Best moose saw option /packable??

Slugz

WKR
I wanted to hear the RS opinion on a saw.
Mainly for ribs, sternum, maybe neck vertebrae and pelvis splitting.

My current moose kill kit has a 8" foldable pruning saw and a Wyoming saw with bone/wood blades.

Thanks

cnelk

WKR
I use a Craftsman 10” fine tooth finish saw.
Buy it at Lowe’s for less than $15.

I made its own carrying sheath - it’s done a moose and several elk and deer.

I grew up in the Yukon. We thought we had died and gone to heaven when dad got one of those old knapp sport saws. It sure was a lot better than just a knife. I think what you have will work just fine.

PNWGATOR

WKR
15” Stanley hand saw is what we’ve used based on Bambistew’s recommendation. Works fantastic, is durable, light and inexpensive

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
I forgo
I use a Craftsman 10” fine tooth finish saw.
Buy it at Lowe’s for less than $15.

I made its own carrying sheath - it’s done a moose and several elk and deer.
I forgot to mention I have that also. :)
Used that on two Shiras.
Thanks

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Another vote for the Wyoming Saw. I've been using one for many years. More recently, I've mostly only used it for bone cutting in the field because I added a Silky Gomboy folding saw for wood.

Personally prefer the silky bigboy. Use it for cutting wood as well as bone. Also great for skull capping a moose without banging up your knuckles.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the small folders over the bow saw styles. Gerber exchange a blade is my go to for moose. I also have a Wyoming as well as an agawa canyon boreal 21. Depends on if I plan on cutting wood as well but for just bone the gerber or a bahco laplander are what's in my pack.

Randle

WKR
I made one of these to try out this year. I have used it around my property and like it so far

I don't backpack hunt, with that in mind I purchased a chainsaw 12 years ago for cutting them up. Upgraded to a Milwaukee 12v arborist saw 2 years ago. Fill the reservoir with Veggie oil and good to go. Their teeth will dull a chain in a heartbeat 😌

Sounds like a Stanley 15in or the Wyoming are the go to’s. Any other input got a Yukon hunt this year and it’s a bone in unit.

I've taken the WY saw as well as a few other folding saws and always go back to a hatchet. A hatchet is orders of magnitude more efficient than a saw for the described use. Takes about 5 seconds to take the ribs off a moose. I also pack a silky foldable in case I want to cut wood. My wife shot her moose 75 yards from the pickup last year. We started the job with a sawzall and it was back in the pickup after half rack of ribs and we pulled the hatchet back out. sidenote: the 36" Fiskars maul is a top notch wood splitter