Binos vs Spotting Scope

Garet Jax

FNG
Hello all,

I was hoping this thread answered the question, but not really since the OP already owned some really good Swarovski Binos

I don't own binos or a spotting scope. I am hoping to not have to buy both. I will primarily use it to "spot" out to a maximum of 1100 yards.

I have a separate RF (Vortex Razor HD 4000).

The targets can be quite small so I want to see clearly where I hit as well as where I missed. It will all be during daylight because my range is 2.5 hours away from home.

I am hoping to keep costs around $1000.

In general are binos better for spotting or are spotting scopes better? I am looking at the Athlon G2 Cronus 20-60 x 85 for < $900 from Camera Land

Thanks for your thoughts.

OP
G

Garet Jax

FNG
No ones has any thoughts?

If I go binos, are 10x42 enough to see target hits clearly out to 1000 or do I need to go to 12x50 or even 15x56?

Thanks.

If it is limited to range use, grab a spotting scope, tripod and potentially a PhoneSkope (or equivalent). If you are planning to also use it for hunting, go with binoculars, tripod, and potentially a PhoneSkope (or equivalent).

Check out the Backwoords Pursuit spotting scope "shootout", look at your price point, and go from there. They also have one for binoculars.

Do be aware that clarity typically trumps magnification.

You will eventually buy both. LOL
I don't do long range shooting but I can't imagine a 10x42 being helpful at 1000 yards. You might see the target move (gong) but as far picking out impact sites it really won't help. You said targets are small and that further supports my premise.
If you really want to enjoy the spotter and not yearn for more, which you will (!!!), save more and get an alpha quality spotter. You won't regret it. Furthermore, with alpha, it holds resell way better the mid-to-lower tier scopes. Meaning you can resell for close to what you bought if for especially if get a good deal on the initial plunge.

OP
G

Garet Jax

FNG
If it is limited to range use, grab a spotting scope, tripod and potentially a PhoneSkope (or equivalent). If you are planning to also use it for hunting, go with binoculars, tripod, and potentially a PhoneSkope (or equivalent).

Check out the Backwoords Pursuit spotting scope "shootout", look at your price point, and go from there. They also have one for binoculars.

Do be aware that clarity typically trumps magnification.

Thanks a bunch. I hadn't heard of a PhoneSkope before. Is this just for taking pictures or does the digital aspect offer more flexibility?

I have already read the backwoods pursuit article, but reread it just now.

It sort of reinforced the way I'm leaning "Athlon Cronus HD G2 20-60 x 86"

Thanks a bunch. I hadn't heard of a PhoneSkope before. Is this just for taking pictures or does the digital aspect offer more flexibility?

I have already read the backwoods pursuit article, but reread it just now.

It sort of reinforced the way I'm leaning "Athlon Cronus HD G2 20-60 x 86"
Can do photos and videos as well as get some additional magnification (but may take a hit on clarity). It can be extra handy when shooting or hunting solo and you need to see your actual impacts or if something was questionable.

Can also be a great teaching/learning tool especially when combined with a knowledgeable instructor/shooter and other video (on the shooter to capture the good/bad/ugly) of their form and adherence to shooting process.

OP
G

Garet Jax

FNG
Surprised there aren't more comments. Scopes are much much better for long range spotting, but you can use binos. Either way get the best you can afford.

When you say scopes, I assume you're talking spotting scopes, not rifle scopes.

Are you wanting to watch hits on steel, see hits on steel after the fact, or try to see holes in paper. If it’s paper you can forget about it with anything but a target cam. If steel it makes a big difference what kind of impacts you’re trying to spot too. A 300WM launching a 215 hybrid leaves a much bigger splash on target than a 6mm BR shooting a 105 hybrid, they also have a big difference in impact.

Most PRS shooter have gone to high power binos for a multitude of reasons. 15x’s are kind for spotting just about everything but 10’s will work for a lot. I use to use 10x42 EL’s almost exclusively. I could watch trace with them and could easily watch impacts and see where it impacted to 1200 yards when used on a tripod. I could see 6mm impacts after the fact to beyond 600 but not 1000+ because the splash is just too light. I could see them hit and where they hit though. It takes amazing glass to do with with 10’s though and you’re not going to do that with binos in your budget. I had some 15x56 BX5’s and they worked excellent for the $$ but they’re no 15x SLC’s.

I can’t stand spotters because of the eye fatigue. I can look through good binos all day but a spotter no matter how good fatigues the hell out of my eyes so I’ll take binos any day for spotting hits on steel.

So assuming you’re shooting steel and your budget is 1K BX5 15X’s are your best bet.

jimh406

WKR
As others noted, you will need both eventually. However, for shooting, you'll likely need high quality glass for anything other than the clearest brightest days to see holes in paper.

Can you be more specific about what you are trying to do at the range?

Also, you might be better off buying a higher power better quality spotting scope.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use 15x56 Swaro SLC's, and they do everything I need them to do for PRS and spotting impacts out to 1200 yards or so.

With optics, recommend you buy once and cry once.

brianp

FNG
you guys recommend 15's for calling wind/spotting trace over a spotting scope?

you guys recommend 15's for calling wind/spotting trace over a spotting scope?
Really depends on the target, distance, and duration. Also, clarity trumps magnification. My 8X Vortex Viper binoculars provide better clarity than my POS Vortex Nomad spotting scope despite having almost 1/8th the magnification. My 10x SLCs blow away my 8x Vipers. You get the point.

Lots of variables and there is no single best answer for all scenarios.

The type of target and then distance comes into play. Using a "Shoot 'n See" target is one thing and a light tan piece of paper is another. Typically shots on game are closer than other targets. But the further you shoot, the more challenging it is.

How long are you spotting shots? Are you actually calling shots from dawn to dusk with maybe a minute between shots? Or is it calling a handful of shots in an informal setting or just a shot or three on an animal? Most folks cannot stay in a spotting scope from dawn to dusk but can do better when using a pair of binoculars.

At the range I typically bring my spotting scope (STX 65/95). In the field, it is either my binoculars (SLC 10 / 15) or spotting scope (STX 65/95 or Kowa 554) or a combination thereof (if multiple spotters and single shooter).