Best midsize vehicle for deep snow?

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what your opinions are for the best midsize pickup or SUV for getting through deep snow off road, and at least mostly stock components. I've been beating the hell out of my full size lately and been stuck a couple times so I'm looking for something smaller.

Thanks!
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlin59

WKR
My stock Xterra does really well in deep snow. Cooper AT3 tires. Short wheel base makes it maneuverable on tight trials. Trade off there is it can get squirrelly on packed snow or ice.

I actually think a good AWD system with decent ground clearance would probably be better than a 4x4 truck. I saw a video of a Subaru doing way better in snow than a Silverado if I remember right.

Trailer a utv or atv with tracks to the area?

Mosby

WKR
I got a Chevy Colorado this year with both front and rear locking differential. Only other vehicle with that(that I am aware of) is the Jeep Rubicon. I have had it in mud and snow this year but nothing I would call deep. Pretty versatile vehicle imo. Smaller than a full size truck, but big enough for hunting equipment and towing a small trailer. Did great on some pretty tough trails this year. Because I plan on keeping it forever, I got it in a diesel. Best off road vehicle I could find that meets my needs. With chains, I think it would be tough to do better.

JWP58

WKR
I got a Chevy Colorado this year with both front and rear locking differential. Only other vehicle with that(that I am aware of) is the Jeep Rubicon. I have had it in mud and snow this year but nothing I would call deep. Pretty versatile vehicle imo. Smaller than a full size truck, but big enough for hunting equipment and towing a small trailer. Did great on some pretty tough trails this year. Because I plan on keeping it forever, I got it in a diesel. Best off road vehicle I could find that meets my needs. With chains, I think it would be tough to do better.

Dodge power wagon come with front/rear lockers, along with a solid front axle. Those Colorado duramax's are nice.

matthewmt

WKR
Mid 80s forunner was just in one in 10" of wet snow and climbed right over multiple Kelly hump size ridges. Could stop and start with out issue. I was very impressed. My buddy's 86 stock other than a old emu lift. It did have rocksliders on it which I'm sure helps. We were on a dirt bike track on private property. I have a 2012 tundra and I wouldn't dare in my truck.
Otherwise tacomas are really capable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
bowieknife50
I guess I should have included my use is hound hunting so I need to carry a dog box and be very mobile over two tracks and good roads too. Thanks for the replies.

ODB

WKR
The best snow car I’ve ever driven is a 2001 Honda CRV AWD with studs. It was unstoppable.

JWP58

WKR
I'd look for a Toyota Tacoma Trd (rear locker) and put 235/85/16 duratracs on it. You could probably run chains with the narrow tire.

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Stock vehicles I'd go 1st gen TRD taco 3.4, manual trans, mud tires and a good set of chains. That is, assuming you're looking for an older used vehicle to beat on.

Honestly though anything with at least one end locked and decent ground clearance is going to go pretty good in the snow. Step up to both ends locked, big wide tires aired down and you'll have a hard time getting stuck.

Two trains of thought, tall skinny tires on a heavy rig that can find bottom, or wide aired down tires on a light rig that can crawl on top.
I guess 3, big meaty tires and lots of horse power.

Since dog boxes I’d say Toyota Tacoma, lockers front and rear, biggest tires you can fit, BFG AT’s aired down, with an onboard compressor.

manitou1

WKR
I have been driving 4x4s for about 40 yrs and have yet to find one that compares to the off road capabilities of the Tacoma in a pickup chassis. This has been my personal experience. I drive a Ram now, only due to towing capabilities and campers.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

I’ve been eyeing that truck! Maybe one day.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what your opinions are for the best midsize pickup or SUV for getting through deep snow off road, and at least mostly stock components. I've been beating the hell out of my full size lately and been stuck a couple times so I'm looking for something smaller.

Thanks!
Tim

What tires and size are you running? Might look at tall skinnies.

S.Clancy

WKR
I used to put tire cables on an old Subie Forester and get through a foot easy. We would run up forest roads in MT in the winter where dudes were driving around giant 4x4s chained up, never had any problems. Got a lot of disbelieving looks tho.

Stickbow

FNG
Not to jump on the bandwagon but I was pretty happy with my tacoma for deep snow this season. 2in lift, 255/85/16s aired down but no chains and took me miles through some fairly deep snow on my cow hunt. Regular cab too so it only weighs 4000 lbs1548946844657.png

Light weight does help for sure, especially if you are trying to stay on top of it, But even heavy trucks can get around pretty good aired down. If you are dealing with under 2 feet of snow, tall skinnies and chains will probably do OK.

Aired down still works better by far.