Best ultralight sleeping bag value

Any advice on the cheapest lightest (rocky mountains) archery season sleeping bag? I have a winter North face that must weigh 3 1/2 lbs and want something smaller. Like a western mountaineering but I can't afford that.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Zpacks 30* quilt and an Enlightened Equipment 20* quilt. Both are great quality. For your intended use I prefer a quilt over a bag myself. I think the EE is hard to beat for the price and features. I haven't used every quilt and/or bag on the market so I won't say they are the best, just that I haven't had a single complaint with it myself.

What is your budget?

OP
G
I have a Zpacks 30* quilt and an Enlightened Equipment 20* quilt. Both are great quality. For your intended use I prefer a quilt over a bag myself. I think the EE is hard to beat for the price and features. I haven't used every quilt and/or bag on the market so I won't say they are the best, just that I haven't had a single complaint with it myself.

What is your budget?
$200 range hopefully

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
the new kelty cosmics have dri down now and are under 200 for a 20 degree there 550 fill so not the lightest

duchntr

WKR
"Cheapest and lightest"... sounds like a unicorn to me. Seriously though the two don't go hand in hand when buying quality equipment. If $200 is your limit look to the classified section and you MIGHT be able to find a used EE quilt or something similar.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like it's out of stock but I bought a stoic somnus from backcountry, was ok for the price, kept me plenty toasty and quality is good although I haven't used it that much to be fair. 30 degree and weighs right around 20oz, 850 fill and I paid 169 or so on sale.

DaveC

WKR
Enlightened Equipment. No better value. Anything cheaper and you'll be looking at a major hit in weight, warmth, quality or a combination.

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
To the original poster - search ebay for enlightened equipment and also feathered friends. Four hits right now, worth looking at...

gmajor

WKR
Enlightened Equipment Prodigy hands down. Sub 2lbs, $205 new for a 20degree quilt that will be super versatile. I love it but I prefer a synthetic bag/quilt.

OP
G
The Enlightened Equipment quilts look pretty sweet. Do you recommend a Long or Regular? I am 5'10". I just checked and my current bag is 3lbs 8oz. Good for horse camping...

dotman

WKR
Just remember if you get a quilt to also add in the cost of a quality air pad.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

The same applies to a mummy bag. The bottom side of your bag compresses and you don't get nearly the warmth from it that you would otherwise. That is why I have seen guys swear their bag isn't true to rating and then they switch to a warmer pad and all the sudden their bag is plenty warm.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Enlightened Equipment quilts look pretty sweet. Do you recommend a Long or Regular? I am 5'10". I just checked and my current bag is 3lbs 8oz. Good for horse camping...

I'm 5' 10", 175 lbs and use the standard length and width normally. My EE quilt is a standard/ wide though because I bought it used. I would contact Tim at EE and see what he recommends for you.

OP
G
As far as the pad, I do have a thermarest pro lite plus I use backpacking. Think that's sufficient?

gmajor

WKR

Well, for archery season I'm not so sure this is a must. I've been running my quilt with an old zlite for awhile now! I do want a warmer pad, but not until October+...