Best week to hunt mule deer

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Let's say you have a tag in the Rocky Mountain portions of Montana/Idaho/Wyoming that only allows you to hunt mule deer for 5 days. The catch is, you get to pick any 5 consecutive days between October 10 and December 1 to hunt.

What days are you picking, and why?

Since there is low population of mulies around home, I have little to add to this conversation. But, I have hunted whitetail since I was a kid somewhere in the above range and the 5 days I would pick would be November 14-18. I find that the most big bucks are on their feet during daylight and haven't yet taken to the brush to hide with a doe all day like the will later in November.

Nov 1-5, I’ve usually seen the best bucks chasing in the mountains of Idaho during the 1st week of November and the rut usually seems to be mostly over by the time late archery season opens on the 10th. If I had to pick another week it would be the last week of October before anything later in November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been pretty blessed to be able to hunt rutting mule deer for over 25 years. I spent some time a couple years ago, looking at old (filled) tags. Most, but not all of our mature bucks come from November 16-22.

Early September on pre-scouted summer bucks would be a very close second.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything around 11/10 in north Idaho and nwest Montana, I’ve seen some crazy rut fests around this day and most of my filled tags are within a week of this day.