Best state for a color phase bear

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Awesome thank you I will keep that in mine. I’m just trying to plan ahead a bit.

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of color phase bear in Washington. Probably close to half i see are not black. Usually see 20-30 bear a year

From what I've observed over the years in color phase, I'd consider these states in this order;
NM
AZ
CO
CA
UT
WA
ID

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot eleven bears in Idaho, five black and six ranging from very blonde to dark chocolate. I would say close to fifty percent are color phase in the areas I hunt. Similar numbers in eastern WA and western MT.

I'd say Nevada, but good luck getting a tag.

Hunting all color phase bears in California. There's a lower density, but the more arid east slope and crest of the sierras holds a lot of color phase bears. The only black one I've seen in recent years was at a garbage can in the Tahoe basin.

I’ve killed several black bears. I’ve always wanted to take a color phase (cinnamon bear). What is the best state to accomplish that in. It looks as if Colorado offers a good chance
NE Oregon has probably 60-70% color phase bears, and it's freaking awesome country to hunt (wenaha in particular)

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
Only place I have much experience with bears in is California, and I am 2 for 3 being cinnamon bears. The B zones have piles of them and a good percentage are color phase. Highest numbers I am aware of are in Mendocino National Forest and taking out bears is key to helping the deer herd improve there!

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
All great info. I’m hoping to do a combo elk for my boy and bear for me in the near future

In all my years living in CO, I've never seen an actual black bear... Every bear I've seen has been color phase. This was during my archery-3rd season rifle hunts

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Looks like California seems to be the a color phase hot spot