Binos

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
So I think I have decided to go with big binos instead of a spotter. I am wanting to get your guy’s opinion on what binos you think are the best for there price points?
Zeiss conquest 15x56
Maven 18x56
Swarovski SLC 15x56
Or any others that you think are better
Thanks

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Not better glass, but the Sig Zulu are worth a look. Single hand holding 16x binos and the image being dead still was crazy. It's simply amazing tech. Rep at Big sky TAC said they were coming out with 20xs and they may be out already .
I'll probably stick with my ATX, but thought about them multiple times this year when the wind blew and my tripod shook.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
No one will argue the quality of swarovski glass , the argument for Mavens is the 18x vs 15x and the B.5 18X are $1000 less than the swaro slc 15x . the big difference looking thru them is the swaro has better clarity to the edge of the glass vs mavens. not alot different center of focal point with my eyes but notice that on a tripod looking to edge of field of view swaro's are more in focus to edge of view. Far as value that is a personal decision swaro's will hold their value if you ever resell will sill be close to retail not sure of the maven resale depreciation but I personally bought Maven B.5 18X and haven't been dissappointed.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I hear the mavens 18s out do them
I’m sure they hold their own. I definitely don’t think you’re going to see any less animals if you get them. The swaro 15’s are the better glass though. Every time I look through them I’m impressed. The edge to edge is crisp as can be.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Sold my 15 slc and upgraded to the 12 el. Even more clarity and better at low light. No disadvantage to the 12s besides the price. Hunting partner brought his 15 slc on a mule deer hunt this year and we ran them side by side, he sold his 15s after glassing with my 12s. The el are really that much better then the 15s.

Those Sig Zulus eat up all the vibration from a vehicle in a window mount situation and then also on a tripod if it's really windy.

packer58

WKR
Meopta should not be overlooked, mine have virtually eliminated my needs for a spotter. Mid tier cost with upper tier image and quality.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sold my 15 slc and upgraded to the 12 el. Even more clarity and better at low light. No disadvantage to the 12s besides the price. Hunting partner brought his 15 slc on a mule deer hunt this year and we ran them side by side, he sold his 15s after glassing with my 12s. The el are really that much better then the 15s.
Me and a few others preferred higher quality 12x over 15x for glassing for Coues because clarity trumps magnification. Same thing happened to the 15s among some guys I know.

Of course, some buddies still run their 15 and 18 Kaibabs. It really comes down to how much you can spend.

I switched out to 10x LRF and 18 Razor, and that works great as a system as well. I would buy a 12x alpha glass RF and carry that alone if one existed.

OP
L

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
Me and a few others preferred higher quality 12x over 15x for glassing for Coues because clarity trumps magnification. Same thing happened to the 15s among some guys I know.

Of course, some buddies still run their 15 and 18 Kaibabs. It really comes down to how much you can spend.

I switched out to 10x LRF and 18 Razor, and that works great as a system as well. I would buy a 12x alpha glass RF and carry that alone if one existed.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They're all a lot of money, opinions are like you know what. I would tell you to go grab all three and try them out. There are a lot more things to consider when buying a pair of binoculars then just that's better glass. The ergonomics, the focus wheel, the weight, the eye cups, durability, all sorts of things you need to consider. Different size hands will hold different binoculars a different way one will feel comfortable to one person and not another. I for one would rather be holding a pair of Zeiss victory in my hand then the NLs probably because I have larger hands and I can't stand the way the new NLs are cut.

Last edited:

Crusader

WKR
Definitely consider the Meopta 15, they are outstanding. A little of MY experience and opinion:

I'm old, been hunting a long time. Decided to finally step up to alpha glass so in summer of 2020 I bought new Swaro SLC in 10x42, figuring it would be my "lifetime" glass, never to need improvement upon. In 2021 and 2022 I had experiences where in low light I could not to my satisfaction count/evaluate whitetail buck points in late day, low-light conditions (essentially, right at end of shooting hours) when hunting from elevated blinds near large fields. I am old (64) but have good eyesight for my age, about 20/40, and I don't wear glasses but I figured maybe I wanted more magnification. Late last year after hunting season I bought new the Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 15x56. Didn't use them much earlier this year, just had them in my safe. Figured another possibility for me would be Swaro EL 12x50. Shopped for a while and bought used a 2020 pair from a fellow RS member about a month ago. Then I decided to do some low-light testing of all 3 binocs and keep the best performer and sell the other two. I used the Air Force resolution chart at 100 yards one evening and 200 yards a few evenings later, doing minute-by-minute observations until darkness fell. Let me tell you, I was STUNNED at the outcome; the SLCs lost clarity first (not much of a surprise) and then the ELs and Meopta were basically a toss-up. I say I was stunned because I fully expected the ELs to be best and be my "keeper" pair. I've decided that I will use the ELs and Meoptas through this deer season, actual "real world" use, see which I like best, and sell the other. Side note, I decided to probably keep the SLC 10x42, because they're so nice and useful for other things (vacations, sight-seeing, etc).

Sorry for all the boring details but just to reiterate my opinion (which again, is based on MY eyesight), don't overlook the Meopta, they are awesome and given their lower cost than the other alpha stuff, may be a best bang-for-the-buck option. Give them a look, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

OP
L

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely consider the Meopta 15, they are outstanding. A little of MY experience and opinion:

I'm old, been hunting a long time. Decided to finally step up to alpha glass so in summer of 2020 I bought new Swaro SLC in 10x42, figuring it would be my "lifetime" glass, never to need improvement upon. In 2021 and 2022 I had experiences where in low light I could not to my satisfaction count/evaluate whitetail buck points in late day, low-light conditions (essentially, right at end of shooting hours) when hunting from elevated blinds near large fields. I am old (64) but have good eyesight for my age, about 20/40, and I don't wear glasses but I figured maybe I wanted more magnification. Late last year after hunting season I bought new the Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 15x56. Didn't use them much earlier this year, just had them in my safe. Figured another possibility for me would be Swaro EL 12x50. Shopped for a while and bought used a 2020 pair from a fellow RS member about a month ago. Then I decided to do some low-light testing of all 3 binocs and keep the best performer and sell the other two. I used the Air Force resolution chart at 100 yards one evening and 200 yards a few evenings later, doing minute-by-minute observations until darkness fell. Let me tell you, I was STUNNED at the outcome; the SLCs lost clarity first (not much of a surprise) and then the ELs and Meopta were basically a toss-up. I say I was stunned because I fully expected the ELs to be best and be my "keeper" pair. I've decided that I will use the ELs and Meoptas through this deer season, actual "real world" use, see which I like best, and sell the other. Side note, I decided to probably keep the SLC 10x42, because they're so nice and useful for other things (vacations, sight-seeing, etc).

Sorry for all the boring details but just to reiterate my opinion (which again, is based on MY eyesight), don't overlook the Meopta, they are awesome and given their lower cost than the other alpha stuff, may be a best bang-for-the-buck option. Give them a look, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks

OP
L

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
They're all a lot of money, opinions are like you know what. I would tell you to go grab all three and try them out. There are a lot more things to consider when buying a pair of binoculars then just that's better glass. The ergonomics, the focus wheel, the weight, the eye cups, durability, all sorts of things you need to consider. Different size hands will hold different binoculars a different way one will feel comfortable to one person and not another. I for one would rather be holding a pair of Zeiss victory in my hand than the NLs probably because I have larger hands and I can't stand the way the new NLs are cut.
Do you run a spotter?

OP
L

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
does anyone have an issue with running a spotter with a phone scope add on? Is it easy to spot animals using the phone scope