Best (only 1) 7PRC ammo for Coues and Mule Deer, and Elk

CantWait

FNG
I will be going to hunt in AZ and Colorado in the same month for AZ Coues, CO Mule and Elk. I will be using a 7PRC rifle and I wanted to sight in with one Ammo selection. Any recommendation of ammo that will work for all three species?

Thank you in advance

LightFoot

WKR
Either the 175 ELDX (Federal or Hornady) or the 180 ELDM (Hornady).

I wouldn’t hesitate to use the 160CX or new load from Barnes, 160 LRX, I think. (I don’t mind mono-metals)

Use whatever shoots best.

FWIW, I use 180 ELDMs in my 7PRC and would have no hesitation to use them on any deer or elk.

>>>——JAKE——>

Do a search on how badly Hornady screwed up 7PRC factory ammo.

Go with federal eld x.

elkivory

FNG
Either the 175 ELDX (Federal or Hornady) or the 180 ELDM (Hornady).

I wouldn’t hesitate to use the 160CX or new load from Barnes, 160 LRX, I think. (I don’t mind mono-metals)

Use whatever shoots best.

FWIW, I use 180 ELDMs in my 7PRC and would have no hesitation to use them on any deer or elk.

>>>——JAKE——>
Don't want to distract from thread, but what is problem with mono metals? Copper fouling? I just picked up 4 boxes of the cx at academy. They were half price and I just got a 300 win mag. Wanted more ammo for it. I have 2 boxes of Fed Prem TBT, I plan to hunt elk with.

LightFoot

WKR
Don't want to distract from thread, but what is problem with mono metals? Copper fouling? I just picked up 4 boxes of the cx at academy. They were half price and I just got a 300 win mag. Wanted more ammo for it. I have 2 boxes of Fed Prem TBT, I plan to hunt elk with.

Monos typically require a higher impact velocity to perform as designed. Like you mentioned some shooters have found that the copper fouling has created some precision issues. The general consensus is that if you are going to shoot copper, thoroughly clean your barrel before switching from lead to copper.

Monos (most of them) are designed for near 100% weight retention and can be relied on to punch through heavy hide and bone and often exit the offside hide. This assumes adequate velocity. Many shooters prefer more “explosive” cup and core bullets, like the Berger or ELD-X/M.

I like them all and I try to understand the difference. If I’m shooting a mono, I am willing to take more quartering shots, trusting the bullet. With cup and core, I prefer the broadside double lung.

I think what most people don’t understand is that each bullet, whether it is cup and core, partitioned, bonded, or mono has different strengths and weaknesses. Lean on the bullet strengths and you will be successful no matter which hunting bullet you use.

>>>——JAKE——>