Best method for selling newish vehicle?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those that have been successful selling a newer vehicle what do you recommend for a platform other than E-bay? I've considered Facebook marketplace but there are so many clowns on there I'm not sure I want to go that route.

Ucsdryder

WKR
How new? What is it? Are you buying a new car to replace it, or just selling an extra?

Ucsdryder

WKR
@philos Toyotas are probably the easiest cars to sell. Selling $30,000 vehicles private party is not easy and a pain in the ass. Facebook is great for anything under 10k where people pay cash. When financing gets involved it turns into a shit show.

Get online and do the sell my car for carvana, carmax, and any of the big franchise dealer groups in your areas (autonation is a good one). You might be surprised at what people will pay for Toyotas. The best time to sell a car is RIGHT NOW. Used car prices will make a steady march down the next 3-4 months. Get on it immediately.

I’m in Denver, if you’re close shoot me a message and I’ll give you some guidance. If you want to have an idea of what your car is most likely worth I’d be happy to help as well.

180ls1

WKR
There are auto brokers who will list it everywhere and do that stuff for you. Assuming you don't want to deal with the ads and related.

Marble

WKR
I've had great success in marketplace.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I've sold one with financing. Just met the buyer at their bank, they cut a check, I signed the title and left. It was easy.

I've sold a few others for 27k-44k and the buyer had cash. Even easier. Except my hand got cramped counting money...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
a new toyota any big dealer should be interested. get a carvana carmax quote so you have something to base it on

2ski

WKR
That new of a Toyota 4 runner is going to be tough. Real tough. But I'll make you a screaming deal and take it off your hands for 5k

The rokslide classifieds...duh!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
FB, CL, Autotrader, also Carmax, Carvana, etc, etc, and Rokslide ;). If you're not in a hurry then give the likes of Carmax etc some time. I didn't like any of their first offers. After a month or two and 2-3 more offers Carmax finally got close to what I wanted, and was about $2500 more than their first offer.

Can we get some deets on the vehicle? Color, trim package, miles, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
Is the title free and clear or is it financed?

Free and clear title is much easier to sell for you and the buyer

Sold a 2023 equinox to Carvana, they made the best offer and picked It up from 180 miles away. Pretty painless.
If you’re a glutton for punishment, weeding through idiots on marketplace might bring a higher price.

tdhanses

WKR
Checkout Bring a Trailer, you can search what the same vehicle has sold for on there lately.

h2so4

WKR
@Ucsdryder F Autonation. lol. I’d prefer to never deal with them again. I bought a new Jeep from them a few years ago- they were the only folks to service it. I wanted to sell and get their offer. It took over 60min for them to duck around and lowball me. And their service dept sucked, too.

h2so4

WKR
@philos when you check the valve at kbb.com you can select an option to receive offers. This was pretty painless for me. Once I contacted the first two I got a higher offer than they initially emailed about. Just be sure to select the highest condition that is possible for your vehicle from the start.

SBTX

FNG
For a SUV or truck made for off road and backcountry you get a premium price selling in the right areas. Sold a very capable 4runner built for backcountry, but at the time I was in South Texas. The buyer came from California. Most of the interest was in the rocky states. I've also had very good success trading in to luxury brand dealers for pre owned off brand. Like going to a Mercedes dealer and buying a truck. Something about inventory taxes... Good luck selling