Best sleeping bag under $100?

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
i am looking for a new sleeping bag that will be a good cheap backpacking sleeping bag. 20 deg is probably good because i roast in my 0 deg. looking at cheap ones because i will using it under a tarp for spiking out. been looking at the slumberjack Ronin 20. i am 6' 2" 240 pounds.. any suggestions?

I'd guess the only bag you'll find for backpacking that's 20 degrees would be a used down bag assuming you want something lightweight.

Moe.JKU

FNG
Hotcore has some decent bags for that price. Its what i'm using at the moment, only one year into backpack hunting, and i couldn't spend a tonne of money. This fit my budget

Browtine

WKR
I'd save a few more pennies and up your budget a little. You can get a TNF Cat's Meow for $150. It's a solid 20deg syn bag for the price. Might be able to find a used one on Ebay for around 1 bill.

jmez

WKR
Look at Eureka bags. I've used a Siver City 30 degree bag for several years and it's worked well. Paid $65 for it on sale. They make some 20 degree backpacking models.

charvey9

WKR
I would not get the Cat's Meow from North Face. I had one for a few years and survived, but in testing it is one of the lowest warmth to weight ratios. Its more like a 30 degree bag. Kelty has some decent bags, that you can usually find on sale. I keep a Kelty Cosmic 0 degree bag in my vehicles as a back-up/emergency bag and for camping out of the car. I paid $80 for it on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse a few years ago.

Check out the reviews on outdoorgearlab.com for a bunch of side-by-side comparisons.

mt100gr.

WKR
FWIW, my new last year Cat's Meow 20degree is every bit a 20 degree bag. I was warm some nights last fall that I was sure would be miserable.

charvey9

WKR
FWIW, my new last year Cat's Meow 20degree is every bit a 20 degree bag. I was warm some nights last fall that I was sure would be miserable.

I'm not saying it is garbage, and would have said good things about the bag a few years ago also. It was my first decent backpacking bag and did not have much to compare it to. However, if value is the goal, I think there are better options out there. It would be a decent bag for $100, but you are paying extra for the TNF logo. I know they updated it in 2014, but the fill material is still the same. They just made it more durable (aka heavier).

Its good marketing and a great seller, since there are not many other backpacking bags in that mid price range between camp bags and high end backpacking bags. I fell for it and bought one. I just assumed I was a "cold sleeper" and had to sleep with all my clothes on when temps dipped into the 20's. When I started looking for a replacement bag to reduce my pack weight, I came across a lot of other reviews for the Cat's Meow with similar results of not living up to the 20 degree rating. Last year I stepped up to a Zpacks 20 degree bag and could not believe the difference.

Not trying to bash anyone's gear, just giving my first hand experience with the bag and my opinion on the value.

mt100gr.

WKR
No worries here. I just wanted to relay my experience as well. And yes, if someone tracked one down for 100$, I would say it would be a good value.

jm1607

WKR
Army patrol bags cost nothing and are light!

About $20, rated at 30-50 degrees

Last edited: