

Ralphie

WKR
I carry the Spartan bipod. And if weight is a concern a set of break down shooting sticks. The fold up like little tent poles.

when weight isn’t that big of deal I carry the bipod and the short trigger sticks tripod with davros on top.

f16jack

WKR
Shooting sticks.
Rifle remains lightweight and unencumbered. When sitting on a meadow the sticks are great. Good height adjustment. Also, I don't understand comments of sticks being unstable. I'm rock solid off mine. Of course, I still wrap the sling around my arm and push out my elbow for rifle stabilization on every shot, whether off my backpack, sticks, supported by a branch, or offhand. That's why the sling is there.
I've seen some guys haul odd large shooting support devices into the field. I recommend learning how to be stable shooting from prone, kneeling, sitting and offhabd, with or without supports. Time to bring out the .22.

Marble

WKR
I have used my walking sticks for shooting off of, but it is not normal for me to do that.

My preference is to use my pack. This year, I had a hard time shooting off my pack on a really steep side-hill and had to take my binos off, set them on my pack and I made it work.

But when in CO, I carry my Harris bi-pod in my pack. I don't like packing my gun with it on. It only takes a minute or so to put it on if needed. Which I have done a few times. If I'm sitting for an extended time, I'll put it on.

I'm not a fan of the shooting sticks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk