Best guided moose hunt?

Looking for recommendations for a top tier guided moose hunt in alaska or the Yukon. Been on two DIY moose hunts in alaska that were great experiences but the actual hunting part wasn’t good and I would actually like to get a bull. I kinda look at it like dating in that you gotta run through a couple bad ones to really appreciate a good one.
Not concerned about the cost, really looking for a high quality hunt.

Scottf270

WKR
Cabot Pitts in Alaska. Phil Shoemaker in Alaska. Scott Mileur in Alaska. Might also look at most any of the NWT outfitters. I hunted twice with the Lancaster's at Nahanni Butte / NWT Outfitters.
Hate that you came up empty on your diy hunts. Might get on the list at Papa Bear Adventures ( I'm 2 for 2 with them). Great outfit, great area. Way cheaper and more satisfying.

Mojave

WKR
I would hunt the Yukon, unless you had an outfitter that owned their concession.

AKPA18

FNG
Cabot Pitts in Alaska. Phil Shoemaker in Alaska. Scott Mileur in Alaska. Might also look at most any of the NWT outfitters. I hunted twice with the Lancaster's at Nahanni Butte / NWT Outfitters.
Hate that you came up empty on your diy hunts. Might get on the list at Papa Bear Adventures ( I'm 2 for 2 with them). Great outfit, great area. Way cheaper and more satisfying.
👆Like

Homer

FNG
I can’t say I’m a fan of guides at all but Gakona guide service is one of the good ones and you’ll leave with a moose.

OP
H
Thank you for the recommendations I will look into them. Been on the wait list for papa bear for about 4 years and can’t get drawn, there reputation is so good it seems impossible to go unless you’ve already been with them.

I killed a Yukon bull many years ago on a guided (by necessity) hunt. Since then I've killed a number of Alaska bulls diy. I thought the Yukon hunt was great and satisfying...until the day I walked up to my first diy kill in Alaska. I was alone and called in 2 nice bulls together. I killed the bigger bull with an 18 yard shot.

For me the guided hunt offers maybe 1/3 the pleasures and satisfaction of a diy hunt regardless of a kill or not. I simply cannot find what I'm looking for by following the footprints of a guide. However, if the objective is a killed moose above all else, a guided hunt (for your first) maximizes the odds.

I personally would focus on Alaska today vs Canada. Good luck with your decision.

buckpro

FNG
Don Lind at Macmillan river, specifically their horse camp, which has over 100% success on rifle moose hunts(sheep hunters killing one on a trophy fee). Great guides, amazing area and an adventure.

OP
H
I killed a Yukon bull many years ago on a guided (by necessity) hunt. Since then I've killed a number of Alaska bulls diy. I thought the Yukon hunt was great and satisfying...until the day I walked up to my first diy kill in Alaska. I was alone and called in 2 nice bulls together. I killed the bigger bull with an 18 yard shot.

For me the guided hunt offers maybe 1/3 the pleasures and satisfaction of a diy hunt regardless of a kill or not. I simply cannot find what I'm looking for by following the footprints of a guide. However, if the objective is a killed moose above all else, a guided hunt (for your first) maximizes the odds.

I personally would focus on Alaska today vs Canada. Good luck with your decision

I personally would focus on Alaska today vs Canada. Good luck with your decision
I hear that and definitely appreciate the merits of DIY hunting. Just had two bad hunts in row and feeling a little burned. Ive heard that your success in alaska is 90% where you get dropped off and in a combined 25 days of moose hunting I have yet to get a good look at a decent bull. The wife is getting tired of me coming home with a good camping story. So the goal is a dead bull, then ill probably go back DIY once the monkey is off the back

OP
H
Not anywhere even remotely close to reality. More like 30% (max) harvest success for DIY nonresident moose hunters that use transporters. ADF&G has a good data base on that stuff.
I meant a lot of ur success is dependent on where u get dropped off. Like if there’s a lot of moose around ur chances are better. Wasn’t quoting success rates

I meant a lot of ur success is dependent on where u get dropped off. Like if there’s a lot of moose around ur chances are better. Wasn’t quoting success rates

You wouldn't want to get dropped off for moose in say, something like GMU 1 or GMU 26, or somewhere similar.

cgasner1

WKR
Personally I would look at some other aspects of the hunt that may also check a bucket list for you. Like I don’t have stock so I think a deep horse hunt would be cool to do some day. I hunt elk every year so I’d prefer when I do finally do one to maybe do moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk