Best rifle setup for 10yr old?

Not to sidetrack the thread but it was insane. With her being so small it was VERY hard to keep tabs on her. Best Rokslide Classifieds section score ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will agree. That stuff really works.
I also like your rifle set up. One of my students’ dad set him up with that single shot in 7mm-08 and his reasoning was all about safety. Makes perfect sense.
I got a good deal on a ruger American so I went that route, but I’m searching for the single shot T/C.

howl

WKR
How big is she? Mine 9yo will be ten in March. She's over 5' and growing so fast I don't see how to manage without an adjustable stock. That means AR to me.

I don't think weight is a big deal if you teach shooting from a rested aim. Just don't make it too long as getting the weight out from the body makes it hard for people with limited upper body strength to move a rifle around. An 8# gun is fine if it is short.

How far would you shoot an elk with a 6.5CM? Somewhere at the end of that range you're in 6.5 Grendel territory. Is her maximum range short enough to match the end of the range at which a 6.5CM is good for elk?

If going above 6.5G, .250 Savage, .30/30 case capacity, a suppressor to reduce recoil seems necessary. (I wouldn't put a kid up against the blast of a muzzle brake on a bet.)

Tell, ya what. Since you didn't mention budget you must be loaded. Just get an integrally suppressed carbon fiber AR-15 in 25 WSSM. Run 120gr mono bullets at full speed. No problem.

JTHeaney

FNG
Awesome thread, thanks OP. I’ve thought a lot about this now I have my 1&2 YOs. After taking my nephews this weekend, who are both pretty well city kids out to the lease, I will 2nd the post about suppressing the rifles. I let them have the choice of my naked 243 or 300wm with a trash panda on it, and they each shot a box through the 300 for fun along with taking 2 deer each. That can makes the whole experience more enjoyable for everyone around, and makes it the “cool” gun too.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
aS86pGz.jpg

Barrel from Match Grade Machine chambered in 7-08. The whole gun is 34" long and just over 6 lbs.

It works good for my 10 year old :cool:

eY7O35y.jpg

I should note that the .270 WIN I had her using (8-9 years old) worked well but it was too big for her to position very well so I built that 7-08. She was just as deadly with the .270 though.

3kuEpZh.jpg

xVoD2gi.jpg
What length barrel on the pro hunter? I like that set up.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
What length barrel on the pro hunter? I like that set up.

Barrel is cut to 20”. I’m going to order another barrel this spring in a small fast caliber. Haven’t decided quite which one I want. I love the T/C setup though, it doesn’t stick out of my pack at all when the bag is fully expanded.

f69a5f2c1fdd73b5ec9be216329235ac.jpg

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Barrel is cut to 20”. I’m going to order another barrel this spring in a small fast caliber. Haven’t decided quite which one I want. I love the T/C setup though, it doesn’t stick out of my pack at all when the bag is fully expanded.

f69a5f2c1fdd73b5ec9be216329235ac.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I also have the pro hunter in 300 WM. I would like to get a short 223 barrel with a 1 in 8 twist to get my daughter started shooting centerfire. I got a CVA Scout in 243 already and a 22 Cricket.

MattB

WKR
Going through this with my 12 y/o daughter right now. She is very sensitive to recoil so after lots of .22 lr I started her on a .243 with reduced (60%) loads of H4895 and 55 gr bullets (should kick less than .223) and am having a brake installed to keep her comfortable. It's been quite a journey...

Going through this with my 12 y/o daughter right now. She is very sensitive to recoil so after lots of .22 lr I started her on a .243 with reduced (60%) loads of H4895 and 55 gr bullets (should kick less than .223) and am having a brake installed to keep her comfortable. It's been quite a journey...

I’d listen to this man