Best knives for gutting and skinning

Pakrdbl

FNG
Super happy with my Outdoor Edge RazorBone Multi-Blade Combo Set

Big blade performance with folding knife convenience with one tool that never needs sharpening.

4JRanch

FNG
I second the Outdoor Edge knives. No need to sharpen while dressing. Last season we got two bucks late afternoon and dressed and broke them both down with this knife. New blades swap out in 10 seconds.
just ordered one after seeing your post

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a SOG twitch 2 to several deer. It is usually just my edc pocket knife, and then I tune it up a little before each trip.
I have been playing around with the gerber exchangeable blade system as well and so far I have liked it. The steel isn’t the best but is more durable than a havalon from what I can tell.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
For predators and small game I stay away from the havalon and razor blade knives. They are just too sharp and easily put holes in thin skinned pelts. I prefer my little single blade Case knife for furbearers, and also use an inexpensive $7 victorinox paring knife for detail work on the feet and head.

Last edited:

repins05

WKR
Benchmade for me. Havalon is hard to beat in terms speed and getting it done. That used to be my primary focus.... get it done. However, I like the feel and weight of a fixed blade knife. It is also relaxing for me to sharpen the blade and step back and appreciate the hunt. Throw some whiskey back. I still get it done.

My Benchmade will keep up for a whole deer and much of a second....but the Havalon will get me when I have to go to sharpen.

Scrappy

WKR
That looks slick. You carry that without a blade on it, or do you have some sort of sheath for it?
I keep about six blades in this little box and throw it as well as the handle in with my tags. Takes up no space and lite as a feather. 1000002899.jpg

Last edited:

Lando

WKR
That is why I like that work sharp bench grinder thing. I can set a wide bevel and then it is easy to maintain an edge as I work on animal or at home. With top of the line steel, "sharpening" isn't really needed past the first set of the bevel and apex and I think that should have a ton of value for the sharpening adverse folks. Just hone and polish.
which work sharp attachment are you referring to?

Anyone have experience with one of these?

Lando

WKR
Anyone have experience with one of these?

That certainly looks to be quite light, but am I seeing it correctly that you'd also need a Phillips screwdriver to replace the blade?

yfarm

WKR
Knives of Alaska muskrat for skinning or dexter sheep skinning knife.
victorinox 3-4” paring knife works well for deboning,wicked sharp and easy to sharpen. One step above the scalpel previously mentioned.

Scrappy

WKR
Where did you get the box, gut hook blade and handle?

The 60a blades you might find cheaper elsewhere if you shop around.

The gut hooks come in the little boxes and I just started putting blads in them. The gut hook I wasn't impressed with due to all the hair they cut. It's the only gut hook I've ever used, so not sure if they all do that.