Bino harness should be under $100. Change my mind.

Structure, size, water resistance, noise. Let’s hear some opinions. They’re not made by pelican, they’re all cut and sew, why are these bino harnesses so pricey?

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to agree here. But as with all things if people are willing to pay, which a lot are, then companies are going to charge it. I definitely raise an eyebrow when they’re hitting two hundred dollars.

OP
W
There are plenty under 100 bucks, check out Amazon. Just not the US made quality stuff.
I agree. Although US made doesn’t always equal better quality or better warranty like we wish it did. The new Marsupial harness for $220(with the side rigs included though, and the black multi is kinda cool) and they of course have a good warranty. But I’d rather spend the extra on a better optic and have a harness to protect it. You can get that out of alps outdoorz new one for $50, lifetime warranty.
Just venting mostly, all the US harnesses have the same look, for the most part, and I love it. But I’m honest with myself, I can’t afford a $200 harness, I’m trying to save up for tag.

TN2shot07

WKR
The beauty and curse of Rokslide classifieds…. You can save some money, if you don’t like the harness stick it back up for sale and try another one. I’ve used a different one each of the last 2-3 seasons and it’s still pretty much on my first investment.

If you’re really on a tight budget then buy what you can afford. If it does what you want then that’s what matters. It doesn’t bother me to pay >$100 for a high quality piece of gear that in reality will last years.

rcb2000

WKR
Rick young for minimalist.
I’ve hunted many years with a $20 vortex harness, never bothered me.

Use what you can until you can afford better.

Rob5589

WKR
I agree. Although US made doesn’t always equal better quality or better warranty like we wish it did. The new Marsupial harness for $220(with the side rigs included though, and the black multi is kinda cool) and they of course have a good warranty. But I’d rather spend the extra on a better optic and have a harness to protect it. You can get that out of alps outdoorz new one for $50, lifetime warranty.
Just venting mostly, all the US harnesses have the same look, for the most part, and I love it. But I’m honest with myself, I can’t afford a $200 harness, I’m trying to save up for tag.
I don't disagree. I have and use the Alps Outdoorz and like it a bunch. Its light, minimalist, and holds well. A Marsupial gear range finder pouch on the side and it's pretty ideal for my liking. I have a Rick Young as well but have fallen out of love with it.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
They are basically binocular holsters, and I haven't seen a good USA made chest rig for a handgun under $100 either. That's just what it costs. $20 an hour is almost destitute now for USA labor. They have to eat too.

Or you can be like me, just don't use them. Straps work fine for most, you just have to take them off if you want to crawl on your hands and knees or belly crawl.

Warmsy

WKR
They are basically binocular holsters, and I haven't seen a good USA made chest rig for a handgun under $100 either. That's just what it costs. $20 an hour is almost destitute now for USA labor. They have to eat too.

Or you can be like me, just don't use them. Straps work fine for most, you just have to take them off if you want to crawl on your hands and knees or belly crawl.
I usually charge $100 or so for a basic hip holster. Should be charging $300 to make some money, but I really like messing with leather so I make sure I break even at the lower price.

You're a savage for not using bino harness!

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Nah, I just don't have binoculars big enough to matter. My 8x42's are light enough it's no concern. I keep the strap as short as possible, no flopping around, and it adds a little support when using them.

Mt Al

WKR

Same here, never had one. Just back/cross strap and lens covers for when it rains.

Reason they're spendy are many: cost of domestic labor, relatively low volume production, lots of "make" (features, small pockets, lots of manufacturing steps) and overhead. Some seem a bit over designed IMHO.

Perfect DIY project!

thatguy

FNG
Dudes making them gotta eat to. I went with Alaska Guide Creations and have no regrets so far. I rather support small business. It fits great. Easy to forget it's there. Plus the extra pockets are good for the range finder and tripod accessorie. As well as scope cam mounts.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
I just use the bino straps and a piece of fleece to keep water out of the eyepiece. Never needed more even in a strong rain. To me, the bags against my chest on a hot day make me overheat.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
$200 is a lot but as mentioned already, it's not surprising with the inflation we have experienced over the last few years.

I will add that $200 isn't as big a deal to someone using $3k binoculars. It's a much bigger deal if your binoculars cost $500.

woods89

WKR
Why should they be under $100?

I run into this occasionally in the contracting world. People say "that's to much, it should be more like ----", yet they have nothing to base their opinion on.

Unless you have a list of materials needed, a quote from a sewing professional, R&D money, storefront or warehouse money, insurance, salary for employees, taxes, salary and profit for the owner, etc.,what someone thinks it "should" cost is irrelevant. Stuff costs what it does, and the individual either buys it or not.

I'm not in the least surprised that they cost what they do.

Not ranting at you, OP, just trying to provide a little perspective. I'd love it if we had a wide selection of $50 bino harnesses.

87TT

WKR
No such thing as a perfect bino harness. Bigfoot told me so.
My current one is made from two different harnesses cut and sewed together with a homemade bungee latch made from a bootlace hook. Two years and haven’t found one I like better at any cost.