best laid plans,,,,,,,,,,,now solo

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
so a friend and I have been looking at doing a elk hunt in Colorado since our OTC archery hunt back in 2010 or so,,,he was adamant that "this was the year",,,so him with 7 and I with 9 going in put in for what I figured was the best ML hunt we could get with the points we had,,,,,,,,,

I should have seen the signs when he came back from Bogota talking how the altitude made him sick,,,,,,

just before the backdoor opened he was talking that he might not an go,,,,,,

now it' official,,,,,,,,,he is out,,,,,,,I;m still going I reckon,,,,not gonna give up this elk hunt as it feels right and I have already spent a bunch on maps, planning work, etc,,,,,,,,,area will kick my butt but I can now go at my pace, at my tempo,,,,,,,

so what as a two man hunt is now a solo op,,,,,,I'm gonna make the best of it,,,,,,

already talked with a pack outfit to bring out my elk, eyeballing plans A through Z for what areas to hunt,,,,hoping to make a short scout trip here in July or mid August (depends on work),,,,but will be in area a couple of days early anyhow,,,,,plan to spend the whole season if need be,,,,,,

good luck with the preparations Folks!

Hokkaido

Banned
Bum deal brother, I feel for you. But that's what happens when you rely on people, especially those that have interests in Columbia. Would've been better off to think of it as a solo hunt from the beginning.

But hey, there are some positive things here. We don't know what hunt you drew or the dates, but imagine if you both spot, or hear, a bull and both of you have tags. Imagine if he a monster, 350+ bull. How is that gonna shake down? Who is gonna get the shot? What if you tag the bull? What if your partner is all pissy about it? What if he shoots one opening evening.. are you gonna spend the next day or more (plus all that energy) helping packing it out when you could be hunting up your bull? Lots of things to deal with there, lots of questions you must ask yourself.

On a hunt like that where you've waited to partake for nine long years, there is only one thing to think about, and that is yourself, you should find a way to beat the loneliness. Lots of guys talk to cameras nowadays as if they were buddies, and although they don't pay half of the fuel bills, they come with a lot less dramas.

If your friend is silly enough to burn a hunt that took him seven years to draw, consider yourself lucky that you're not having to hunt with him. Saddle up, go out there and kick some ass, and of course post your videos here. Pay the packers well.

freshta

WKR
Went solo last year; my first trip. Made me realize what the term "big country" really meant. Realized that packing out an elk from 11,000 was going to prolly kill this flatlander so tried finding partner this year. Big bust. Had two, now have none. Like you, going anyway. Thanks for PM with your packer's information. I'm gonna give them a call later this week. Have fun!!

Tony

OP
woodmoose

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
his trip to Bogota was legit,,,,,recruiting students for the university he worked for then,,,,,,

it's all good,,,,as Hokkaiddo said,,,,only need one elk to get stupid this way!

Iron Mike

FNG
Woodmoose

Go for it but take time to put together a good game plan. Not just a hunt plan but a living plan. I archery hunt in the wilderness solo every year and I am 58. I have been hunting the last couple of years at the end of the season with a great partner but early season will see me solo for 4-5 days at a time and sometimes a week or more. I too got left high and dry by a "Friend" at the last minute on a 10 day hunt a number of years ago and went anyway. It was awesome. I pack everything on my back and try to keep in pretty good shape as you have only yourself to rely on. Looking forward to September and the wilderness every year is what keeps me going in the winter. Make sure you are in shape and bring a book or two. I carry a Delorme Inreach so I can keep track of the outside world and summon help in case of emergency. It can get lonely sometimes and If I run into another hunter or camp way back in I do have a tendency to maybe talk too much!
Look at this trip as an opportunity to put yourself in a situation you have not been in before and the challenge that goes with it. I promise you you will come back from it a better hunter with a new perspective on your capabilities.
If you want to talk some more about it or have any questions PM me.
Look forward to the trip - it will be awesome!

OP
woodmoose

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
many or my past hunts have been solos (Idaho, Wyoming, ect) so not new territory for me,,,,but do appreciate the advise,,,,,,,just have to adjust from what was a two man show to a one man,,,,,have the plan in final development and we will see how it goes,,,,,,,,,

need to get the ol' flintlocks out to the range and pick one,,,,,all other hunts have been bow,,,,,,,

take care