Big city living

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I live in a town of 25000 and it’s too big for me. All I really need is a gas station and Safeway within an hour and I’m good. I used to live in a town of 200 and that was great.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Yikes. Holy buckets....thats alot of people.
I dont know how you do it!
For anyone thinking I'm looking down on city folk. I'm not. Apologies if it came across that way.
Yall far tougher then me.
Even with times of escape just wow.
Can't even wrap my brain around 3.5 million.

Kinda funny looking at my perspective after all the comments.🤣....what a sister I am....

I live in a metro area of nearly a million people, but it's much smaller than where I grew up and call home...

My business needs customers, and a diverse list of suppliers.

I like having an assortment of restraunts. Places to see a show, get a drink, coffee, etc... My wife loves having a world class ballet company.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
LoL if you think Kansas City is too urban or has appreciable traffic. Honestly KC barely qualifies as a city, it’s mostly a 80 mile circle of suburbs. It’s like a 2/10 compared to Chicago/LA/Atlanta. If anything KC’s problem is that it’s too spread out for a city of its size and doesn’t really have concentrated urban core at lets you walk and take advantage of the city upsides.

The reality of choosing to live in a city is nearly 100% economic. It generally provides opportunities for education, higher wages and stability if one employer or industry takes a downturn than a rural environment. That’s why most people live there even if it’s a worse environment. Also most cities have some areas/suburbs with top tier schools. In the KC area you buy a house in the Southwest Kansas suburbs so your kids can go to a top 10 in the nation public school district.

Cities do have some upsides and I’m not a big “city person” but I have lived in a town of 16,000 and a city of 7 million people in a high rise apartment and anything in between. Cities have way better food and entertainment than rural places. Ever eat at a Michelin star restaurant out in the country? Want to go to a pro sports game or a concert on a weeknight? Sure no problem buy the ticket and go after work and walk/take the train and have as many beers as you want because you don’t have to drive home. Want to be close to an airport with direct flights most anywhere in the country and lots of international options a city definitely wins out. If you travel for work you can literally save 1 day per week living near a good airport versus taking 3 flights to get anywhere or driving 4 hours to an airport.

Everyone in an urban environment could benefit from living in the country and everyone in the country would be better having lived a year in a city. It creates diverse life experience and perspective.
Well.. I'm not interested in any of the stuff you mentioned.
I agree whole heartedly that each way can benefit from seeing the other way of living.

I'm 100 percent certain I'm done whimpering about the next to nothing traffic in the town I work in during off season in montsna.

Been doing some math and looking at numbers for the big cities in this country...
Holy buckets I'm such a sister...Can't wait to get my skinny butt back to bears though

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I live in DC and it’s miserable. Some people really enjoy having lots of options for entertainment, dining, and nightlife but I don’t really care about that stuff, anything I’m interested in I have to leave DC to go do. Born and raised in rural WI and I really miss it.

I have 8.5 years left until I can retire from the AF, and at this point I think I’ll probably go back to WI if I can figure out something for work there. My skillset aligns the best with a job in the NCR, but no way I’d be moving here for good.

My grandpa lives 27 miles from the closest paved road in Wyoming. He has retirement figured out.

I live in rural SC and it’s still too busy for me. I don’t drink, don’t like clubs, make every thing at home and never take destination vacations. Lived all over the world being in the Marine Corps and learned cities are not for me. Anytime there are more farm animals then people I’m happy.

Grew up very rural, live in/near the city now. Always find it funny how damn noisy it is up north now, dogs barking, tractor running geese squawking, atvs buzzing past. It's quieter in my back yard. I can hunt fish no different in a half hour drive here. Personally found the social life and convenience to outweigh the solitude aka peace and quiet of rural life

Kurts86

WKR
Well.. I'm not interested in any of the stuff you mentioned.

Not interested or never experienced? They aren’t necessarily the same thing.

I went kicking and screaming to the cities after college because of my wife’s grad school. I legitimately fought it the first 4 years I lived in the a major urban area, I lived in exburbs and Suburbs which are the worst way to experience it. The 2nd half we moved downtown, sold 1 car and lived within walking/biking distance of work and school and I really learned to love it for what it was. There was always still an uneasy tension about certain things especially with regard to hunting/guns but I found a way to make it work. I definitely turned into an accidental foodie just because of the people I met and the places that were available. I was not an adventurous eater before but I waded in little by little.

