big coyotes

duckp

FNG
whats the biggest coyote has everbody ever shot not a guess ones that been weight my biggest was a 43.5 this yr that was in indiana i think up north they get a little bigger. im 69 yrs old and have shot plenty of coyotes . probly not close to guys hunting out west farther

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I used to kill hundreds per year in Northern California. Regularly killed 45+ lb dogs. We rarely weighed them, you start to get a feel for their weight just killing so many and holding the dead weight.

I think the heaviest one we actually weighed was around 47 lbs. I’ve killed several that felt heavier than that one.

whats the biggest coyote has everbody ever shot not a guess ones that been weight my biggest was a 43.5 this yr that was in indiana i think up north they get a little bigger. im 69 yrs old and have shot plenty of coyotes . probly not close to guys hunting out west farther
I killed a big male about 20 years ago in CO that we weighed at 52 lbs. on a feed scale. Last year I killed one on the highline in MT that went 48 with my digital fishing scale. My biggest average definitely comes from the northern coyotes they get big.

Top Dog

FNG
Hit the local news yesterday in Ridgefield,CT a "hunter" (and I use that term lightly) with his crossbow killed two German Shepards thinking that they were coyotes. He then skinned them and beheaded them and posted it on social media. He was in Danbury,CT court yesterday and I hope that fish & game take his bow and his truck and he gets some serious time. Then I hope the owner of the German Shepards sues him for everything he has.

He makes hunters look bad.

Any thoughts on this??

Top Dog

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
Hit the local news yesterday in Ridgefield,CT a "hunter" (and I use that term lightly) with his crossbow killed two German Shepards thinking that they were coyotes. He then skinned them and beheaded them and posted it on social media. He was in Danbury,CT court yesterday and I hope that fish & game take his bow and his truck and he gets some serious time. Then I hope the owner of the German Shepards sues him for everything he has.

He makes hunters look bad.

Any thoughts on this??

Top Dog
Idiots like that are the reason there are so many anti hunters today. He deserves jail time for mutilating someone’s pet. It’s pretty easy to tell the difference

IW17

FNG
My cousin has a coyote mounted that he killed, weighed 63 lbs. I'll try to remember and get a picture of it when I see him from Christmas eve. I've killed a couple that were at least as big. The thing is, I honestly believe most of the big dogs people kill are due to having gorged themselves prior to being killed. Empty stomachs would change their weight dramatically. Region matters too. In eastern Ohio, I'd say our average coyote killed is over 40. I've always heard eastern dogs have wolf in their DNA which makes them larger. Could be rumors and wives tales.

Erict

WKR
January 2016 - we had a pretty good cold spell in upstate NY north of Syracuse. Had several road killed deer bait piles going for a while. Shot all 3 the same night with my .17 WSM rimfire. I retested the scale a day after that trip just to see if it was off but it wasn't - what you see is the tared (true) carcass weight only. I'm sure many will be skeptical and that's fine - these were not entered in a contest and I have nothing to prove other than they were some really big coyotes. Our "average" yotes are 30-35, with 40 not uncommon.

PS - I should add that although the eastern yotes are bigger, their fur is no match for the smaller beauties from Montana, ND, etc...

55 pounder.jpg

51 pounder.jpg

31 pounder.jpg

P1030270 - 134 pounds of yote.jpg

Skinned.jpg

Last edited:
OP
D

duckp

FNG
i have no reason not to believe there are some 50b or even 60 lb. coyote ,s out there your scale proves that . never thought much on the gorged coyote makes sence but you can tell them big old coyotes they got a big old blocky head. and a gray snoot . what i,m not buying that they are a wolf cross. wolfs hate coyotes and will kill one whenever they can

Coyote.jpg

Taudisio

WKR
These are some big dogs! I usually kill them around the horses on the farm. I seem to get the small and dumb ones. 17hmr was 4 for 4 last year. Never weighed one

TheGDog

WKR
Only have a handful under my belt yet. Started later in life.

Not "Big" But... was the nicest so far. Took week before Deer General Season 2022.

I'm gonna estimate this one was around maybe 35+Lbs.
20221002_133154.jpg
I was surprised at how heavy she felt. Noticeably heavier than the the prior ones I'd taken in Desert Habitats.

My Rat Terrier was 26 Lbs. And this yote was a significant chunk bigger and heavier than her.

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
January 2016 - we had a pretty good cold spell in upstate NY north of Syracuse. Had several road killed deer bait piles going for a while. Shot all 3 the same night with my .17 WSM rimfire. I retested the scale a day after that trip just to see if it was off but it wasn't - what you see is the tared (true) carcass weight only. I'm sure many will be skeptical and that's fine - these were not entered in a contest and I have nothing to prove other than they were some really big coyotes. Our "average" yotes are 30-35, with 40 not uncommon.

View attachment 526987

View attachment 526988

View attachment 526989

View attachment 526990

View attachment 526991

I like the scales and the coyote in the same picture. Usually don’t get that. Nice work.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Trapped one that was 35.4lbs. Good sized for Central Texas, I was waiting for a 40lbr to get tanned but never got there.

Attachments

• AA3ADE41-E5F3-495C-883E-2945F7502464.png
    AA3ADE41-E5F3-495C-883E-2945F7502464.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Hunted in a lot of tournaments in the Dakotas....not sure on all of them but one tournament in North Central ND over the years the average weight is 26-27lbs...Big dog is normally 40-43lbs don't remember one big than that. On average probably 80 coyotes shot during the tournament some years a little under some over. Small dog is usually in the low teens.

Obviously there are the exceptions and going up further north I can see the average growing but at least the "western" coyotes in the plains that seems about average. Our biggest in any tournament has been 39lbs. Personal biggest is 45 and some change here in MN