Best Method You've Got to Fire Up the Wood Stove Fast in the Morning?

I have a 3 dog and all I use is a fire starter and some small wood. Open the damper, have the door slightly cracked, and light it. I'm amazed how fast it get going. I also bring a single burner tank top propane heater foe when it's really cold. Light it and then do the wood stove.

You're in a wall tent with a 4-dog stove, so bringing extra stuff isn't an issue. I'd light my 2-burner propane tank top heater when I got up to start my coffee water then jump back in bed. In 5-10 minutes it will be like a sauna in there and you can take all the time you want starting the fire.

For a true cold start, I use 4-6 Midwest Hearth starter squares. They burn approximately 10 minutes and will start a good fire even if skipping the kindling. To be honest, I've never had a cold start in my stove in the mornings. Load it heavy before bed and one heavy refill during the midnight piss break usually leaves a usable bed of glowing coals for an easy morning fire. One or two heat powered stove fans will really help circulate warm air around your tent also.
I try to get my stove sides up to 6-900 degrees before I cut back the air intake and go to bed.

Air.....I bring my Milwaukee battery fan. Get your wood in there, light a small chunk of fire starter, let it burn for a minute or so. Then set the fan on a chair near the stove, open the dampers and let er buck. The chimney will be glowing in under 3 minutes.
I use it all the time at uome with my Yoder smoker as well to control temp better when cooking certain things.

If you have a jetboil type stove as well and good ventilation, fire that up while you are in your sleeping bag and let it run for a bit to pre-warm your tent so you it wont be as bad waiting for the stove.

Propane torch and planer shavings....
Yeah, I'm planning to bring both of these actually

You're in a wall tent with a 4-dog stove, so bringing extra stuff isn't an issue. I'd light my 2-burner propane tank top heater when I got up to start my coffee water then jump back in bed. In 5-10 minutes it will be like a sauna in there and you can take all the time you want starting the fire.
Bringing a dual burner stove like this as well. Hoping the 2 - 20lb propane tanks will last us through the week using it this way and for cooking.

For a true cold start, I use 4-6 Midwest Hearth starter squares. They burn approximately 10 minutes and will start a good fire even if skipping the kindling. To be honest, I've never had a cold start in my stove in the mornings. Load it heavy before bed and one heavy refill during the midnight piss break usually leaves a usable bed of glowing coals for an easy morning fire. One or two heat powered stove fans will really help circulate warm air around your tent also.
I try to get my stove sides up to 6-900 degrees before I cut back the air intake and go to bed.

Nice. Just ordered some of those midwest hearth starters, thanks for the recommendation.

Trioxane fuel tablets. Light as a feather, and they burn at somewhere around 2000 degrees for a couple minutes. Makes starting a fire so easy it's cheating. Even with wet/crappy kindling

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Park your cot within reach of the wood stove door. Wake up once in the night to stoke it without having to get out of your bag. Then stoke it again in the morning. Then you dont have to light a new fire. I carry charcoal lighter fluid for a starter.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Bringing a dual burner stove like this as well. Hoping the 2 - 20lb propane tanks will last us through the week using it this way and for cooking.

I'm talking about a heater, not a cook stove. 30k BTU's.......I sold my wood stove because this thing works so well, but for a 3rd rifle hunt I'd want to use this until the stove got hot. I keep it on a 40lb tank. For me, having that heat first thing in the morning is priceless. Even with a stove stoked all night and glowing red using coal, I still would wake up with my sleeping bag encased in ice on those late season hunts.
100_3600.JPG

Last edited:
To answer the OP question about firing up the wood stove fast -

It's all about the draft - get the stove pipe hot quick.
I like to add some crumpled up newspaper to the top of the kindling/embers and light.
This will heat up the flue and create a good draft, re-igniting the kindling/coals in a hurry, providing the bottom damper is open

Like mentioned above, stoke it once overnight and it should have plenty of coals to restart with kindling and smaller pieces in the morning. If it's dead, then yes, a quick hit of paper (or cardboard it goes real good) with flue wide open will get some hot air up the flue, then kindling and off you go.

If you're stove and flue is stone cold in the morning, I question why bother with the stove then, the whole idea to me is to keep the tent warm all night long, otherwise, just bring a propane heater. I sized my stove to my tent and after a solid stoking before bed and setting the dampers, it's still going by 5:30-6 AM, tent is still warm.

There is no short cuts. Have a nest or kindling with a fire starter under it and ready to go the night before. Then have a hand full of slightly larger dry wood to load on top as soon as your kindle is going strong.
A good fire starter like pyro putty is worth it for the ease of use and burn time.

This^,

Have your stuff set up the night before and it can be a one-handed affair done from your bag. Fiddle with it when you need it and it can be annoying.

Back