I know this sounds counterintuitive but I had a lot more higher level outdoor experiences and met a lot of outdoorsy people in the city. There were a lot of successful 25-35 year old professionals that wanted to go do cool stuff and had the time and means to pull it off. Basically it took a lot to do the “nearby” outdoor activities so we traveled and did destination trips whether it was mountain biking or hunting. It wasn’t unusual to work until 3 pm on a Friday, Uber to the airport and be biking or hunting half way across the country on Saturday morning. This was still dirt bag DIY stuff but you could fly direct to DEN/SLC/PHX for $200, split rental cars and hotels and have a cool long weekend.

As far as small towns that get absorbed by urban areas they are often the worst traffic and drive time wise. They don’t usually have infrastructure built intended for high traffic and they tend to have awful commutes as people drive towards the metro in the morning and back in the afternoon. The reason people pay a lot of money for a tiny place downtown in a city is for stuff to be close and not waste time commuting.

As far as driving in a metro area you have to abandon being Midwestern nice and drive like it’s Mario Kart. To hesitate is the greatest sin driving in the city. Wait to merge until the last second, find an out of state plate to cut off and bomb across 4 lanes of traffic. Realize large vehicles are a liability not an asset trying to drive and park. Don’t be the guy that decided to drive his long bed F350 to the 12 story parking garage and then complains.

Living an operating in an urban area is a skill just like being safe in Grizzly bear country. If you embrace it and try to become good at it can be fun. If you are scared of it and write it off before you have really tried it does no good.

Not interested or never experienced? They aren’t necessarily the same thing.

I went kicking and screaming to the cities after college because of my wife’s grad school. I legitimately fought it the first 4 years I lived in the a major urban area, I lived in exburbs and Suburbs which are the worst way to experience it. The 2nd half we moved downtown, sold 1 car and lived within walking/biking distance of work and school and I really learned to love it for what it was. There was always still an uneasy tension about certain things especially with regard to hunting/guns but I found a way to make it work. I definitely turned into an accidental foodie just because of the people I met and the places that were available. I was not an adventurous eater before but I waded in little by little.

I know this sounds counterintuitive but I had a lot more higher level outdoor experiences and met a lot of outdoorsy people in the city. There were a lot of successful 25-35 year old professionals that wanted to go do cool stuff and had the time and means to pull it off. Basically it took a lot to do the “nearby” outdoor activities so we traveled and did destination trips whether it was mountain biking or hunting. It wasn’t unusual to work until 3 pm on a Friday, Uber to the airport and be biking or hunting half way across the country on Saturday morning. This was still dirt bag DIY stuff but you could fly direct to DEN/SLC/PHX for $200, split rental cars and hotels and have a cool long weekend.

As far as small towns that get absorbed by urban areas they are often the worst traffic and drive time wise. They don’t usually have infrastructure built intended for high traffic and they tend to have awful commutes as people drive towards the metro in the morning and back in the afternoon. The reason people pay a lot of money for a tiny place downtown in a city is for stuff to be close and not waste time commuting.

As far as driving in a metro area you have to abandon being Midwestern nice and drive like it’s Mario Kart. To hesitate is the greatest sin driving in the city. Wait to merge until the last second, find an out of state plate to cut off and bomb across 4 lanes of traffic. Realize large vehicles are a liability not an asset trying to drive and park. Don’t be the guy that decided to drive his long bed F350 to the 12 story parking garage and then complains.

Living an operating in an urban area is a skill just like being safe in Grizzly bear country. If you embrace it and try to become good at it can be fun. If you are scared of it and write it off before you have really tried it does no good.
Very well said.

I own you a beverage!

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I've experienced all those in the past.
All this time in missouri is doing. Making me remember why I live where and how I do. Sometimes a fella needed reminded of things I guess.
My last time on a airplane was April 2002. Swore I would never fly or leave US again ever.

Recent events in life have really hammered home to me what is and is not important to me

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might be the only member here that doesn’t hate Denver (and the region). Economy, healthcare and opportunity are universal to most cities but this place is one of a few cities that also puts you in short distance of some great outdoors. Sure the hunting is arguably going downhill but there is so much more to do here too.
Definitely not a fan of central Denver itself as it’s become big city congested just on a smaller scale.
The downside is you can’t live an hour or two from the city and cut your cost of living down like some places.
Job wise I got myself into a unique opportunity in my industry. If I wanted to relocate it would be very difficult in another city and nonexistent in a small town.
I would go nuts in most cities overall I like it here.

