Big Hunt Camp

Hey all, I'll be going on a hunt later this year and I've invited a few folks that I've been wanting to hunt with and some that I already have hunt with and we're up to a 7 man camp. I'm being intentionally vague on the hunt details to avoid the grumbles of "7 more guys coming to my neck of the woods, blah blah". I'm just looking for general big camp advice and experiences that a normal set of logistics and planning might overlook based on having never done it before. (example: is it worth digging a small toilet hole and bringing a bucket to sit on rather than all of us digging foxholes everywhere and potentially digging back up stuff better left buried) Thanks in advance!

I'm excited to be in camp with everybody going so there will certainly be a social aspect of it, but we are all also investing a good bit of time and money into it so we're looking to be as effective as possible in the limited time we have (3-3.5 days of actual hunt time, glassing intensive hunt). We will have 4 trucks and will have a main base camp right off the road so we will be car camping and have access to more luxuries vs backpack hunting. We will most likely will be pairing up and spreading out via the road system to cover as much ground as possible.

Thanks!

TaperPin

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about digging an outhouse - just ask everyone to cover it up by kicking pine needles on it - it gives warning to others where the deed was done and after you leave the coyotes will have a snack. Lol

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
7 guys times 7 days is a lot of holes and it sucks seeing toilet paper everywhere in an otherwise nice camp spot. I found a system with a toilet seat that sits on a five gallon bucket + bags and chemicals. Basically a groover but like 90% less expensive. Something like this.

Can be nice to take turns cooking group dinners.

Tmac

WKR
Either dig a hole for an outhouse or a trench.

As long as the ground is not frozen I usually dig a trench. The trench just takes a shovel, dig one about 10’ long, begin deposits at one end, cover each deposit and repeat. Couple days later, dig another trench. Just needs to be deep enough to allow adequate coverage.

In 2019 I watched some guys set up a village that a city would have given a certificate of occupancy to.

Bunk wall tents
Dining wall tent
Tents for quads
Tent for a cooking area
Enough firewood for the winter
And, of course, an outhouse tent.

I think they were gonna be there a while. Not saying you need to have all that...but it sure looked cozy.

bj00pb

FNG
Dig the hole and bring the bucket. Dig deep if you're mostly hunting from that camp. Rig a cheap toilet seat to it or just set a puffy one on top....believe me it's worth it. Also use a garbage bag for a liner inside the bucket. Cut the closed end off so the bag has 2 open ends and if tucked in properly the bucket doesn't get messy. At the end of the trip unfold carefully and throw away the bag.

TaperPin

WKR
Surface sh*thing isn't cool. Don't listen to this troll
Whatever. Roll it into little balls and pack it up in baggies and take it home if you want, but I’m not going to use the same tree limb to hang onto with 6 other dudes simply because you can’t figure out how to kick pine needles to cover yours up.

Last edited:
I suggest cutting a 55 gallon drum in half and using that for a $hitter seat platform with an actual toilet seat attached.. Dig a deep hole.

Put a hunting ground blind over it and bring a bag of cedar chips and spread them around the floor.

Have a little bucket of lime in there as well.

Everyone digs a single hole on arrival about 2.5 feet deep and pile dirt next to it. With that many people, may want a way to mark each hole. Crap, cover with a couple inches of dirt, repeat. No poop is ever exposed, no one is re-digging holes, no one is stepping in marked holes. On a 10 day moose hunt, we typically can go a whole hunt with no more than 2 holes each. If you want to cut out a foldable chair and mount a seat on it to move from hole to hole, go for it.

One of those toilet over chair things works pretty good, things that sit over the toilet with a seat mounted on them, but 4 legs like a chair. Big hole under it.

Could cover it I guess, depends on how much cover you have around.
Bucket of lime to sprinkle on everything.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
For toilet, I took a metal folding chair and cut out the seat and left enough to attach a toilet seat on it. Use a five gallon bucket with a trash bag and some kind of cover. I welded 3" square feet on each leg, that way they don't sink into loose soil. I always decide what we need for X amount of days, them ask everyone to bring certain Items along with anything they think they need. Divid up all the meals and ask everyone to bring a certain meal, that way you won't have everyone bringing the same thing for each meal, For example, day one, Fred you take care of breakfast, bill you have lunch, Dave you have supper. The next day you can change that around so one person does not always have the same meal. Everyone bring some fire wood, unless you know there is a good amount where you are going to came. I could go on and on but you get the idea how I handle things. Years ago we all decided one person should be in charge of setting things up and make sure they go smoothly. My friends made me that person.

OP
hunthikecamp
Thanks for all the input, I didn't mean for it to become a shitter only thread but hey it's all good info🤣 will probably do the bucket with a trash bag and call it a day.

Phaseolus

WKR
I suggest cutting a 55 gallon drum in half and using that for a $hitter seat platform with an actual toilet seat attached.. Dig a deep hole.

Put a hunting ground blind over it and bring a bag of cedar chips and spread them around the floor.

Have a little bucket of lime in there as well.
And take the barrel home when you leave!

We've done a lot of big camps, but usually for birds. Especially doves.

Plan who's bringing what kinds of food. But lots of food planning is a waste of time.