Best Spotting Scope Under $700

Jjustus16

FNG
Most of the fieldscopes and eyepieces I've bought were on eBay, from Japanese sellers. I'm talking about the original made in Japan fieldscopes, not the current versions. Here's one for $680 with IMO the best eyepiece.

Late reply, but this is a super useful thread.

I was narrowed down to an ares or maven and I’m giving thought to these old Nikon field scopes because of the reviews and how cheap they can be found (looking at the 60 and 82’s on eBay from 250-450.) The hype is real??

Jjustus16

FNG
Nikon ed50 with a fixed eyepiece

its been extremely popular for decades for a reason and you can get them for way less then your budget if you buy it from a Japanese dealer
Are you talking about the old ones also? I’m seeing them for about 250 on eBay (can also find the 60’s for about the same price.) New ones are running about 500-600 US

Jjustus16

FNG
For that price, that Maven S2 has far superior glass to the Razor, Ares, CS1.

Glass quality > Magnification

That ED50 is a fantastic little scope also, but struggles at max magnification, where I felt the S2 did not. Very comfortable viewing experience.
Old ED 50’s or strictly the new ones? You guys are making me think long and hard about an ares or CS1

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
I've said it a dozen or more times on here, but my $750 Nikon ED82 leaves nothing to be desired, and I have had it side by side with the Kowa 880. The Nikon ED fieldscopes with fixed power eyepieces are "alpha" all the way.
Best kept secret there is. I’d look for a gently used EDIII 60 if I was in your shoes. Some thing like this. (Not mine, just an example).

The ED82 is an awesome scope also.

Jjustus16

FNG
Best kept secret there is. I’d look for a gently used EDIII 60 if I was in your shoes. Some thing like this. (Not mine, just an example).

The ED82 is an awesome scope also.
Is there a big jump from the ED II series to the ED III series? The ED II’s are far more common on eBay.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
The ED III included full multi-coating of all surfaces, waterproofing, a slide-out lens hood, and a somewhat, overall, more modern look.

4th_point

WKR
If I recall correctly, the straight body EDIII is about 1/4 pound lighter than the angled, if that matters to anyone.

4th_point

WKR
I've owned a couple each of the ED82 and EDIII. They are both amazing scopes for the money as long as you are OK with the limitations.

The 82 is obviously brighter but I compared the 60mm with the 30x/38x fixed wide to the 82 with MCII zoom at ~30x and the EDIII really gave up nothing until the very last minutes of light. The EDIII with that EP is 30x.

I was really surprised. Those scopes with fixed eyepieces are extremely good. Of course the 82 would have been even better with the fixed EP too.

schmalzy

WKR
Vanguard Endeavour is extremely tough to beat for the money for my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4th_point

WKR
One last thing, if you find a good deal on a EDIII I would jump on it even if you don't think that the EP is ideal. You can always buy, sell, or trade EPs.

And too many people dismiss fixed eyepieces when they really have no practical experience with them. A fixed 30x has a wider FOV and is much more user friendly than a zoom at 20x. Want to get as close to a premium class view but on a budget? Fieldscope with fixed eyepieces are extremely good.

Remember that zoom eyepieces make the image bigger but don't improve the resolution from the scope body.

There are deals out there. I found an angled EDIII for a friend that was $275 shipped. For whatever reason he got cold feet.

You really can't lose on a deal like that! Don't like it, just flip it. There are people who really appreciate these scopes and know what they are capable of.

Jjustus16

FNG
One last thing, if you find a good deal on a EDIII I would jump on it even if you don't think that the EP is ideal. You can always buy, sell, or trade EPs.

And too many people dismiss fixed eyepieces when they really have no practical experience with them. A fixed 30x has a wider FOV and is much more user friendly than a zoom at 20x. Want to get as close to a premium class view but on a budget? Fieldscope with fixed eyepieces are extremely good.

Remember that zoom eyepieces make the image bigger but don't improve the resolution from the scope body.

There are deals out there. I found an angled EDIII for a friend that was $275 shipped. For whatever reason he got cold feet.

You really can't lose on a deal like that! Don't like it, just flip it. There are people who really appreciate these scopes and know what they are capable of.
Should I hold out then? I’ve seen a few of the ED III 60’s with the 24x W eyepiece for just shy of 500. Was really hoping to find one in the 350 range, but I don’t know if that’s reasonable.

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
Should I hold out then? I’ve seen a few of the ED III 60’s with the 24x W eyepiece for just shy of 500. Was really hoping to find one in the 350 range, but I don’t know if that’s reasonable.
It's definitely not out of the question, but I would expect to pay around $425.

4th_point

WKR
Sorry, I can't answer that for you. You might be waiting a really long time or might luck into something quick.

I think $275 was a rare deal and anywhere between $300 and $600 is reasonable depending on EP(s), accessories, condition, etc. In hindsight, I should have bought that one for $275 and kept it for myself!

Okay, just read this whole thread and now I’m intrigued about the Fieldscope.

I own a Gen 1 razor 85mm and 50mm and I’ve actually been very impressed. 85 is Currently only $750 at sportsmen’s if anyone is interested.

Perhaps a 60mm class scope is in my future. The 50 is too small and I’m moving on from that size. Does anyone have experience with both the ed60 or 82 and the razor 65 or 85 next to each other or extensive experience with both on their own?

I run 15x meoptas on a tripod of most of my glassing so a 20x fixed on the 60mm field scope isn’t that appealing. I’d be more interested in a zoom eye piece

Jjustus16

FNG
Okay, just read this whole thread and now I’m intrigued about the Fieldscope.

I own a Gen 1 razor 85mm and 50mm and I’ve actually been very impressed. 85 is Currently only $750 at sportsmen’s if anyone is interested.

Perhaps a 60mm class scope is in my future. The 50 is too small and I’m moving on from that size. Does anyone have experience with both the ed60 or 82 and the razor 65 or 85 next to each other or extensive experience with both on their own?

I run 15x meoptas on a tripod of most of my glassing so a 20x fixed on the 60mm field scope isn’t that appealing. I’d be more interested in a zoom eye piece
I’m definitely no expert but most guys (other than @OspreyZB) are saying that the fixed eyepieces are what really make this scope shine.