Best Semi-Recent Tundra Years?

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys,

Starting to get into the market for a used Tundra, would like to buy one in the next 6-12 months or so. Don't like the looks of the new ones and don't want anything turbocharged. From a reliability standpoint, in Consumer Reports ratings it looks like 2015 and 2020 are better years, maybe 2018 as well.

For those of you who have Tundras in those years (or maybe any year from 2015 until 2021), have you had any particular problems/issues? Are there any known problem years to stay away from? Would appreciate any real-world input and recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

big44a4

WKR
I’ve had a 17,18, and 2020. Pushing 160k miles on my 2020 with no issues. Others only made it 80k miles before I traded them. Not a fan technology wise and all the plastic but so far no complaints on reliability and no issues. I’ll likely get another one in a few years when I need to for work, but not a fan of the hybrid/V6 route they are going so we’ll see.

I have a 2017 TRD Pro. 112,000 miles on it. Last month I had to buy a front turn signal bulb. That is the only thing so far I had to replace.
Don’t expect great fuel economy with it. On a good day I get 16 mpg.

Maverick1

WKR
Hey guys,

Starting to get into the market for a used Tundra, would like to buy one in the next 6-12 months or so. Don't like the looks of the new ones and don't want anything turbocharged. From a reliability standpoint, in Consumer Reports ratings it looks like 2015 and 2020 are better years, maybe 2018 as well.

For those of you who have Tundras in those years (or maybe any year from 2015 until 2021), have you had any particular problems/issues? Are there any known problem years to stay away from? Would appreciate any real-world input and recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Dashboard Light - Tundra

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
I’ve had a 17,18, and 2020. Pushing 160k miles on my 2020 with no issues. Others only made it 80k miles before I traded them. Not a fan technology wise and all the plastic but so far no complaints on reliability and no issues. I’ll likely get another one in a few years when I need to for work, but not a fan of the hybrid/V6 route they are going so we’ll see.
Wow, 160k on a 3-year old truck, that's a lot of miles!
Curious, did you trade the others at 80k just because you wanted newer or was there another reason?

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
2016 TRD Pro with midhigh Camper Shell and 295/70r18s(34.3"), 100k miles. Mostly hauling trailers across the country to hunting Camp, and some boat hauling in the summers. No Issues. She does likes Gas!!! 10-13mpg

Attachments

• 2023-03-01_12-28-26_403.jpeg
    2023-03-01_12-28-26_403.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 64

ODB

WKR
2021. Biggest issue so far was figuring out that clunk that happens at 8 mph every time you start out for a drive. It’s the damn ABS brake system self-test.

There I saved you several days of worry…

Only 21k miles and I expect to drive it 20+ years like I (and now my kid) did my 2002.

Added: I will say I’d like to strangle the ‘engineer’ that replaced the three knob climate control with the push button abomination.

FEENIX

FNG
I have the 2011 and still going strong at ~96K.

M2S e-bike 1 of 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ODB
This is interesting. I was researching Ford 150 Tremor. Such a different thread. I found so many complaints about the 10-speed V6. Can't repair. Ford denies issues. Lawsuit against them. Trucks in shops for weeks. One poor guy had a Tremor for 1-2 years, I believe, in the shop multiple times different issues for 3 weeks. I did test drive one and the they are technologically way more advanced than Toyota. But if it's not reliable I don't care. In the end I couldn't pull the trigger. Hard time trusting Ford.

Nice to read this thread. Toyota makes reliable trucks. Probably end up with a new Tundra next year. Toyota is getting any issues worked out in a hurry. Lots of happy owners. More complaints about wind noise in the 2022 model and center console rattle. Very few mechanical issues. Still not against getting an older one with low miles.

The newer ones if done right look good. Wasn't a fan at first but I'm getting used to the look. Even if she ain't the prettiest truck I'll take reliability any day. Stock Tundras never look IMO. Keeping a close watch on reliability which will determine if I get 2024 or an 18-21 year version.

Pramo

WKR
I did think of one thing I had to "fix" the chrome rings around the AC vents would blind me when the sun hit them just right. I bought these silly rings in matte black to get rid of the problem

TheViking

WKR
I have a '19 w/ 75k miles, it has been flawless (knock on wood). I'll have it paid off here in a few months and I'm hoping to keep it for another 10 years. Going to add a commuter car to my fleet next spring so I can keep the miles off the Tundra.

Only knock on the Tundra is it likes to eat gas. Some of the newer trucks are up around the 20 mpg mark, where my Tundra is low teens (computer says 13.7 mpg average right now). I do have a small lift and upsize tires, but nothing crazy.

big44a4

WKR
Wow, 160k on a 3-year old truck, that's a lot of miles!
Curious, did you trade the others at 80k just because you wanted newer or was there another reason?

That’s with Covid being at home for 7+ months in those 3 years.

Yes traded just for work as I got a new truck each time with little to no increase in my payment. Last one my payment went up $18 to go from 80k miles to 0. The dealerships keep trying to buy mine now but new ones have went way up in price so I couldn’t do the same this time around or I’d have a new one. Same truck each time SR5 crewmax 4x4 nothing fancy.