Best value for the dollar game animals and regions to hunt?

Curious where you think the best value hunts are to be had, whether it's a specific game animal here at home or another country abroad, where are the best deals?

My initial thoughts are any African Safari where you can hunt a half dozen plains game (or more) in South Africa for less than the cost of a guided elk hunt at home.

New Zealand also comes to mind in regards to mountain hunting, their Tahr and Chamois mountain hunts has to be some of the cheapest there is.

Hunting many of the Asian countries also presents great value if you are after an Ibex or Marco Polo, especially compared to North American prices.

What other high value hunts have I overlooked?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
In the east you can get OTC tags, take virginia for example. You buy your "big game" tags and that includes whitetail deer, and turkey, bear is like 20 bucks extra. you can kill 3 or 4 deer depending on where your hunting a bear and i think 3 turkeys. Pretty decent for one "out of state" license. and that doesn't even include all the small game you can hunt with your regular hunting license as well. for like 300 bucks or so (don't quote me on that as i haven't bought or looked at nonresident prices in a while) you can literally hunt all year.

I think its the same for most southern and southeastern states, go to georgia and hunt whitetail and hogs, if u have time ducks, qual etc. on same license. probably all year (or while respective seasons are in)

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
As someone out west I have been thinking hard about going out east. Being drawn for deer every 2-3 years is really pissing me off.

I don’t know anyone out there with land, or anything about it… but it’s on the agenda to learn about for next year.

i haven't found a place to hunt pigs with decent odds for low cost, but there are several states where as a nonresident you can kill double digit deer for <$150 a season. i think there might even be some counties in maryland where it is actually unlimited does per year, but getting access in those places is really hard.

In the east you can get OTC tags, take virginia for example. You buy your "big game" tags and that includes whitetail deer, and turkey, bear is like 20 bucks extra. you can kill 3 or 4 deer depending on where your hunting a bear and i think 3 turkeys. Pretty decent for one "out of state" license. and that doesn't even include all the small game you can hunt with your regular hunting license as well. for like 300 bucks or so (don't quote me on that as i haven't bought or looked at nonresident prices in a while) you can literally hunt all year.

I think its the same for most southern and southeastern states, go to georgia and hunt whitetail and hogs, if u have time ducks, qual etc. on same license. probably all year (or while respective seasons are in)

virginia is 2 deer per day, 6 per year, no more than 3 bucks

Samson7x

WKR
Fun per dollar for me is turkey. That's getting more difficult with KS going to draw and 1 bird limit. Turkey numbers here in AR seem to be on the decline. Hope to make it out to TX next year.

wesfromky

WKR
i haven't found a place to hunt pigs with decent odds for low cost, but there are several states where as a nonresident you can kill double digit deer for <$150 a season. i think there might even be some counties in maryland where it is actually unlimited does per year, but getting access in those places is really hard.
Zone one in KY is unlimited does per year.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Africa is by far the best value in hunting right now, especially if you don't bring back taxidermy.
When I was younger I had no desire to go. But once you go, you'll be figuring ways to get back. Just do your research to make sure the properties are good sized for South Africa. As long as the properties are large, I did not feel the fences came into play.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
As someone out west I have been thinking hard about going out east. Being drawn for deer every 2-3 years is really pissing me off.

I don’t know anyone out there with land, or anything about it… but it’s on the agenda to learn about for next year.
If your interested in virginia or west virginia, reach out to me when you start your research I will help you all that I can