Big tag with Little Experience

Very fortunate to have drawn a Second archery HQ Bull elk tag in NM this year. I have only 3 years experience elk hunting and have not been successful yet. Drawing this tag obviously comes with a lot of pressure and a desire to fill it. I do not have very high standards for a bull and would be happy with any. Fortunately this is also the first year I will not be going solo.

For someone who has not gotten lots of reps on stalking/ calling/ interacting with elk specifically, what are some tips to get the most chances on elk?

For anyone that may know the area, I will be north of Datil.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Limited pressure and great rut dates is the perfect combination to be aggressive. If you want to sell it to mature bulls you'll need confidence in your calling so do whatever it takes to make that happen.

In some of those situations you can use a locator and then have the other bulls crank up the herd bull so you can sneak in close silently. Then a few low volume cow calls will likely bring in a satellite or two.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
Check out post #7 in this thread. Some really good info there about NM. I think you're wise to set expectations on any bull. I drew a Gila archery tag almost 20 years ago, when I was very green, and in the same shoes as you. I was naive, and had visions of killing a monster, when I should have just been happy to go home with anything.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...egy-change-from-co-to-nm.365301/#post-3723040

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Just remember that HQ tags are solely based on how many people apply. Almost every archery tag in NM that has good public land access is "HQ". But either way you should have less pressure at least compared to pressured CO or similar. The only external pressure to kill a bull comes from your expectations.

Scout, practice calling, learn elk biology, talk to game wardens/biologist. Same as you should for any hunt in a new area.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is a great opportunity for you to gets lots of reps! Be out before sunrise every morning and out until dark every night, Play the wind and be aggressive you will have some opportunities. Best of luck and hopefully this is your year!!

OP
Lonestar_Slinger
Limited pressure and great rut dates is the perfect combination to be aggressive. If you want to sell it to mature bulls you'll need confidence in your calling so do whatever it takes to make that happen.

In some of those situations you can use a locator and then have the other bulls crank up the herd bull so you can sneak in close silently. Then a few low volume cow calls will likely bring in a satellite or two.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
I definitely practice as much as possible and luckily my partner isn't a bad caller. We just don't have any experience talking back in forth with an actual bull.

OP
Lonestar_Slinger
This is a great opportunity for you to gets lots of reps! Be out before sunrise every morning and out until dark every night, Play the wind and be aggressive you will have some opportunities. Best of luck and hopefully this is your year!!
This will be my plan! In the past I haven't been as aggressive but with this tag I can hopefully get multiple at bats.

Gerbdog

WKR
I agree with the above post that you just need to be confident with what your doing while your calling .... if the rut's on you can make just about any sound with that bugle tube so long as you do it confidently.

Last year my step dad came out for a weekend with me ... pulled out his tube to start calling and i immediately regretted bringing him.... it sounded .... i dont know... nothing like an elk.... so i made fun of him.... half hour later he called a bull into 3 yards from me. I could stare at its brain through its nostril.

He was confident it would work... and he was right.