Big bore build, grouse to Cape buffalo

Decker9

WKR
I think this forum needs some classic styled open sighted big bore love, don’t you?

With my lady and I both working shift work I find myself having to be quiet around the house, good time to tinker a bit on stocks, or least get the plans going.

IMG_4138.jpeg

Growing up as a kid, there was nothing funner then the grouse loads in grandads .458wm! I do not recall what they were other then cast lead, but they were fun! With having other big bores, I plan to get into casting to save a little $$, and I look forward to exploring the old “grouse loads” from my young days.

Though I will use it from grouse to moose, this build has a whole different purpose really. Grandad built it from the ground up for his second Cape buffalo hunt, but unfortunately when he went in the late 80’s, the airline lost this rifle, so it didn’t get used for its intended purpose.

The older I get, the more I find myself reminiscing about him and all he taught me in my young years. I can’t help but feel he’d be pretty proud if I could carry on his plan of a Cape buffalo with his rifle. I’m hoping by 2028/29, my Cape buffalo savings account will afford this rifle and I a trip to Africa to fulfill its duties.

I haven’t shot this rifle in 25 or so years, due to me being a lefty, my hand eats that rear site with full charge loads, plus it wore a model 70 steel buttplate…. Grandad was obviously tougher then I.
IMG_1813.jpeg

Gripping it right handed though, is one of the comfiest grips Iv gripped.

IMG_4142.jpegIMG_4141.jpeg
IMG_4144.jpeg

I will be copying the grip but to my left hand, and I’ll add a cheek piece with shadow line, still to be figured out though depending on where things land. I will have an Ebony cap to go with the shiny dark bluing, grip cap, still to be figured out. I may try and get the antler grip off of his stock, but it’s glued on so I’m not sure yet about that.

This won’t be a fast process as my chores are piled high this summer snd falls always full of hunt plans. I will tinker away though when I can. More likely progress will pick up after October.

First task is to draw out my outline, and have it cut on a bandsaw at the local cabinet maker. This and a drill for the action screws, magazine and trigger mortise will be the only power tools used.

Due to a cheek piece, I’ll be laying out and working off of the left side only. I’m excited for this one as Iv never done a shadow line cheek piece from scratch before.

IMG_4143.jpeg
IMG_4146.jpeg

IMG_4148.jpeg
IMG_4137.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4143.jpeg
    IMG_4143.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 20
I think this forum needs some classic styled open sighted big bore love, don’t you?

With my lady and I both working shift work I find myself having to be quiet around the house, good time to tinker a bit on stocks, or least get the plans going.

View attachment 707424

Growing up as a kid, there was nothing funner then the grouse loads in grandads .458wm! I do not recall what they were other then cast lead, but they were fun! With having other big bores, I plan to get into casting to save a little $$, and I look forward to exploring the old “grouse loads” from my young days.

Though I will use it from grouse to moose, this build has a whole different purpose really. Grandad built it from the ground up for his second Cape buffalo hunt, but unfortunately when he went in the late 80’s, the airline lost this rifle, so it didn’t get used for its intended purpose.

The older I get, the more I find myself reminiscing about him and all he taught me in my young years. I can’t help but feel he’d be pretty proud if I could carry on his plan of a Cape buffalo with his rifle. I’m hoping by 2028/29, my Cape buffalo savings account will afford this rifle and I a trip to Africa to fulfill its duties.

I haven’t shot this rifle in 25 or so years, due to me being a lefty, my hand eats that rear site with full charge loads, plus it wore a model 70 steel buttplate…. Grandad was obviously tougher then I.
View attachment 707816

Gripping it right handed though, is one of the comfiest grips Iv gripped.

View attachment 707770View attachment 707771
View attachment 707769

I will be copying the grip but to my left hand, and I’ll add a cheek piece with shadow line, still to be figured out though depending on where things land. I will have an Ebony cap to go with the shiny dark bluing, grip cap, still to be figured out. I may try and get the antler grip off of his stock, but it’s glued on so I’m not sure yet about that.

This won’t be a fast process as my chores are piled high this summer snd falls always full of hunt plans. I will tinker away though when I can. More likely progress will pick up after October.

First task is to draw out my outline, and have it cut on a bandsaw at the local cabinet maker. This and a drill for the action screws, magazine and trigger mortise will be the only power tools used.

Due to a cheek piece, I’ll be laying out and working off of the left side only. I’m excited for this one as Iv never done a shadow line cheek piece from scratch before.

View attachment 707811
View attachment 707798

View attachment 707766
View attachment 707422
Too cool

Outstanding on all accounts! Color me a committed follower, all the way through to when this gun brings a cape buffalo to grass.

biggest most important part especially in a boomer is grain flow. Something that caught my eye when I ordered this blank was the template the fellow drew on it, was ass backwards.

The right grain flow

IMG_4160.jpeg
IMG_4163.jpeg

Wrong grain flow

IMG_4161.jpegIMG_4164.jpeg

Always, flow up in or straight through the wrist and action, never down.

cheers fellas!

Dropped the blank off with the cabinet maker to get the shape roughed out, excited to get drawing up some ideas. The layout is a challenge I’m looking forward to with the cheek piece.

With the recent run in the meme stocks, Africa got a bit closer then planned!

Can you explain what grouse loads are?

There is a Facebook page called buck and slug reloaders. I think you will find the members there to be a wealth of knowledge on casting lead. Those guys are real into all things hand loading for shotguns.

Can you explain what grouse loads are?

There is a Facebook page called buck and slug reloaders. I think you will find the members there to be a wealth of knowledge on casting lead. Those guys are real into all things hand loading for shotguns.

Tbh, I don’t recall what powder we used, but if I do remember correct, we did use cast bullets. Most of his .458 and .375’s had “grouse loads” that had super mild recoil to them. When we went hunting, he’d have a pocket of each, grouse loads and “full bore” loads he’d call them.

I appreciate the advise on the group, but I’m not on the FB anymore. It really does have its benefits for that stuff though I think.

H4895 and Trail Boss are super popular for reduced loads. Might look for some old articles by Kifaru’s Patrick Smith, he was a big proponent of carrying some light loads to shoot small game for the pot on his rambling adventures.

H4895 and Trail Boss are super popular for reduced loads. Might look for some old articles by Kifaru’s Patrick Smith, he was a big proponent of carrying some light loads to shoot small game for the pot on his rambling adventures.

Thanks Steve!! I do use H4895 a lot in my .375’s, really like that stuff. My daughter, is 11 and very timid towards recoil and loud bangs. Iv went from reduced loads with H4895 in a .243, to a 6.5 Grendel, and now have her a .222 rem to try out. I’m debating picking up some trail boss to try in the .222.

It seems from what I read, trail boss may be a bit tamer then the H4895 for reduced loads maybe?

I believe that is correct; I’ve only used H4895 though. If some of that doesn’t start showing up on shelves soon I will probably start experimenting with the Trail Boss.

Well call it a lucky day! You never know when one of these will show up in the middle of the blank, but when they show up where the magazine cutout will be, can’t help but chuckle a little.

With the cheek piece going on the left side, should help a bit too.

IMG_4253.jpeg
IMG_4254.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpegIMG_4256.jpegIMG_4258.jpeg

Back