Best tent for Alaska sheep hunt

jpengel

FNG
I own a X-mid2 Solid. Initially considered it for sheep hunting due to weight, two door two vestibules, snow shedding and possible wind shedding design.

Also considered the pro, however at the time I thought the cost, single wall / condensation risk, and potential durability with the DCF were reasons to buy the solid.

I have used the x-mid on scouting trips early season, and a buddy used it this fall as a solo tent on a three day 3 person hunt. But, I have always opted for a different tent when it came to long duration sheep hunts for a few reasons:
- Vestibule - (not an issue for single person, but info may help someone) Typically share a tent on 2 man sheep hunts, and the vestibule space / shape is a little small and crammed for 5-10 days and all the gear for two people.
- Weather unknowns - i've pitched in the yard and left it up in high winds and it does well, but for some reason can't bring myself to trust it on long duration deep backcountry hunts where weather is unpredictable
- Pitching - x-mid is pretty finicky tent to pitch. If the surface is not flat and tent pitched in a true square you can have slack in the tent which can impact wind shedding, and contact with inner and outer tents if not using the pro. Also its a trekking pole tent, so if you are going minimalist and use your poles to pitch, you have to take down the tent every day. Or you bring stand alone poles that add weight and bulk (as opposed to just one for a tipi)

As a single person tent the x-mid is a palace, but the pitch can still be an issue to manage. I will most likely be looking at single pole tipi tent designs in the future if i go away from a freestanding tent.

X-mid2 in sheep country:

IMG_2776.JPG

As for the thread title, my vote for the 'best tent for Alaska sheep hunt' in the 2 man tent category is the SG Skyscraper 2.