Best Pheasant/Grouse/Family Dog

While everyone is going to say their dog is the best, I happen to have had a few Small Munsterlanders and they have been the best dogs I could ever had wished for.
Both dogs have been close working, perfect for Grouse.

Adler
Uc4uYn6.jpg

pDVuLtF.jpg

778MiY2.jpg

Duncan
YDhGDj2.jpg

We got a GSP last year. She's great with the family, she's a velcro dog. I haven't had her in the woods yet but she did well on birds at the trainer.

When I was looking for a pup recently, I wanted a smallish dog that was good in the house and able to hunt; we spend 9 months of the year outside hunting season. I've had Brittany's before and liked them but this time settled for a field-bred English Cocker. 32 pounds of cuddle who loves to hunt.

+1 for German wirehaired pointer/Drahthaars. Different breed standards technically, but great dogs. If really focused on the family aspect, I'd consider leaning to the GWP lineage because they may have less a bit less drive for fur-bearing animals, which could be bothersome depending on whether you live in the country, burbs, or in a city. Probably not much of a difference though because any dog with decent drive would want to get after squirrels, rabbits, etc.

All in all I love the breed, but you can't rule out labs if you want an all around great family and sporting dog.

If you want a lot of compliments around the neighborhood, I'd go with the munsterlanders. Those are some pretty dogs.

I'm a Boykin guy, mostly because I'm originally from South Carolina and wanted a little nod toward home while I'm living out here in Oregon.

Mine is 5 years old and has been a good bird dog and even better family dog as we had two boys. She sleeps in bed with our 3 years old and is so tender and patient with these little hellions.

Any of the spaniels would be a good choice if "family dog" to you means a dog that looks you in the eyes, connects, and is super super sweet -- as well as being hell on birds.

Generally, the pointers I am around are way more aloof to human connection than spaniels. Aloof meaning they don't look me in the eye and cuddle up and want to be close. The pointers do cover a ton more ground in the upland woods and run faster to get ducks though.

I'm a dedicated Boykin guy because I like a close working dog that's small enough to get in our local blackberry and willows, but I'm often envious of pointers that range big when we're hunting more open areas and chukar canyons.

So to the OP, I'd suggest consider your average upland hunting terrain scenario, the pace and style you like to hunt, and aim toward a dog that delivers that style. Spaniel = close and quick pace and tight / potentially explosive flushes (though you'll know dog is getting bird) vs pointer = a little more methodical approach.

I haven’t read every post. I’m not surprised by the GSP popularity but I am surprised by the lack of Pudelpointer love.

I picked up my first bird dog this past March. A Pudelpointer from Cedarwood Gundogs. Have 4 small kids and he’s been great. Received NAVHDA NA Prize 1 last September. Can’t wait to get him out in the fields.

For grouse, it is really hard to beat and English Setter or Pointer. Both are excellent family dogs, with a slight nod going to the setter in this regard.

If you hunt pheasants with an elite pointing dog breed like these, you just need to get them on pheasants early. Their "bird dog" instincts are very, very sharp and they will figure it. Eventually having the dog force-broke to retrieve is also something to consider.

I haven’t read every post. I’m not surprised by the GSP popularity but I am surprised by the lack of Pudelpointer love.

I picked up my first bird dog this past March. A Pudelpointer from Cedarwood Gundogs. Have 4 small kids and he’s been great. Received NAVHDA NA Prize 1 last September. Can’t wait to get him out in the fields.
It's in there ;)

I’ve owned GSPs all my life. In my very biased opinion they are the absolute best. My current female and past dogs have all been very loyal and obedient. As far as family life goes, it all depends on your willingness to get them in situations where they can release their energy. From 8 weeks old to 3 years old if they aren’t getting at LEAST 1 full hour of extensive exercise and play in they are going to be maniacs around the house. Doesn’t seem like it’s quite as bad with other breeds like labs, setters, etc. as far as hunting goes, nearly every shorthair I’ve had has started pointing robins and crows in the yard the minute I bring them home. It’s in their DNA and all you have to do is capitalize and train it. Again, I am super biased but I truly can’t see a time in my life aside from when I can’t care for an animal where I won’t have at least one shorthair at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back