Billy Goat --- "Property of the State"

Swamp Fox

WKR
In the OH buck thread that got locked for no good reason --

You wrote:

Wildlife is different than your personal property, you need a tag, it's property of the state that you get to "own" when it's harvested correctly.

But--

Game is NOT the property of the state... It "belongs to all the people."

I keep hearing it's the property of the state in different unsupervised corners of the internet, especially lately, but this is not supported by anything that anyone can point to in this country since the Revolution.

If someone wants to cite something contrary, I would welcome it.

This point influences many of the issues that the thread above was touching on, before the baby got thrown out with the bathwater ...

fwafwow

WKR

You wrote:

Wildlife is different than your personal property, you need a tag, it's property of the state that you get to "own" when it's harvested correctly.

But--

I keep hearing it's the property of the state in different unsupervised corners of the internet, especially lately, but this is not supported by anything that anyone can point to in this country since the Revolution.

This point influences many of the issues that the thread above was touching on, before the baby got thrown out with the bathwater ...
You named him in the thread title?

mt100gr.

WKR
I thought Billy Goat was just a memeholer! This has to be settled by 11:59 pm Mountain Time!!

MattB

WKR

You wrote:

But--

Look up the “Public Trust Doctrine”. Wildlife in the U.S. is not “owned” by the state but rather is held in trust and managed by the state for the benefit of its residents. That may be a distinction without a practical difference.

@Swamp Fox if you want someone's attention, you gotta tag them.

I think you are smart enough to know how the wildlife system in this country works. The people do own most of the wildlife, but it's held in trust by the state to manage. Some exemptions are migratory species, and animals in tribal/reservation areas.

So I'll change my statement to:
Wildlife is different than your personal property, you need a tag, it's held in trust by the state and you get to "own" it when it's harvested correctly.

So, are we going down the road of ballot box biology? I'm curious why you find the need to point out the distinction? I'll admit I misplaced the actual ownership, while knowing, it was easier to type it out as I first did.

I thought Billy Goat was just a memeholer! This has to be settled by 11:59 pm Mountain Time!!

Sorry, I'm turning into a real let down.

Not sure if this will be settled, or if it will go down the memehole.

Since we missed the deadline is it just set to spiral now?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does that get someone's attention? I've been "tagged" before and only found that by chance, seeing it in a thread.
You should get a notification saying that someone mentioned you. By clicking the notification you’re taken right to that comment. It’s possible you have that turned off in your settings

How does that get someone's attention? I've been "tagged" before and only found that by chance, seeing it in a thread.

Believe it or not, I don't actually live on here.

I get these push notifications, alerts me to tags, quotes, messages, etc. Also shows in that little bell alert thing, but I don't check that.

I am on here a lot, but I'm frequently here because of an alert.

OP
Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

WKR
'Preciate the feedback.

It always bugs me when this comes up.