Bipod help

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
HI, I thought I'd ask here first,

I want to get a new bipod, I have a Harris that attaches to the swivel stud but I want something a bit more substantial, I was thinking of either an atlas (without rotating legs) or a Rugged Ridge set up, I want the bipod to attach by rail, and I'd like to get a standard rail for 3-4 of my rifles so I can use the bipod between all of them.

so, What are your recommendations for the bipod? Atlas vs. Rugged Ridge vs...??? How about the rail? I'm really confused here, what rail should I get (remember I want like 4 rails so I can put them on different rifles), Id like to still have my swivel stud for my sling while hiking.

thanks!!!

Broz

WKR
I highly recommend the Modular evolution bipod. It is the very best hunting bipod I have used and is very stable, especially with the spikes on.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I like a bipod to cover all heights from low prone to a high kneeling position. I've used a lot of them and the Hatch Outwest bipod is by far my favorite so far. Does everything you want and attaches via pic rail.

KurtR

WKR
If weight isn’t a concern atlas is the best I have used. Depending what kind of stocks you have would determine mounting options with the rail.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If weight isn’t a concern atlas is the best I have used. Depending what kind of stocks you have would determine mounting options with the rail.

Weight is sort of a concern because I will be taking this sheep hunting.

as for stocks, they are all basic hinting rifles, I’d like to get a rail on my kimber Montana, tikka t3x and my Winchester m70 extreme conditions and possibly even one on my Remington 700 xcr2.

carter33

WKR
If weight is the priority I would consider the spartan javelin. It is extremely light ~5oz I believe and provides a relatively stable platform. I say “relative” because it does have a little wobble to it. I also have an atlas and it is has zero wobble and is about as solid as it gets. If you are thinking of shooting long the weight may be worth it.

I do plan on trying the modular evolution bipod as well for the ability to attach it to a tripod using there tripod mount system as well as the ability to easily pop spikes on.

As far as rails go I don’t think you can really go wrong. I have one from Atlas but also looked at seekins rails. If installed correctly I can’t imagine any of them failing.

I'm running the atlas CAL gen2. With hawk hill talon spike feet. Really really like it. Ive been around pretty much every atlas. Very similar to modular evolution. I like that one as well. A very very close 2nd for me. Ive only used my buddies for a short time. Maybe it would be #1 if i had more time behind it? The one upside to the modular is the big leg extensions. Atlas leg extensions only gain you a couple in. For me its not a huge deal. It might be for you? If I cant lay prone I will use something else like tripod, pack, shooting stick, trekking poles etc.

I too have been looking into high end bipods. I have narrowed it down to the atlas bt10 and the rugged ridge set up. I like the rugged ridge but with the leg extensions [for sitting] and their rear reast I am looking at about $800.00 canadian. I can get a bare atlas bt10 for $300.00. Havent decided yet!

Most of my free time has been dedicated to long range shooting/hunting for the past 9-10 years. I’ve used every high end bipod made (except the Hatch). I’ve seen/used some of them when they were still in prototype stages. Out of them all, I currently own 2 different brands. Harris and Atlas. 95% of the time I’m using a Harris. I’m not sure what the OP means by wanting something more substantial, but I’ve never been in a situation that a Harris (any various model) would not get the job done. Most all of my rifles have pic rail attachments or ARCA rails. On the pic rails, I use the ADM levers for both the Harris and Atlas.

I too have been looking into high end bipods. I have narrowed it down to the atlas bt10 and the rugged ridge set up. I like the rugged ridge but with the leg extensions [for sitting] and their rear reast I am looking at about $800.00 canadian. I can get a bare atlas bt10 for $300.00. Havent decided yet!

What makes you want the bt10? Personally I would go CAL or PSR. I like the CAL but I don't feel the need or want for pan. If you like that feature then go PSR. The bt10 is the v8 if I remember right. It has rotating legs which can be a pain for preparing on certain surfaces.

What makes you want the bt10? Personally I would go CAL or PSR. I like the CAL but I don't feel the need or want for pan. If you like that feature then go PSR. The bt10 is the v8 if I remember right. It has rotating legs which can be a pain for preparing on certain surfaces.

Basically i like the atlas due to availability. I must have the pan feature. Canada has limited bipods available. I have read the legs can be a pain

Basically i like the atlas due to availability. I must have the pan feature. Canada has limited bipods available. I have read the legs can be a pain

If you must have the pan feature I would personally look at the atlas psr if it's available. I'm running the atlas CAL as my main bipod. I wont lie, I absolutely dont miss the pan feature. Ive had zero issues tracking an target and your rifle and bipod are always square for perfect straight back recoil. May or may not be a huge deal but I like to eliminate every possible negative factor.

Is there a reasonably priced bipod worth owning? I don’t have problem spending the money, just don’t think I’ll use it much.

Goose2345

FNG
I’m new to the forum long time lurker, while I’ve only in the last few years been bitten by the mule deer bug I’ve been A long range enthusiast for a very long time. My opinion on Bipods is strictly from my shooting and what I expect from a bipod. I’ve tried everyone mentioned so far in this thread and what I’ve found is not one does it all. For me I’ve settled on the atlas prs and the hatch out west. Both fit my needs the atlas being the best if shooting from a bench or elevated obstacles or probe when tall grass is not present or shooting a 16 pound 338 edge the hatch just gives up a little to the atlas in those situations, but with that said the hatch can do things the atlas or others never will it can go from prone to kneeling without adding extra legs it is the most versatile bipod on the market in my opinion and still maintaining the ability for long range hits in hunting situations. So for me both have there place and both are needed to have 100 percent coverage for all of my shooting needs. And if you do go with a hatch make sure to get the adm quick detach system not the original it will fit all rails tighter!

Ok but which harris model would you suggest? I have the HBRM and after owning it for less than a few months the legs got sloppy and uneven despite multiple head scratching adjustments.
Can you explain what you mean by the legs got sloppy and uneven? Do you have the notched legs or the smooth set screw legs? Either way I don’t understand what you mean by uneven. As far as the quality of Harris (If it’s a not a knock-off) they have always been pretty bomb proof. I have a 6”-9” notched swivel model that I have competed with for over 9 years and it probably has close to 40,000 rounds of center fire rifle usage.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have two favorites.

If I want stability, speed of adjustabilty, and don't care about the weight I use the Modular Evolution with spiked feet. I really like it for hunting style competitions.

If I want stability, and lightweight I use a Javelin bipod.

Since most of my hunting doesn't happen near the truck (wish more of it did...) I hunt with a Javelin most the time. There isn't a shot I would take on an animal with the Modular that I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Javelin.

Neither of those two bipods are what I would consider inexpensive. They are both a substantial investment. So, my choice would be a Harris if I wanted a less expensive option with great stability.