Best upland bird vest?

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using a Final Rise vest this year and I really like it, so far. I’ve hunted a couple of weekend and an extended trip so far. My only comparison is a standard vest and I can already appreciate the difference with a well-made strap vest. The Final Rise is very well made, and it feels like it is worth the price. The materials are sturdy. The stitching is perfect and reinforced where necessary.

I love the way it carries weight. I can carry extra water for me and for the dogs. I added pouches so that I have places to store extra equipment I tend to have a lot of junk in my pockets. Orange handkerchief for marking downed birds, windocator bottle, headlamp, lightweight leash, vetwrap, etc. I like being able to organize the stuff in separate pockets. Carrying all of that stuff in a standard vest just made the vest puff up and get uncomfortable.

I love the dump pouch. It easily holds a box of shells. I always reload with my right hand, so I keep a box of shells on my right side. This is huge improvement over shell loops.

Most of all, I love that it is made here in the USA by people who are genuinely interested in the customer experience. They were very quick to fill my orders (I’m a repeat customer) and they are very quick to answer questions.

Do the pockets have shell loops? Or are shells just lose?
Thanks

twall13

WKR
I just did. Should be here Friday, and if so I'll be taking it out this weekend. I'll report back on Monday
I'd love to hear your thoughts after you get some time with it. I love the idea of how modular it is but I worry a little about the thickness of the shoulder harness when shooting. Probably not a huge deal but it looks much thicker than my Wingworks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Man, that’s a bummer. I must be the off one though. That is so nice having shell loops but seems like none of the better brand vests have them. Wonder why..

thank you
Having used vests with shell loops and now the Wingworks without I much prefer not having the loops. The shell Loops wear out over time and I find I have fewer lost shells without them and it's actually quicker to reload without fumbling for individual shells in the loops. Not to mention shell loops don't work equally well for every caliber and I'm not always using a 12 gauge depending on what I'm hunting. Of course it's a personal preference but I wouldn't let that be a deterring factor.

If you are dead set on shell loops, many of these high end vests use molle attachments and you could probably either buy or have an attachment made with shell loops if it's a must have. Hunt Redi has an attachment option with shell loops. Final Rise, Pyke, Chief Upland and Marsupial also use Molle/Pals attachments so you could absolutely come up with something to work with the vest of your choice if you need shell loops.

@pods8 could make something with shell loops that would work if you can't find other options, he does great work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
Wingworks was taking orders again briefly this summer...if that is on the list, I'd shoot him an email or text and ask to be put on the waiting list. They had a 1 day window back in June for orders and the email notice was the only way you'd have known.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Having used vests with shell loops and now the Wingworks without I much prefer not having the loops.

That was exactly my experience with no loops.

I really thought I would miss shell loops. I prefer the dump pocket now, because I can dump a whole box in there and go on a walk all day long.

Honestly, loops are usually limited to about 6 shells per side. With the way I shoot and 3 & 4 birds limits, I could use a couple more shells

slowyota

FNG
After using a badlands pack for year to the point that it was falling a part. I pulled the trigger on Chief Upland too. I'm excited to use it - the modular system is better than what I could configure with Badlands and the bird loading system looks way better.

I'll be getting some good use out of it this fall and can report back - but so far it's a really well built vest especially for the price.

Mosby

WKR
My favorite vest is a Pella. Like a lot of great products, they don't make them anymore. If I was buying a new vest it would probably be an Orvis.

Attachments

• 1633662536037.png
    1633662536037.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 31

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Best bird vest is my old Remington I’ve had since high school. Lots of birds have taken a ride in the back of that thing. It’s a junker but I still wear it from time to time. The final rise is pretty dang nice though. It will be my next vest.

hwy1strat

WKR
I got my Marsupial gear setup. I really like the belt design but the shoulder straps aren't my favorite. They are pretty bulky and get in the way. That being said that belt is so comfortable that I don't even wear the shoulder straps. As I get more time with it, I'll write a better review of the entire thing and post some photos

Tradchef

WKR
What vest would you suggest for someone that doesn’t run dogs and doesn’t bring the kitchen sink. Just enough for ammo, light snacks, water and dead birds? I have an old Cabelas vest that I picked up in Sidney 20 years ago. Still going strong but I want an upgrade.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
What vest would you suggest for someone that doesn’t run dogs and doesn’t bring the kitchen sink. Just enough for ammo, light snacks, water and dead birds? I have an old Cabelas vest that I picked up in Sidney 20 years ago. Still going strong but I want an upgrade.

I also have a couple of the Cabela’s old vests. The cool mesh and the standard. I like them both for hunting close to the truck.

If you want to upgrade to a new style, like a strap vest, you might consider the Final Rise Legacy Vest. It doesn’t have all of the extra pockets. Just the basics.

Tradchef

WKR
I also have a couple of the Cabela’s old vests. The cool mesh and the standard. I like them both for hunting close to the truck.

If you want to upgrade to a new style, like a strap vest, you might consider the Final Rise Legacy Vest. It doesn’t have all of the extra pockets. Just the basics.
Yeah man....I still have a few of the USA made cabelas garments I still use to this day from back then. I’ll check it out. That all I want or would be looking for is a basic design