Best Stove

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Luna 6 floorless tent for hunting and I am thinking about maybe buying a wood stove to use in it later on. Which is the best wood stove on the market? I was looking at Seek Outside SXL Box stove and kind of liked that design. I like the box style because you could cook on top of it very easy. I have never used one (of any kind or shape) so I know nothing about them and I would only like to purchase one time. How long of a burn time can you expect a stove like the SXL to burn? Thanks in advance for any info/help.

colonel00

WKR
I think you will get a lot of answers as many people like stoves for different reasons. Some things to consider:

How small does it break down to for packing?

How much cooking on the stove will you really be doing? I've never cooked on one but my understanding is the heat transfer isn't always the greatest and you will go through a lot of wood.

Where will you be using it and what will the available wood source be like? Are you chopping trees and splitting wood or just burning 1-2" limbs? This will affect your burn times greatly.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
`The stove needs to be lightweight and packable. I would use it mostly for moose/caribou hunting (September-November). Wood wouldn't be a issue most places I would use the stove. Cooking on the stove would be a bonus and if it didn't work out then that's ok. I have a multi-fuel burning stove that I use in my 10-man arctic tent (canvas) and we cook on it quiet a bit. As far as building my own, there is no where to buy the materials here in Fairbanks to build a nice lightweight stove and shipping prices are crazy. I love building my own stuff but I think I would be better off in the long run to just buy a good one. Thanks for all the info and keep it coming.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you can prep wood you can get a pretty long burn on the SXL. If you are just burning little sticks a smaller stove is a better choice to save some weight. With a good strong fire they cook pretty fast bringing cold water to a boil in a GSI kettle in 5 to 7. Some of it depends on the kettle or pot used but the standard titanium or anodized alum do well

Take-a-knee

Banned
A light shelter like a Luna 6 should be paired with a cylinder stove, IMO, and the best one out there is EdT's version. The TiGoat WiFi looks cool but I've not actually seen or used it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have found cooking on a lightweight woodstove (mainly boiling water) more trouble than its worth. The extra 1 pound to boil water quick for 5-6 days for 2 guys with a small iso stove and fuel is more than worth it and the weight difference between a box and cylinder stove nearly makes up the difference right there. I just want a wood stove for heat not for cooking too personally. Which is why Kifaru came out with their slick version of a cylinder stove as well. Weights are less and generally are faster to build.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
Also, I forgot to mention the stove would only be used on fly-in/float hunts. I probably wouldn't be packing it much on my back so the little extra weight is not a deal breaker and again cooking would just be a bonus.

Kevin,

What makes the SXL lighter then the Medium or Large stove. Would the SXL be to big for my Luna 6?

LaGriz

WKR
Kevin,
Being that you say you will not often pack it far (fly-in and float hunts mostly) I would go with the HPG Sheppard stove and a Roll up Titanium Pipe. They also have a Kifaru Med-oval stove in the classified ads that might work out.
I have the Ti-Goat large Wifi that is both smaller to pack and lighter - well made unit , as yet untested with only a burn in to date. I do think the HPG stove would give you good service, better burn time, can burn larger wood, and I like that the parts are all attached and not loose. In the mode you would use it in, It seems to me a better fit. I would even consider a smaller version of the Titanium 4 dog for this application, if you had a larger tent. They are non-collapsing but light weight, air tight, and long burning compaired to the take down models you discussed.

LaGrizView attachment 26835

Last edited:
Just ordered a lite outdoors 18" for my luna 6. Not here yet so can't speak to it. Should have it in a few days.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a custom stove made out of toilet paper roll holder. 5 inch diameter 14 inches long. Had Ed put some legs on it and hinge for the door. Was a great investment. Now I got an easy to use rock solid stove that takes 2 minutes to deploy. I do want a HPG for my Kodiak. I plan to throw a stove jack in it.

Here is mine. Don't have much to compare it to, but burns hot and the damping system works well. I like the door setup too. Only one burn on it, but so far so good.
uploadfromtaptalk1438528082663.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1438528056232.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1438528016779.jpg

Oh, be aware that they are made in Canada, so shipping with be about $25 or so via canadian post.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks sodaksooner. I emailed Brennen about the size of hte opening on the XL and he sent back a couple of pics of an updated door design with integrated "carb" that looks great. He said all XL are now shipping with it. One concern I have with this unit is the lack of a spark arrestor. Think one could be retrofitted?

You can get them from TI goat for a 3" pipe. $10 plus shipping. I would assume it is close to the right size. That said, i don't have one...yet. Might just try and get some metal screen material and shape it to fit. Shouldn't be hard to do.