Best Value Mid-Layer Upper Piece/Jacket?

Crusader

WKR
Anyone have a recommendation for a good value/reasonably priced mid layer? While I could afford it, I guess I'm an old school guy (read: cheapskate) and I'm generally not a buyer of Kuiu, Sitka, etc., as I just have a hard time spending that kind of money. However, I see Kuiu has their Peloton 240 on sale right now for $99.99, which is a pretty good deal. Was wondering if one of the "lesser" brands might have something good for less $$$?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good value/reasonably priced mid layer? While I could afford it, I guess I'm an old school guy (read: cheapskate) and I'm generally not a buyer of Kuiu, Sitka, etc., as I just have a hard time spending that kind of money. However, I see Kuiu has their Peloton 240 on sale right now for $99.99, which is a pretty good deal. Was wondering if one of the "lesser" brands might have something good for less $$$?

Thanks in advance.
I'd consider the Peloton 240 more of an outer layer (ex: block the wind) than a mid or insulation layer.

May want to look at mid-layers on non-hunting sites such as MooseJaw.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Born primitive has their sale going on and there grid fleece is pretty reasonable, They also have the heavier mid layer full zip as well. beyond clothing makes a grid fleece that is very similar to Stone glaciers probably on sale this weekend. Firstlite Klamath gridfleece is also on sale sub $80 I think,
I’m sure Colombia or similar has something on Moosejaw or Backcountry that will fit your needs (use Active Junky for those as well)

The Under Armor hoodies/sweaters work pretty well.

This time of year you can pick them up for $20-25

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
outdoor research vigor is a nice mid-layer. can usually find them on sale. but i would save my pennies for a sitka ambient or similar. game changer for a midlayer.

I’ll echo Mark’s sentiments on the Condor. I paid $22 for one and it might be one of my favorites (on the shelf along side more expensive brands).

The OR Vigor as someone else mentioned is another great option if you want full-zip with a hood.

I’ve been running a Wiggy’s liner jacket for the past month. Wearing it over a Capilene 1 base layer and under a HPG Windcheater I’m good to about 35F static. Hasn’t been cold enough here yet to test temps while moving, but I overheat above 45 with the above when not sitting. Excellent moisture movement, better than any piece I have with a DWR coating.

It’s no frills and won’t win any beauty contests, but it’s made in the US and ships free for $62.

Shraggs

WKR
Ll bean wool knit commando sweater. I think knit is under rated for warmth and breathability vs merino. Not sure price but I paid 55.

Ll bean wool knit commando sweater. I think knit is under rated for warmth and breathability vs merino. Not sure price but I paid 55.
I have one of these, but with a windproof liner. It’s old school scratchy wool right there, but you’re right they are warm

Honyock

WKR
Watch the classifieds forum. Lots of "like new" stuff at reasonable prices. Sitka Midweight Core and Kuiu Peleton 200 zip tee hoody have worked well for me if you can find some on the classifieds. There's a reason that Sitka and Kuiu are not cheap.

idahodave

WKR
Look up 32degree stuff for the absolute best “value” in hunting/insulating clothes. I have several pieces, and honestly find myself wearing it just as much as my more expensive First Lite stuff.

dave

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
First lite sawtooth is great for what you have described. At some of their sales it has come down to $100 ish.

I wear it as outer layer and as mid layer for variety of conditions. Not necessarily a first lite fan boy, it's just a solid piece of merino and blended with a kinda technical shell material

Stone Glacier helio 1/2 zip. Waffle liner somewhat like what I’ve been issued before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

croben

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks in advance.
I’m a big fan of a hooded grid fleece for my mid layer. Super breathable and great moisture wicking, but still very warm. I have one from Cabelas I’ve had for a long time. I got a new one this year from Canis and love it.