Big Buddy problems

SM1

FNG
My big buddy would fizzle out and almost go out after lighting fine. Thought it was my filter hooked up through the 20# tank, but I didn’t have a lot of hours on my filter. Used a Mr heater hose that apparently don’t need a filter with.
(My understanding is the high pressure in a wrong hose can release oil, not the tank..?)

Ended up reading on the web site that sometimes the 20# tank needs to be opened very slowly and just cracked open. Tried this and the heater ran great with the same filter and tank. Couldn’t believe it.
Easy thing to try.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
My big buddy would fizzle out and almost go out after lighting fine. Thought it was my filter hooked up through the 20# tank, but I didn’t have a lot of hours on my filter. Used a Mr heater hose that apparently don’t need a filter with.
(My understanding is the high pressure in a wrong hose can release oil, not the tank..?)

Ended up reading on the web site that sometimes the 20# tank needs to be opened very slowly and just cracked open. Tried this and the heater ran great with the same filter and tank. Couldn’t believe it.
Easy thing to try.
I learned that trick as well. What did people do before the internet?

Aklongbow

FNG
I was wondering if you use the filter when using the 20 lb tank? I watched the video where the guy blew all of the oil out of the line and that was the first thing I tried. My lines appeared to be clean as a whistle, but I have only ran it with a filter attached and I replace the filter every year.
I used to run a filter and still always had the issues .... so I just got rid of it and run a quick connect now .
Also the big buddy heater has a fan supplied by D batteries . You can buy a MOJO duck rechargeable battery and wire it in instead. The battery will fit right inside of the propane storage!!!!

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
I used to run a filter and still always had the issues .... so I just got rid of it and run a quick connect now .
Also the big buddy heater has a fan supplied by D batteries . You can buy a MOJO duck rechargeable battery and wire it in instead. The battery will fit right inside of the propane storage!!!!
Nice, you must have a different model than me. Mine doesn’t have the built in fan, but a wood stove fan that runs on heat differential with a notch cut out to fit in the grate works well.

Rob5589

WKR
This morning I used the new hose that is recommended, which also said does not need a filter. Worked perfectly. I do have a filter coming as added insurance.

Also, this new one does not have the fan like my old one did. So they must have changed somewhere along the way.