Best UL Bivy paired with Seek Outside DST

RSC12

FNG
Ok so I'm trying to narrow down a new lightweight sleep system for spring and early fall. I live in BC but would only plan on using this for more moderate conditions. I am looking to buy the Seek Outside DST tarp to carry in my pack as a glassing/rain tarp already and am wondering if it makes sense to get a small Bivy which would then allow me to use it as more of a sleep shelter as well. I'd want a bivy more for tick and ground sheet protection so it could be primarily mesh but would be nice to have a small bathtub floor. Not sure if its worth getting one that hangs high and has a larger door like a nest or more mummy style.

I've looked at Borah gear, MLD, Outdoor Reseach, Sea to Summit and a few others but don't really know anything about set up or how a small bivy would pair with a tarp. I'm not sure about how you would integrate them or if they would be independent and have separate guy lines etc. I was even wondering if the LBO Nest from Seek Outside would somehow pair by attaching to the inside trekking pole on the DST when its set up in a diamond configuration.

Anyways let me know if I am off base with this thought and I'll go back to researching lightweight tents such as the Eolus, BA Copper Spur and SMD Deschutes bundle and just carry a small tarp separate for a glassing shelter.

Any pics that someone might have showing a bivy under their tarp setup would be awesome and appreciated. For reference I'm 6'2" and about 210lbs.

Thanks

Drenalin

WKR
Based on all the reviews here, I got the Borah bivy. I'm using it with my Silex, but you can also get a dedicated nest from Seek Outside for the Silex. The Borah bivy sets up more or less independent of the Silex. I haven't used the whole system a ton, but so far I really like it and it's extremely lightweight. The DST is going to be more versatile, but after looking at both options a lot, I decided on the Silex. I don't know that I'd want to glass out of it, but people probably do and you could make it work. For quick weather protection (sets up in seconds) and a roomy lightweight shelter, it is excellent.

j33

WKR
The tarp is 19.5oz with the stuff sack, Silex is about the same weight with full enclosure so why not go that route instead? I bought the borah bivy to go with a lightweight tarp like a Kifaru sheep tarp which is half the weight as the DST.

I just got a wide/long Borah bivy, may not use it this year so might sell it so if you're interested let me know I'm just East of you.

Beckjhong

WKR
The tarp is 19.5oz with the stuff sack, Silex is about the same weight with full enclosure so why not go that route instead? I bought the borah bivy to go with a lightweight tarp like a Kifaru sheep tarp which is half the weight as the DST.

I just got a wide/long Borah bivy, may not use it this year so might sell it so if you're interested let me know I'm just East of you.

Sheep tarp and Borah bivy is a legit combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gfreidy

WKR
I have used a DST as a shelter for three years. Used it in all kinds of conditions. I pair mine with the EE Recon bivy. Works slick. It does a few things for me. 1) splash protection on sides and foot 2) great bug net 3) since I use a quilt it helps to hold my sleep system together.

gfreidy

WKR
Silex would be tempting! But it wasn’t available when I got the DST. I have also found the DST to be very versatile and easily accommodate two folks. DD12A433-1430-4380-A71C-AAD1A72AA528.jpeg

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm tempted by all options haha. I think I just need to search some more and see if a tarp and bivy would actually work for me or if I need an actual shelter. Does anyone have pics of a silex or similar used as a glassing setup. I could imagine carrying a silex in my pack all the time if it could serve a couple purposes and then just pack a bivy or nest for times I'm actually planning on staying out. Otherwise the idea of carrying a smaller tarp like the Sheep tarp seems to a nice idea. I just keep falling into the trap of 2 foot'itis and next thing you know I'm carrying a Cimmaron all day just in case ;)

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
Which Bora bivy are you all referring to? I am in the same boat as the OP and already have the Kifaru sheep tarp so adding bivy would be simple. Thanks!

Phaseolus

WKR
Borah will customize a bivy for you, I had a longer side zipper added for pennies. It makes it much easier to enter and exit.

DRock1986

FNG
Outdoor Research helium is a solid choice that I would recommend.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Another vote for Borah. If you want something larger just email your request. My Bug bivy is 82” at the shoulder 70” at the foot. Long. Weighs 6.5 oz.

I got the Borah Bug bivy for this purpose though I kind of wish I did the EE Recon instead for the wind and splash protection it has at the ends. It is more expensive.

That said, instead of using a flat tarp, I got a Warbonnet Ground tarp. It’s kind of hybrid. You can use it with many of the same pitches as a flat tarp for glassing or as a sun shade but it also has doors so you can close it off from the wind and rain like a tent. It weighs 17-18 ounces and the Silpoly version packs down very small.

I’ve got a Borah Gear eVent bivy and UL bivy with Argon 67. Both customized with center zips to match my Kifaru Slick Bag. Oversized with extra room for clothes and gear if needed. Excellent purchase and would do so again if needed.

gfreidy

WKR
I might be wrong, but when I was on the EE site it looks like they have discontinued their bivys. Nothing makes you want something like it being discontinued!

I might be wrong, but when I was on the EE site it looks like they have discontinued their bivys. Nothing makes you want something like it being discontinued!

Interesting. It is a slick setup paired with a tarp. Full waterproof protection on bottom, foot box and head but plenty of mesh on top for ventilation. Takes a nasty storm to get you wet in that setup.