big coyotes

TheGDog

WKR
Question to the guys that are actually weighing them with scales in the field...

What's a good scale to get for doing this weighing, that you've used before AND YOU LIKED it's ease of use?

And one that could measure even up to as high as say a MuleDeer's weight?

Or is this the sorta thing where HarborFreight makes something decent enough for this purpose?

WCB

WKR
Question to the guys that are actually weighing them with scales in the field...

What's a good scale to get for doing this weighing, that you've used before AND YOU LIKED it's ease of use?

And one that could measure even up to as high as say a MuleDeer's weight?

Or is this the sorta thing where HarborFreight makes something decent enough for this purpose?
I have a cheap $30 digital scale that goes to like #450....works good enough. I've verified the weight before and it is pretty darn close...like a couple oz. off. I wouldn't go spend any real money on one.

Erict

WKR

I have two of THESE. They only go to 88 lbs but I use them for turkey, coyotes, and anything in that range. Cheap and reliable, plus they have auto-off, tare and a few other functions that work for me.

If convenient, you could probably just get by using your house "bathroom" scale and stepping on while holding your "catch".

Agross

WKR
I just use a digital fish scale . It has a hook on the end with a handle on top . Then I have a small piece of nylon rope with a loop tied on each end.

OP
D

duckp

FNG
+ 1 on what agross said i never carry one when im calling to much to carry without all the other junk if i think its big ill go back to truck and get it or go next day

Blong

FNG
I have not shot one that big, but a buddy on mine shot one that weighed a hair under 50lbs, Biggest one I have seen in my limited time coyote hunting.

MBAlex

FNG
Biggest one yet I got last week. Buying a scale today before I go out again. I’d guess he was around 40lb3B0464C9-4B19-4EF7-9812-117DAAAE162C.jpeg

i have no reason not to believe there are some 50b or even 60 lb. coyote ,s out there your scale proves that . never thought much on the gorged coyote makes sence but you can tell them big old coyotes they got a big old blocky head. and a gray snoot . what i,m not buying that they are a wolf cross. wolfs hate coyotes and will kill one whenever they can
Yes there are. Virginia probably has some the biggest coyotes. I shot a 62# one and my buddy shot a 66# coyote. I'll have to find the photos. Killed them about 6 or 7 years ago. shot a few in the 50# range too. All the coyotes in GA were in the 40# range.

We were using calibrated scales when we weighed them

Rogue Bay

WKR
I’ve never weighed one personally but I also haven’t killed one bigger than what I’d consider average.

I have a buddy in northeastern Oregon that trapped one a few years ago that weighed 63 pounds. Biggest one I’d heard of until this thread. Some big dogs on here!

I’ve never weighed one personally but I also haven’t killed one bigger than what I’d consider average.

I have a buddy in northeastern Oregon that trapped one a few years ago that weighed 63 pounds. Biggest one I’d heard of until this thread. Some big dogs on here!
The 2 bigguns I mentioned were killed in Ag country near chicken farms... They ate well and the farmers thanked us profusely when we removed their source of predation

Rogue Bay

WKR
The 2 bigguns I mentioned were killed in Ag country near chicken farms... They ate well and the farmers thanked us profusely when we removed their source of predation
From what I’ve read and heard they definitely seem to grow larger further east. Add in a steady diet and I can see how they would grow to such impressive proportions.

OP
D

duckp

FNG
i agree with everybody on coyotes get bigger in the eastern states . but why is it they say the western coyotes get a better price for there fur