Bighorn euro mount question

JohnB

WKR
My brother found a sweet bighorn skull in Idaho and I'm cleaning it up for him. I've got the skull nearly done degreasing but have not trimmed the horn cores back yet. Currently when I slide the horn sheaths on here is where they are sitting. Should I trim the cores back to try to get the sheaths on another 1/2" or is this a good spot for them to be sitting?

If I should trim the cores what recommendations do folks have for a method for sawing them? I doubt I should just tear into it with a Sawzal but otherwise am unsure.IMG_20240902_172816212.jpgIMG_20240902_172806146.jpgIMG_20240901_151752800.jpg

Scottf270

WKR
I'm no expert but there is usually a gap on horns like sheep and antelope when all tissue is removed. I had a guy do an antelope euro for me and he shoved them all the way down on the skull and it looked bad. Another taxidermist told me he puts Bondo adhesive up inside the horn and holds it in place till it locks in place.

I think your position looks fine with the small gap.

Atigun

FNG
Typically they would sit more flush with the base of the horn core. I just use a wood saw to cut the cores. I’ve also had to sand down the core in areas to get the horn to sit down further after they shrink a bit from drying.

If you cut a couple inches off the end of the horn cores the sheath will sit in a more natural position close to the base. Should be nearly flush with the base when you're done.

I just had a Bighorn mounted. My taxidermist drilled a small alignment hole for a finish nail at the front and back of each horn. After the horns are knocked off and skull cleaned he cuts the cores off so they were about 4" into the horn and used bondo. The alignment holes put the horns as close as possible to where they started.

A deadhead is harder because the horns have shrunk some as they dried out after insects cleaned the cartilage off the cores. There should be about 1/2" or so of space between the skull and bottom edge of the horn.

OP
J

JohnB

WKR
Alright thanks all. I will cut the cores and try to get the sheath to slide down enough to get the sheath flush with the base but not pushed all the way down to in contact with the skull.

Bambistew

WKR
That's a sweet find!

Cut the tip of the cores off. The horn itself may have shrunk (it happens when the horns pop off the skull and they dry out), you may have to sand/grind the cores to get the horns to slip down if cutting the top off doesn't work. the bottom of the horn should be flush with bottom of the core. The core has a sinus in it, and cutting it off will expose the hole and let you clean it up better (less stink) too.

OP
J

JohnB

WKR
That's a sweet find!

Cut the tip of the cores off. The horn itself may have shrunk (it happens when the horns pop off the skull and they dry out), you may have to sand/grind the cores to get the horns to slip down if cutting the top off doesn't work. the bottom of the horn should be flush with bottom of the core. The core has a sinus in it, and cutting it off will expose the hole and let you clean it up better (less stink) too.

Thanks all! I didn't realize there was such a substantial sinus in there. I should have done that a long time ago! I'm going to let it keep degreasing for a while and then will get those sheaths glued on.

Here is a photo of the inside of the core for anyone who is curious.
9850cda7170377bf1eab3c6c7a3066d9.jpg