BH209 ignition delay?

I am in the process of finding a load for my knight disc extreme and was wanting to shoot BH209 for my upcoming New Mexico elk hunt. I have always muzzleloader hunted here in Washington using 110 grains 777 FFFG with a Barnes Sabot 290 grain bullet and magnum 209 primer. I wanted something cleaner with no smoke and a little hotter load. At the range yesterday I loaded with the BH209 and I am getting a slight delay on ignition is this normal? What changes can I make to get it to be when I pull the trigger it shoots? Being frustrated I put a few of my old loads in and it is instant just like a rifle.

Thanks
Mitchell

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Is this the red plastic jacket plug or bare primer?

The red plastic jacket system aka FPJ can be temperament with BH209.

OP
NW_Bucketlist
Is this the red plastic jacket plug or bare primer?

The red plastic jacket system aka FPJ can be temperament with BH209.
It is with the red jacket I didn’t even know they made a plug without it I will check it out thank you

This is what need

And one of these

This will convert you FPJ bolt to a bare primer bolt along with a bare primer breech plug and vent liner

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Get the Lehigh adapter, plug and a 4 pack of vent liners. That should be about $60 total. You will be set for years. The Lehigh plug has a 5/32 flash channel so you will need that size drill bit to keep it clean of carbon. Good idea to do it within 20 shots or so.

The FPJ plug is probably a 1/8" on the older plug. Not sure on newer ones.
ejGIRDN.jpg

The adapter stays in the bolt until you take the bolt out of the action. You just drop a primer in the opening while its in the bolt. Very simple really.
DTcH0pR.jpg

Last edited:
We tried to use it in a Traditions Vortex. Had slight delays during the summer at the range, but thought it may not be an issue. Wrong. Had a hunt in Nebraska in Cold weather and if it went off, it was a significant delay. Make sure your breach plug is good for it. Any delay now will be much worse later.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
We tried to use it in a Traditions Vortex. Had slight delays during the summer at the range, but thought it may not be an issue.

There is a big difference in quality and testing that went into the Lehigh plugs vs what Traditions sells. Larger flash channel that wont clog up as fast and its just a far better design for lighting up BH209.

Let me ask you this.....How often have you cleaned that Traditions breech plug with a 1/8 bit as recommended by Western powders?

bp_diagram.jpg

Last edited: