Best OTC/Freelance States/Hunts for 2024. Quick Opinions?

Liberty

FNG
Classified Approved
Well I ate the $50 so I could get busy on here. I tried going back through old threads but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Backstory. I'm 27, live in Northern New York. Uncertain on career going forward, no wife, no kids. Spontaneously trying to put together a trip west to do some hunting and feel out other areas of this country where I may jive better. In simple terms, not a fan of the policy in NY.. I'm thinking I'd be able to do a 2-3 week road trip sometime around last week of November, first week of December. Would like the area of focus to be mostly between the Rockies and the Mississippi, top to bottom. I know it's short notice. What freelance big game hunts would you guys recommend and why? I have enough connections I should be able to grab some waterfowl and upland hunts along the way. The big game hunts are foreign to me. No preference to Whitetail/Mulie, archery/muzzleloader/gun etc....just looking for an experience. All recommendations are welcomed. Should be able to PM as well. Thanks

I hope all suggestions are thru PMs only. Do the research. The information is out there if you go looking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Liberty

FNG
Classified Approved
I guess I was misunderstood. I'm just looking for simple input from people who have had good/bad experiences doing similar trips. I'm not expecting anyone's preferred wmu. More interested in hearing "I did a muzzleloader hunt in Nebraska and had a good experience" or "I did a muzzleloader hunt in Nebraska and wouldn't recommend it for this reason". I'm actively researching, just wanted some up to date input. Was hoping for a more welcoming response.

The $50 is just classified access, I thought.

I'd go do the waterfowl and Upland hunts. You spend the money on a tag, then you don't get to see if you jive with the area, you are just hunting. That's a small portion of everything there.

Any of the hunting info is easy to determine, your getting along with an area, that is harder to establish.

OP
L

Liberty

FNG
Classified Approved
The $50 is just classified access, I thought.

I'd go do the waterfowl and Upland hunts. You spend the money on a tag, then you don't get to see if you jive with the area, you are just hunting. That's a small portion of everything there.

Any of the hunting info is easy to determine, your getting along with an area, that is harder to establish.
Maybe. I thought it was 7 days/10 messages before you could start a thread or get into classifieds. I could care less about the classifieds at this point. You are absolutely right about the idea of upland/waterfowl vs big game. I guess the idea was if there is a non-resident friendly option out there, I wouldn’t mind trying to take down a deer along the way. Thanks for the input

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Liberty - take some time to be here, interact, read, learn, contribute…

You’ll find that pretty much any hunting forum online gets hundreds of new users joining each fall just looking for hard earned tips. That’s why you’re getting flak. The $50 fee is just for immediate access to classifieds/PMs, and users here won’t care about that, though I’m sure the admins appreciate your support.

Start listening to podcasts on hunting by well known guys. They tend to give out hunting application advice that many wish they wouldn’t

I’ll send you a PM with a few ideas.

A lot of the big game hunting in the west is closed by the end of November beginning of December except doe/cow hunts.