Best zero degree down bags

Im looking for a good zero degree down sleeping bag. The stone glacier chilkoot seems to be my number one choice. Anyone have any other suggestions for a zero degree bag that is sub 3 pounds

f16woody

FNG
Recently upgraded to a Katabatic Quilt and must say had my doubts going into my first trip. After using in base camp and on an overnighter in the backcountry, I’d highly recommend giving them a try!! Based on my experience, my 22F Alsek felt more like a 10F mummy bag.

OP
T
I can’t even believe I’m looking at spending this much on a sleeping bag. But now that I am looking I really like the feathered friends and western mountaineering also. But what makes them worth $200-$350 more than the stone glacier? I really don’t know much beyond temperature rating and weight when comparing these bags. And they all should fit me great I’m only 5’6”

They cost more because they are made in America instead of China.

Chilkoot is a great bag.

Lots of lightly used chilkoots and western mountaineering income up in the classifieds here. I haven't seen many feathered friends or katabatics.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I just bought a 0° Enlightened Equip 3/4 zip w/closed foot box. I haven't had a chance to get it in cold temps yet, will in a few weeks, but I have been impressed with the weight, loft, and comfort.

chasewild

WKR
I'm a believer in Western Mountaineering, and my apache MF has retained its loft incredibly well. I was, however, VERY impressed with a friends Chilkoot simply because of the hydrophobic down they use.

rayporter

WKR
for cold weather a good form fitting hood is a must.
good wind baffles around your neck and the zipper are also necessary. plus zippers that WORK.

getting a too short bag is not good, as is one that is too narrow. you compress the insulation.

you can keep clothes in a long bag for in the morning.

wrap boots in a garbage bag and put them in the bag so you dont have frozen boots in the morning.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is for western mountaineering. It was painful for me to spend that much on a sleeping bag a handful of years ago but haven't had a cold night since so no regrets.

I've bought a Thermarest Parsec 0F two or so years ago and I really love it! I have the long version and, interestingly it shares like 98% of the same specs as the Stone Glacier and it's about $100 less. It has an awesome insulated pocket on the inside in the footbox that you can slip your feet into. Super cozy and warm.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I'm in New Zealand and decided to support a US made company and went Western Mountaineering- very happy with my choice.

At 5'6" theres way too much extra room in a Chillkoot- I personally wouldn't bother.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I have the chillkoot 15 deg. Just returned from a trip and I was warm every night. Lowest temp 25 deg. I have tested this bag to 15 and it could go way further if you added your puffy clothes. A zero degree bag might be a bit much if your temps aren’t cold enough and you like to be zipped up. As for the length it’s always nice to have a little room at the bottom to dry your socks, clothes, etc while you sleep. If you have the money sure buy WM custom bag. If not the chillkoot is a good quality bag and has not disappointed me.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Mountain Hardware Bishop Pass 0 and it delivers incredible value. I’m very happy with it. It’s 3lbs 2oz so just barely heavier than the premium bags but is half the price of many bags as it retails for $325 but you should be able to find it for less.

If you really want to save weight look in to 15 degree bags. I run warm personally but I have found bags to be warmer than lots of common knowledge says especially if you sleep in your thermals.

On backpack hunts I usually use the Mountain Hardware Phantom 30 which comes in at 1.3 pounds on my scale. I will take this anywhere I don’t expect below freezing temps.

Your sleeping pad is just as important or more important than the bag.

I can’t even believe I’m looking at spending this much on a sleeping bag. But now that I am looking I really like the feathered friends and western mountaineering also. But what makes them worth $200-$350 more than the stone glacier?
Because they're made in the USA and designed, tested and proven in the most extreme conditions on earth. You won't see a Chilkoot on Everest or K2. I use FF.