Fatcamp

WKR
I might be the only member here that doesn’t hate Denver (and the region). Economy, healthcare and opportunity are universal to most cities but this place is one of a few cities that also puts you in short distance of some great outdoors. Sure the hunting is arguably going downhill but there is so much more to do here too.
Definitely not a fan of central Denver itself as it’s become big city congested just on a smaller scale.
The downside is you can’t live an hour or two from the city and cut your cost of living down like some places.
Job wise I got myself into a unique opportunity in my industry. If I wanted to relocate it would be very difficult in another city and nonexistent in a small town.

Gawdawful experience the front range is now. I'm not sure what your secret is to finding great outdoors at a short distance but when we go see our kids it takes forever to get out of town and we never seem to leave the crowds behind. It's like rush hour traffic heading into the mountains. Miserable.

JStol5

WKR
LoL if you think Kansas City is too urban or has appreciable traffic. Honestly KC barely qualifies as a city, it’s mostly a 80 mile circle of suburbs. It’s like a 2/10 compared to Chicago/LA/Atlanta. If anything KC’s problem is that it’s too spread out for a city of its size and doesn’t really have concentrated urban core at lets you walk and take advantage of the city upsides.

The reality of choosing to live in a city is nearly 100% economic. It generally provides opportunities for education, higher wages and stability if one employer or industry takes a downturn than a rural environment. That’s why most people live there even if it’s a worse environment. Also most cities have some areas/suburbs with top tier schools. In the KC area you buy a house in the Southwest Kansas suburbs so your kids can go to a top 10 in the nation public school district.

Cities do have some upsides and I’m not a big “city person” but I have lived in a town of 16,000 and a city of 7 million people in a high rise apartment and anything in between. Cities have way better food and entertainment than rural places. Ever eat at a Michelin star restaurant out in the country? Want to go to a pro sports game or a concert on a weeknight? Sure no problem buy the ticket and go after work and walk/take the train and have as many beers as you want because you don’t have to drive home. Want to be close to an airport with direct flights most anywhere in the country and lots of international options a city definitely wins out. If you travel for work you can literally save 1 day per week living near a good airport versus taking 3 flights to get anywhere or driving 4 hours to an airport.

Everyone in an urban environment could benefit from living in the country and everyone in the country would be better having lived a year in a city. It creates diverse life experience and perspective.
I agree with the perspective aspect. I live in San Francisco. Originally from the foothills of the mountains in Southern California. It makes me appreciate the mountains and accessibility to nature so much more. And SF has pretty spectacular outdoor opportunities- I can’t imagine living in a place like NYC. Only planning on staying in the city a year or two.

hunterjmj

WKR
I lived in the Omaha area while I went to school and I don't miss the city life one bit. I did meet my wife there though. When I finished we moved back west to Bozeman and now central Montana. I've eaten at nice places and did some of the city stuff but I don't miss it at all. We go to SLC for the expo and Omaha to visit the wife's family and tyat seems to fill our city life bucket. I don't
feel like I'm missing out on anything. I enjoy looking out from our shop and seeing the neighbors cows, kids running around and cooking dam good food on the grill. Wouldn't move to a city if I was offered $200k/ year. I will say that a Florida vacation is fun and we are planning a Seoul food vacation.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Just not interested in city things at all.
The most beautiful ballet in the happens at night in winter when northern lights are dancing on tge snow.
Best meal in entire world is made when my wife and I fix it together.
Spending a evening playing stupid board games with kids. Yes please. Sitting outside at night in total silence. Yes.

Need alittle adrenaline. Go sleep in a tent in middle of nothing by yourself. Listen to wolves howl and know a bear could end it all anytime. Yes please.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gawdawful experience the front range is now. I'm not sure what your secret is to finding great outdoors at a short distance but when we go see our kids it takes forever to get out of town and we never seem to leave the crowds behind. It's like rush hour traffic heading into the mountains. Miserable.
Timing and living on the west side so I don’t have to cross the city to get to the hills. We used to go camping and ride bikes/atv, shoot guns and bows, hike the area, fish nearby all in a weekend trip. That’s not so easy anymore so we pick an activity and go do that for a day. It’s actually more enjoyable in some ways because I don’t have to pack so much stuff.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I think the drastic change is a handful of years is shocking for locals. Seems like 1.5-2 drive is required these days for halfway decent recreation. My in-laws live in Prescott, AZ and tons of recreation within 20-40 min blew my FILs mind that I had to drive so far, but it’s a much smaller town obviously than the frontrange or Denver metro

jmez

WKR
Priorities, choices and different strokes for different folks. The majority of people love the city, I'm thankful for that. It leaves isolated places for those of us that enjoy them.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk