Best hiking shirt material

PhillyB

WKR
Hey everyone- I am looking to pick up a light weight shirt for all my hiking. I like to hike into my area with shorts and a t-shirt, but I am unsure of what material. Most of my hunting is in the early season August and early September so I need it to breathe well and dry fast, as well as feel good against sweaty skin. I am not concerned about the pattern and camo is not needed.

I considered the Firstlite llano ss, but then did some research on backcountry.com and there are a number of different materials that are all 'quick drying' and 'lightweight'.

So I was hoping to get some input on what people like and what to stay away from. Thanks

dotman

WKR
For a shirt I believe nothing is better then merino wool, for shorts I prefer convertible pants made for fishing (I know you didn't ask but why not add them anyway). The shirt will wick mositure and keep you cool plus add warmth when the temps change, syn shirt will not do this as well The convertible pants can be used as shorts or pants and will be lite weight and dry quickly.

Last edited:

Beastmode

WKR
Take a look at REI. You can narrow down to what your preferences are, lightweight, water wicking, etc... There's lots to choose from. I just got a savanah shirt from them on sale and I'm anxious to try it out.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
I use the Columbia Omni-dry pants. They are convertible, light and dry quick. They are my pants of choice for hiking, scouting, etc.

Now I need to get a shirt that performs just as well. I think I am gonna go with the merino wool for the lightweight and odor control

dotman

WKR
I know Sierra Trading Post has some merino t-shirts on sale, last I checked, for $19.99 that might be worth looking at.

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I have Ibex merino wool shirts that I do all of my hiking in. I have hiked in synthetics before, and while they are lightweight and quick drying, that get stinky, quickly, while wool does not from my experience.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For just hiking and not hunting I like a shirt made by Terramar made of Thermasilk. It dries exceptionally quickly, doesnt retain a smell, but is rather fragile.

JNDEER

WKR
I hunt very hot weather to just hot weather. I wear the BPS Enduraskin long sleeve.

Lawnboi

WKR
In really hot weather i still prefer a poly long sleeve as my choice for hard hiking when stench isnt planned on being an issue.

If i was to get another shirt to wear as a hiking shirt for in and out solely. I would pick up a sitka core tee shirt. And its camo so if you have to wash a baselayer and need something you still have something.

slim9300

WKR
These are the perfect shirt for me. You can find them on sale for $40-50. The advantage is that merino dries quickly and takes many days to smell. Also, when you get hot just unzip the zipper and you are cooled down very quickly. I hike with the zipper open and I hardly sweat. The material is very thin but keeps me warm down into the high 40s and cool up to the high 70s.

http://www.smartwool.com/mens/m-lightweight-zip-t-5930.html

Last edited:

RUTTIN

WKR
I like my Core4 Element merino baselayer for hiking and hunting in while I am on the move. It wicks moisture, doesn't stink, and will keep your temperature regulated pretty good. Look for them on Camofire and you can usually find a pretty good deal.

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I've done alot of hiking in various areas including the Sierras, Cascades, desert regions and the best shirt for me is REI Sahara. It is designed breathe very well and provide protection from the sun's rays. It also dries very quickly. Many people use them fishing in tropical areas. In the high mountains they maybe a little chilly in the morning but once you start hiking you will be fine. I usually keep a thin sweater handy for when I take a rest on the trail.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a coupon code for any of the stuff from Sierra Trading Post:
CST2951Y

I like lightweight 1/4 zip long sleeve shirts for hiking because they provide protection from the sun and I can pull up the sleeves and unzip the collar if I get too hot. I am switching to merino because I stink whenever I wear synthetics for a day of hiking, much less several days of backpacking.