Best week to hunt mule deer

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Let's say you have a tag in the Rocky Mountain portions of Montana/Idaho/Wyoming that only allows you to hunt mule deer for 5 days. The catch is, you get to pick any 5 consecutive days between October 10 and December 1 to hunt.

What days are you picking, and why?

Since there is low population of mulies around home, I have little to add to this conversation. But, I have hunted whitetail since I was a kid somewhere in the above range and the 5 days I would pick would be November 14-18. I find that the most big bucks are on their feet during daylight and haven't yet taken to the brush to hide with a doe all day like the will later in November.

Nov 1-5, I’ve usually seen the best bucks chasing in the mountains of Idaho during the 1st week of November and the rut usually seems to be mostly over by the time late archery season opens on the 10th. If I had to pick another week it would be the last week of October before anything later in November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been pretty blessed to be able to hunt rutting mule deer for over 25 years. I spent some time a couple years ago, looking at old (filled) tags. Most, but not all of our mature bucks come from November 16-22.

Early September on pre-scouted summer bucks would be a very close second.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything around 11/10 in north Idaho and nwest Montana, I’ve seen some crazy rut fests around this day and most of my filled tags are within a week of this day.

I'm hoping for the 4th to the 9th for eastern montana. I should of did the following week but I couldn't have at the time I made my reservations(hotel and BMA). I was working w/ another company when I made reservations and had to take those days off to not interfere w/ the boss's montana deer trip.

manitou1

WKR
I’ve been pretty blessed to be able to hunt rutting mule deer for over 25 years. I spent some time a couple years ago, looking at old (filled) tags. Most, but not all of our mature bucks come from November 16-22.

Early September on pre-scouted summer bucks would be a very close second.
This has been my observation too.

jimh406

WKR
Bigger Mule Deer bucks were chasing does today on the opener and have a few days. That being said, I'd avoid the weekends if given 5 days to avoid the people chasing random deer. Someone on my neighbors place shot a very small 2x2 today, for instance. His season is over, and he's out of the woods. I guess he just wants a deer or doesn't have much time to hunt. Today is Saturday, October 26.

There isn't a guarantee on weather, but for this year, I'd go week of October 28th or week of November 4th or 11th. I'm not sure how to translate to the future without knowing when the season opens ... it might be listed, but I didn't look it up.

I'm not in a rush to shoot since I live here. I factor things in like when do I think the processors are busy, how warm it is, so I can hang the deer if needed, etc.